Upgrading the swag... Your thoughts !!

cam04

I far prefer a stretcher tent to a swag, or swag on a stretcher. I've been using one of these for nearly 10 years and I keep gong back to it after trying other things.
Under an awning is best and great in summer without the fly.

I had a funny evening at Sandy Cape at Fraser a few years back. My pissed uncle setting one up for the first time, of course without reading any instructions. Watching him trying to post his drunk arse backwards in through the front door on one of those was hilarious. Then again some time in the middle of the night it happened all over again. The next morning he found the side zip....

denk

I've always been interested in upgrading to a stretcher and using my self-inflatable mattress on it but my years in the army on stretchers + being almost two meters tall... have never had a restful sleep on them... ever. I hate the sensation of 1/3 of my legs hanging off the end. But the setups above look tempting to try. Does any manufacturer make longer than normal stretchers?

Grippy

I have a Down Under swag, bloody brilliant, pricey though. Nice thick canvas, excellent mattress, nice and wide for my extra girth. Had it out in the pissing rain a few times and not a drop inside, apart from when I have to unzip it for a piss in the middle of the night, or when I set it up in a puddle area when slightly inebriated, even then nothing got wet inside, the canvas was just damp .
I'd rather sleep in it than in the bed sometimes, especially when paired with a stretcher, bloody comfy.

mikehzz

I've always been interested in upgrading to a stretcher and using my self-inflatable mattress on it but my years in the army on stretchers + being almost two meters tall... have never had a restful sleep on them... ever. I hate the sensation of 1/3 of my legs hanging off the end. But the setups above look tempting to try. Does any manufacturer make longer than normal stretchers?
The Bunker XL is 210cm long. I'd get inside one at the shop to be sure though.

Swaggie

I had a funny evening at Sandy Cape at Fraser a few years back. My pissed uncle setting one up for the first time, of course without reading any instructions. Watching him trying to post his drunk arse backwards in through the front door on one of those was hilarious. Then again some time in the middle of the night it happened all over again. The next morning he found the side zip....

Had something similar years ago with the bro in law,he hadnt used a swag before after a few drinks he went in head first down to the foot end, heard something along the lines of there’s not much room down here.. :D :D

Me i couldn’t reply because of the laughter...

Colly18

and all murchison swags last for at least 10+ years. there are plenty around that are 20+ years old. So when you look at the ROI its pretty bloody good. Every component of this swag is australian made . These swags will outlast anything made overseas
I'm pretty sure our double swag is a murchison swag I purchased at a tourism caravan and camping show in Fremantle in early 1997. 24 years on and still going strong. I eventually replaced the mattress in 2019 :)

swagging it (Custom).JPG

Grippy

and all murchison swags last for at least 10+ years. there are plenty around that are 20+ years old. So when you look at the ROI its pretty bloody good. Every component of this swag is australian made . These swags will outlast anything made overseas
Same with mine, not a Murchison , but been through all sorts and at least 10 years old. My mate has been through a few in that time.

Bru9

Will never understand the appeal of swags to me they are a poverty and lacking dignity experience. But there aren't a lot of good lite tents really.
Swags are simply too small to get dressed inside properley, keep cool while sleeping properly, sorry to me they for for guys who do the same old same old.

For ground based sleeping, i just use a 4p synthetic dome that gets rolled up in about 10secs and stuffed in a rear wheel bag ( one of two bags). The tent takes 1min20secs to setup, another 1-2 for extra pegging and guys of the fly to keep well taught in rain if needed.
Bedding is self inflating either king single or deluxe double and all season wool blankets, 300-400bucks on quality quilts and sheets, adds another 1-2mins setup time, the amount of bumming it out there I see, i figure this setup can't be any worse. Comfort is good, all the space to move around.
When you get home you will pay for it with the work cleaning, synthetic is so easy to clean and dry, when tent packs up by another online and good to go.
If we talk extended stays well stuff swags you need a real touring fortress.
I dunno whether to laugh or cry at swags.o_O

There are my thoughts.

Triton14

Will never understand the appeal of swags to me they are a poverty and lacking dignity experience. But there aren't a lot of good lite tents really.
Swags are simply too small to get dressed inside properley, keep cool while sleeping properly, sorry to me they for for guys who do the same old same old.

For ground based sleeping, i just use a 4p synthetic dome that gets rolled up in about 10secs and stuffed in a rear wheel bag ( one of two bags). The tent takes 1min20secs to setup, another 1-2 for extra pegging and guys of the fly to keep well taught in rain if needed.
Bedding is self inflating either king single or deluxe double and all season wool blankets, 300-400bucks on quality quilts and sheets, adds another 1-2mins setup time, the amount of bumming it out there I see, i figure this setup can't be any worse. Comfort is good, all the space to move around.
When you get home you will pay for it with the work cleaning, synthetic is so easy to clean and dry, when tent packs up by another online and good to go.
If we talk extended stays well stuff swags you need a real touring fortress.
I dunno whether to laugh or cry at swags.o_O

There are my thoughts.
Its an each to thier own thing!

I get dressed in my swag every morning, no issues.
I even leave my cloths for the next day in them so that are not freezing cold.

Synthetic tents are useless in very cold weather(as in zero/sub zero), I'd rather have a canvas tent which I do have as well.

Synthetic tent in the middle of summer/spring, yes absolutely.

So I think its a thing like getting dressed, you put cloths on to suit the seasons.

For this reason I have 2 tent, one poly & one canvas & 2 different sized swags, both centre pole dome.

Colly18

No one is around, so bathe and get dressed in the fresh open air. A bit crowded, well I've been know to get dressed between a couple open car doors. What's the problem? :)

Triton14

No one is around, so bathe and get dressed in the fresh open air. A bit crowded, well I've been know to get dressed between a couple open car doors. What's the problem? :)
I do a lot high country winter trips where is usually below zero in the morning so opening the swag in the nud might sound invigorating but its far from it.

And as usual 1st thing you need to do in the morning is have a pee so I dont want to spend a couple of minutes tring to find it :p

Showering in usually in the afternoon when its warm & the solar shower bladder has had enough time to warm up, throw the rope over a tree branch & throw a small tarp down if there is snow everywhere & go for it.

synchro

I agree - I decided I needed a swag quite a few years back and started to investigate and concluded a pyramid tent was a better option. Swags these days are really small tents and have all the restrictions you mentioned - my pyramid tent just has four pegs and a single upright pole - goes up quicker than most swags. Folded up with mattress and bedding is about the same size as a decent swag. Can stand up, can store gear inside, can be cool in summer but I agree is colder in winter but an extra doona fixes that.

I appreciate all to their own but for me I will stay with my pyramid tent.

junior613

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for your all your thoughts & stories ( Ahh, the drunken "getting back into the swag trick". Been there !@! ). I keep coming back to the Burke & Wills Redgum.. Heavy duty ( should last me the next 30 years ), quality, size & price. Plus when touring with SWMBO and stopping somewhere for 2 -3 days before heading out again ( these trips we take the tent ), we can roll out the swag in the tent as a bed rather than carrying more stuff... Also under the awing we've adapted the old swag to use a spreader bar rather than pegging out seeing we normally throw out the CGear mat so the B&W looks like we can do that again.. Plus $460 from Wildearth at the moment makes it hard to go past.... Any comments !!!

Colly18

discomatt

Yep center pole tent for me, 10 times better than a swag in every respect.
Smaller when packed
lighter when packed
quicker set up and pack up
fits in car so not getting covered in what ever nature is throwing at it
more room inside