Upgrading the swag... Your thoughts !!

junior613

4x4 Earth Contributer
Time has come to upgrade the old double swag, an Oztrail MItchell.. Have been looking through the numerous brands & styles. Still want to be able to use the new one as another bed for extra visitors or when we travel and take the tent ( single pole canvas type with side pole ) also, which we roll out inside rather than take an extra mattress. Prefer Aussie made etc & price isn't an issue.

Looking at either the AOS Tracker Dome or the Jolly Swagman Brumby. Any thoughts ??? Have I missed any ??

Cheers in advance..

Dave

John U

The recent addition of stretcher underneath my single swag was an awakening for me. Think I will be rolling this way for quite some time now.
1610862839314.png

Basic but comfortable.

Triton14

I have a Wanderer single & a Kings big daddy deluxe & both are great but I recon the kings is great value for money, both are centre pole type.

As a BCF member if the price of the Wandered double was close to the Kings when of special Id go for that, the mattress is a better one even though the same thickness.

After my 1st swag which was tapered Id never go that way again, the centre poles are just so much better imo with so much more room.

cam04

I hear there is a bit of a waiting list for these?
Jaysus, I’ve got my all Aussie, handmade in Tenterfield, Ultima GP downstairs. Looks like I might have made an inadvertent investment going by those prices. Shall we start the bidding at $350?o_O

denk

I've had my Snowy Mountain swag since 1993. It is still going strong. Made in Mansfield.
these look great quality and better priced than those Murchison swags. I like the dome option as well

mikehzz

I far prefer a stretcher tent to a swag, or swag on a stretcher. I've been using one of these for nearly 10 years and I keep gong back to it after trying other things.
Under an awning is best and great in summer without the fly.

Albynsw

I far prefer a stretcher tent to a swag, or swag on a stretcher. I've been using one of these for nearly 10 years and I keep gong back to it after trying other things.
Do you add a mattress or the stretcher is fine on its own?

mikehzz

Do you add a mattress or the stretcher is fine on its own?
I use a sea to summit blow up that packs away to nothing at all and goes in with my sleeping bag. It blows up with about 6-7 breaths, no pump needed. All up it's less to carry than a swag with a stretcher, because I have that combo as well. The stretcher tent actually fits into the bag my stretcher only came in. Ronny Dahl and Stephan Fischer use versions of the same thing....but I was using one first. :)

Bomber2012

I went from a swag to an oztent xl bunker with an exped self inflating mattress , best move for me . Its super comfortable and as @mikehzz said ” under an awning “ it’s awesome .
The swag/stretcher combo is perfect for my style of camping , with the fly on its warm in a Victorian winter (occasional snow) and fly off gives you a nice breeze in warmer weather .
Its quick and easy to set up and price wise probably around the price of a decent swag .