so it would be worth seeking advice as to whether water which
has been in these pipes for some time, especially, when they
heat up in the sun, will have acquired any of the chemicals
from the plastic and is it wise to drink, especially if children
will be drinking it?

MH

pommyphil

Great job
As far as water sitting in the pipes my home only has tank water we use the same pvc as down pipes (only in 100mm) the pipes remain full at all times and only get refreshed when it rains tranfereing the rain into our storage tanks

I would not use it for long term storage as we have had water go stale in back up tanks
but you wont have any problems while camping

Phil

dirvine

If you look at my avtar you will see I have 3 lengths of storm water pipe on my roof. All up it holds about 42 litres. I dont have it filled all the time, only on trips where I need water. Yes it is heavy and I empty it 1st. Other issue for me was at first it was held in place by straps boted to the rhino bars. The whole unit started to slip forward or back when I used it the 1st time. Solved this by using a rachet tie down stap hooked around both ends and around each rhino bar. I find it handy as it is out of the way, if it does leak no issues as its outside, and it does not take up any space that I would use for anything else. I can and do place my max tracks and solar panels on top of it when touring, although my pic shows the tracks tied beside the water tank.

G_ute

Very inspriational.
A good way to fill lots of voids under the tray with enough bends I suppose.
I wonder if this would be feasable with lots of 2" rural pipe, but I guess it may be too expensive given the cost of fittings at the local ag store.

Petunia

I wonder if this would be feasable with lots of 2" rural pipe, but I guess it may be too expensive given the cost of fittings at the local ag store.
A thing stuck in my head from a dairy engineer, you do not need to double a pipes diameter to double its volume.

[2 inch ag poly] 50mm ... = 1.96 liters per meter .... 25.5 meters = 50 liters

90mm = 6.4 liters per meter ..... 7.8 meters = 50 liters

Not only the cost of fittings, but the length of pipe to get a decent volume would make it impractical. :cool: