Upgrading the swag... Your thoughts !!

Albynsw

Yep center pole tent for me, 10 times better than a swag in every respect.
Smaller when packed
lighter when packed
quicker set up and pack up
fits in car so not getting covered in what ever nature is throwing at it
more room inside

I have tried a centrepole on a trip we did and they stand up to all the elements really well. The thing that stopped me getting one was the weight, they are around 20kg which is too much for me so opted for the domed double swag as it is lighter being less canvas but still has a bucket floor. The downside is you can’t stand in them but that was a trade off that suited us.

I don’t use the mattress that comes with them, they are too bulky. I prefer a good quality self inflatable

Swaggie

I have tried a centrepole on a trip we did and they stand up to all the elements really well. The thing that stopped me getting one was the weight, they are around 20kg which is too much for me so opted for the domed double swag as it is lighter being less canvas but still has a bucket floor. The downside is you can’t stand in them but that was a trade off that suited us.

I don’t use the mattress that comes with them, they are too bulky. I prefer a good quality self inflatable

Occasionally when we’re not moving around and in the same spot for 5 days or so I’ll take the tent with the STRIPPER pole ...

Otherwise it’s a swag most times.

discomatt

The bigger center poles are heavy, I have 2 one is a bit heavy and bulky but big, the other one is smaller and much lighter, it sits perfectly behind the front passengers seat

slivertoy

i went from a swag to a OZ Tent RV2, as I only go away solo, the RV2 was a good size, 2mt x 2mt footprint, and it's high enough for me, 6ft, to stand in, also have a Oztrail XL stretcher that's 2mt long, it fits the tent in well. it is a 30 second tent, once you get it off the roofrack, take it out of the bag, set it on the ground. :D
Rain, hail, wind and snow, it's held up to it all.
the only down side is that it doesn't break down any shorter that 2mt, and it's heavy, at @23kgand you have to heave it up onto a lifted 4x4.
Works great for me.

boobook

Does anyone ever read what the question is before answering it? No wonder so many people come to earth, get no meaningful answers then leave never to be seen again.

The OP in the very first post stated that he wanted to get a new SWAG and that he already has a centre pole tent. Then he gets comments and recommendations about all kinds of tents including center pole ones, and how heavy they are. So what! He knows that. Who cares what posters own unless it is about a Swag as per the question.

Earth is getting out of control with OT irrelevant posts over the last year IMHO. It's the Rona effect.

Last edited:

Triton14

i went from a swag to a OZ Tent RV2, as I only go away solo, the RV2 was a good size, 2mt x 2mt footprint, and it's high enough for me, 6ft, to stand in, also have a Oztrail XL stretcher that's 2mt long, it fits the tent in well. it is a 30 second tent, once you get it off the roofrack, take it out of the bag, set it on the ground. :D
Rain, hail, wind and snow, it's held up to it all.
the only down side is that it doesn't break down any shorter that 2mt, and it's heavy, at @23kgand you have to heave it up onto a lifted 4x4.
Works great for me.
I know a swag is a swag & a tent is a tent but I think the Oztrail RV's are the next in line as progression goes, been thinking of getting one for ages.

Having owned 3 swags(currently own 2) I would still add an RV to the line up in addition to my swags.

Infact I am selling my awning tent to help fund an RV as I think there are times(for me anyway) that an RV would be better over a swag & better that an awning tent as its a hassle having it connected to the vehicle(even though mine is detachable put a pain to put up).

The lenght as you mentioned is a bit of an issue but the ease of putting them up & down quickly trumps that flaw I'd say.

In the end we buy what suits us as the time but things can be sold & upgraded.

Bomber2012

Does anyone ever read what the question is before answering it? No wonder so many people come to earth, get no meaningful answers then leave never to be seen again.

The OP in the very first post stated that he wanted to get a new SWAG and that he already has a centre pole tent. Then he gets comments and recommendations about all kinds of tents including center pole ones, and how heavy they are. So what! He knows that. Who cares what posters own unless it is about a Swag as per the question.

Earth is getting out of control with OT irrelevant posts over the last year IMHO. It's the Rona effect.
Hahaha , You’ve be here long enough to know 4x4earth is the home of frankenthreading . :D:D:D:D

Albynsw

Just when I was about to tell everyone about a butterfly I just saw :p

mikehzz

Can you keep on topic please @boobook? This thread is about swags, not about how Earth threads don't stay on topic. I'm sick of posts complaining about off topic posts. How does everyone feel about my post complaining about posts complaining about off topic posts? :)

Triton14

You could also argue that after a OP says thanks for the input "I am going with this" that the thread should end there.

Would be a lot of very short threads on here if that was the case :) :p

LurchWA

I've always been interested in upgrading to a stretcher and using my self-inflatable mattress on it but my years in the army on stretchers + being almost two meters tall... have never had a restful sleep on them... ever. I hate the sensation of 1/3 of my legs hanging off the end. But the setups above look tempting to try. Does any manufacturer make longer than normal stretchers?
Yep know the feeling mate, I am 6'8 and have one of these, you cant go wrong, found a mattress is handy though

Albynsw

I far prefer a stretcher tent to a swag, or swag on a stretcher. I've been using one of these for nearly 10 years and I keep gong back to it after trying other things.
Under an awning is best and great in summer without the fly.

My daughter just bought one of these on your recommendation. She just set it up for a look in the lounge room now. Looks like a good thing

Rusty Panels

I don't know about you guys but this would be an upgrade for me!!!

1jpg.jpg

mikehzz

My daughter just bought one of these on your recommendation. She just set it up for a look in the lounge room now. Looks like a good thing
If you're out in the open, make sure you peg the foot end guy rope tight so that any water can run off. If it's loose then the water can pool and cause problems. Under an awning, no problem.