uhf

cgibbo308

Yota. the next one i am buying is a 7w dust and water resistant one from the cheap baofeng company. I have used my older one for a few years now and as much as i didn't (at first) want to admit it, the lil chinese radio is great.
I do ADMIT that there are some issues with the way the word things. and more to the point their honesty.
ie you can buy 3800mah extended battery, yet in reality they were only 2000mah, and depending on who you purchased off, the battery was the wrong one. no drama as it was a small mod with a knife to make it fit.
In saying that, i still think it was my own fault for not double checking with the seller.

I was using mine while doing traffic control work while waiting for my surgery.
i would sit on the fm radio (ok it was mix 106.5) with the remote speaker mic attached to my shirt (like the pommy cops do). I had the radio set so as soon as the ppl i worked with called, the radio would switch instantly back to work mode :)
its not much, but it made standing on the road like a dork, more bearable :)

You can buy the battery eliminators for about $7- $10 :) depending on the radio.
the most popular radio they sell is the uv-5series .

Having said all that, i would still love a good gme or icom handy :)

Last edited:

Yota

Chinese radios

Yota. the next one i am buying is a 7w dust and water resistant one from the cheap baofeng company. I have used my older one for a few years now and as much as i didn't (at first) want to admit it, the lil chinese radio is great.
I do ADMIT that there are some issues with the way the word things. and more to the point their honesty.
ie you can buy 3800mah extended battery, yet in reality they were only 2000mah, and depending on who you purchased off, the battery was the wrong one. no drama as it was a small mod with a knife to make it fit.
In saying that, i still think it was my own fault for not double checking with the seller.

I was using mine while doing traffic control work while waiting for my surgery.
i would sit on the fm radio (ok it was mix 106.5) with the remote speaker mic attached to my shirt (like the pommy cops do). I had the radio set so as soon as the ppl i worked with called, the radio would switch instantly back to work mode :)
its not much, but it made standing on the road like a dork, more bearable :)

You can buy the battery eliminators for about $7- $10 :) depending on the radio.
the most popular radio they sell is the uv-5series .

Having said all that, i would still love a good gme or icom handy :)
extended life batteries are usually between 1500mah and 2000mah, 3800 wounld be a pretty chunky battery and probably a bit heavy to carry around. On the Wouxun my charger crapped out after about six months so had to get another, $30 probably reflects the quality. All said and done the Chinese radio's have more good features than bad and the price pretty much makes them a throw way item should things go wrong.
I do believe they will provide Kenwood Yaesu Icom and Alinco with some competition at the lower end of the market for portables. It makes you wonder what the next generation of portables from china are going to be like. I bought my Wouxun just because of the price and then like the convenience of an h/t so much I now use an Alinco so the Wouxun was a good introduction. I would never pay $600 for an h/t and don't need features such as APRS or Dstar.

Last edited:

cgibbo308

Very true indeed.
We said of the Chinese now what we said about the Japanese electronics and automotive 50 odd years ago. now look where they are. as much as the Chinese govt can't be trusted, and thats their biggest problem, i'm sure, with a lil bit of support, they will end up making some great equipment. I think their mentality is their biggest downfall at this point. they reall just need better quality control and better communications with the customers.

I think if they want to become great producers their govt needs to fall and honest reporting within their manufacturing to replace the lies that they tell us..

I did see on one battery pack for i don't know what radio, that it stated, 3000mah and once opened it was WAY WAY under that. In some aspects they just don't care

Yota

Chinese Radio's

Very true indeed.
We said of the Chinese now what we said about the Japanese electronics and automotive 50 odd years ago. now look where they are. as much as the Chinese govt can't be trusted, and thats their biggest problem, i'm sure, with a lil bit of support, they will end up making some great equipment. I think their mentality is their biggest downfall at this point. they reall just need better quality control and better communications with the customers.

I think if they want to become great producers their govt needs to fall and honest reporting within their manufacturing to replace the lies that they tell us..

I did see on one battery pack for i don't know what radio, that it stated, 3000mah and once opened it was WAY WAY under that. In some aspects they just don't care

Some of the Chinese radio's of differing brand names are actually the same radio., I have seen Anytone rebranded as Tyt, Bajoie and about six other names all manufactured by Quixang Corporation. A radio tech mate had an Anytone mobile dual bander bought in after the TX had died and on opening the radio up he said it was a direct copy of the Yaesu FT 8800.

cgibbo308

yes i agree. the thing is the chinese can copy things (halfheartedly) but when it comes to genuine builds, they fall over. they are still in that pump out as much cheap crap as you can to get them hooked stage. one day, they might become a genuine player in the build stakes.

hell even with our aussie attitude, we build better, but thanks to unions, we really have priced ourselves out of the world markets. I would love the quality control job for holden when they start building in china :) lol

yes they (in most cases) come out of the same factory and off the same line with a differing case. tho even in china ii know that some companies (building crap) have ripped off other radios from other companies (building crap) so you have the equation of:
crap times crap = shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt!!!!!!!!!

i would truly love to see some of these radios built here or japan or the usa. mind you even russia could build better. Mind you, the uv 5re that is hand size, if built in russia would be huge and full of valves lol

mate just bought a new prado since i brought his old one, just today we were discussing what radio he will buy.he will stick with gme for the in dash. im tossing up between the gme and icom ic400, for ease of programming for extra chs and power as i have the software i would get the icom.

as far as a handheld, i would love a gme or icom.
but for now... chinese will have to do me lol

Yota

Radio's

The trend these days especially with shoes & clothing is moving towards a throw away society and guess radio's may well be headed the same way. Recently I went to replace a stihl chainsaw. The latest Stihl or Husky of the same power was $1350, the Chinese had a comparable saw for $349 so do I buy a stihl or a Husky or buy the Chinese one knowing that when it craps out I can buy another two more before I have reached the price of the Stihl.

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer
The old paradox or whether to go handheld or in vehicle . In an ideal world , I think there is a strong argument to have both . I have had for a couple of years one of the GME ones that can be switched to 80 channel from 40 channel and back . I bought it when 40 channel was supposed to be on the way out . It has continually been on 40 channel because that is what most UHF's are on still today . I also have a Unidentifiable handheld 40 channel , ideal for when you are out of the vehicle particularly when in a winching procedure . Invariably the handheld is lent to some one in the party who hasn't a radio or one that has gone on the blink - it is a good back up !

Swaggie

The old paradox or whether to go handheld or in vehicle . In an ideal world , I think there is a strong argument to have both . I have had for a couple of years one of the GME ones that can be switched to 80 channel from 40 channel and back . I bought it when 40 channel was supposed to be on the way out . It has continually been on 40 channel because that is what most UHF's are on still today . I also have a Unidentifiable handheld 40 channel , ideal for when you are out of the vehicle particularly when in a winching procedure . Invariably the handheld is lent to some one in the party who hasn't a radio or one that has gone on the blink - it is a good back up !

Another member I went on a trip recently with wanted to stay on the lower channels (I eventually said) why are we putting up with all this rubbish let's go into the higher channels. no interference, no cross talk nothing just us.... It was great...

Yota

Radio

I must admit I run Icom and Anytone commercial radio's in my vehicles and Alinco Wouxun for hand helds. All have been set up with Channels 1-80 narrow band and 1-40 wide band giving the ability to switch between band widths. So far over this way only one repeater has gone narrow band and 90% of radio's you talk to are still wide band.
I think that the authorities considered that natural attrition would see the number of wide band radios reduce within five years but talking from my own experience I have a Uniden uh-013 that must be over ten years old now and it simply won't die, my son is now using it to talk to his mates.

Buxter

I'm looking to buy a UHF nd don't want to spend big money any feedback on whats good would be appreciated. Have heard hand held are not that great! Thanks
:)

For cheap handheld radios, I recommend FDC 5 Watt UHF radios
I have FDC 450 (5 Watt hand held) $55-$70 per unit with accesories
Also FDC 880 (5Watt Dual Band, handheld) $80-$90 with accesories

look up Radiogearpro, or Shop 409, or Radioshop 888, but check out frequencies first.
If unsure, contact me.

Either will get you started.
Either are great little radios.

last for years, I can personally swear to that.

If you want to spend $300 per unit then get a Icom, Uniden, or a GME.
they are all brilliant radios, but cost heaps more

I have an Icom 400 Pro, in the mighty Pooootrol ($400, if you can still get them)
Complicated to learn but never the less a brilliant radio.

I also have a handheld Garmin Rino 650, 5 Watt UHF, and GPS combination, which I use when hunting. That will cost you almost $600, but last 2 years Johnny Appleseed were doing 2 for $600, but I think that deal has finished.

Cheers
Buxter

prawns

Another tip - some handhelds (especially the cheap ones) can be a absolute nightmare to program using the unit itself (as some have about 10 customizable options per frequency which need setting for every frequency you program in!)

Try to get a radio which you can program using your computer instead if possible - as thats much faster and easier usually :) ...... or at least "youtube" up how they program to ensure your happy with doing it that way

the UV5R is computer programmable if you buy one with the "patch lead" which connects it to the computer - as is the fdc450 above I think

cgibbo308

Buxter. have you upped the power on the icom?

Yota. the problem with natural attrition is the gme icom uniden just dont fail much :|
i only got my gme in 1999 and it is still as good as new.

Buxter

Buxter. have you upped the power on the icom?

Yota. the problem with natural attrition is the gme icom uniden just dont fail much :|
i only got my gme in 1999 and it is still as good as new.

Non commercial, it's a nono :p

Swaggie

I also have a handheld Garmin Rino 650, 5 Watt UHF, and GPS combination, which I use when hunting. That will cost you almost $600, but last 2 years Johnny Appleseed were doing 2 for $600, but I think that deal has finished.

Cheers
Buxter

Yes they are an impressive radio /gps etc, I like it how you can see on the mapping where the other radio is if you give it to a mate or someone goes for a long walk, I would have gone this option instead of the two Icom Handhelds but they were unavailable then, although the Icoms have been brilliant too and especially the batteries, still the same as the day I bought them over 6 years ago...

Yota

Radio's

I am guessing the same situation exists in Australia as here in NZ with the Radio Frequency Service. The Radio Inspectors are just too busy with problems on commercial bands to worry to much about any form of CB communications, that is unless they have someone make an official complaint. The only guys I know that have had equipment seized and received fines are those that have drawn attention to themselves by combining high power with abusive or nuisance behavior. I know of guys running commercial radios usually Tait's or Motorola's of between 25 and 40 watts or more and they have never had any problems with the RI's. Most of the problems on uhf cb are more behavior related rather than equipment related.
Sure we all know that running more than five watts is illegal just like exceeding the speed limit or for truck drivers fiddling log books, it is illegal but it does happen.
Some people get all upset about this kind of thing but my take on it is, if it doesn't affect me, I don't really care. Even as a ham with the equipment I have I have no way of telling how much power someone else is running. However someone playing music, swearing or jamming a channel is more of a problem and that is when I would do something about tracking the guy down. Recently a bust relating from the behavior of a couple of individuals on Auckland's Channel 6 has really calmed things down. It shows the ignorance of some of these people when they think they can't get caught.

Getting back to the original subject although I don't have one but I think the GME's are pretty good value for money but if you want to pay more Icom or Vertex is the way to go.

cgibbo308

Only if you get caught lol
we always had a saying. if it's getting you out of trouble or saving a life. then no one will care (unless someone is trying to make a name for themselves)

besides, Yota is right. here, ACMA just don't have the man power to go round doing spot inspections on cars that have an antennae on them.

Hell there is a c*******er on ch40 in Sydney that has basically taken over. most days you can here him all over Sydney loud and clear.. they haven't found, or stopped him yet...

so traveling round the bush or even the city, they have stuff all chance of getting you..

I would like to know what acmas' search and seizure powers are ;)

Buxtor. I would only be using the higher output powers out bush when the sh!t has hit the fan, or when putting an order for dinner in at the pub ;)

ok all that aside..

my choices are

For non modified 5w
Gme
Icom ic 400 pro

mods and or power >5w
icom ic 400
tait
motorola
the chinese one i want that i cant remember the name of

now if you have a car with limited space, i would go a gme with a mic that has the display and control on that. or a remote head unit radio. Never been a big fan of uniden. having said that, even tho they are made in vietnam they are not to bad. i wouldn't pay the premium price tho.

cgibbo308

ok got bored and here we are with the pick for those hat have no space OR do not want to make a mess of a good dash,,

1st: GME Electrophone TX3345 80 CHannel UHF CB Radio
PRICE: $357.50
gme 1.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd: Icom Australia IC440N 80 Channel UHF CB Radio
PRICE: $375.10
icom 1.jpg -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd (and only for comparison) Uniden UH8080 NB 80 Channel UHF CB Radio
PRICE: $346.50
uniden 1.jpg

If you have no problem installing into your dash or hacking it up, then i would recommend

1st: GME TX4500S 80 Channel UHF CB Radio
PRICE: $381.70
TX4500-4T.jpg
2nd: Icom IC 400 PRO 80 CH UHF CB Radio
PRICE: $365.20 (can mod)
icom 2.jpg

dno67

I see no point in screwing the power up when all it dose it let other people hear you 5ks further away when you can't hear if there replying to ya anyway, unless your one of those that like to talk over others just to pi55 people off.

Yota

I see no point in screwing the power up when all it dose it let other people hear you 5ks further away when you can't hear if there replying to ya anyway, unless your one of those that like to talk over others just to pi55 people off.
Of course if two vehicles are running high power then there are gains both ways but where the extra power does help is in working distant repeaters. How often have you heard a repeater and haven't been able to get back to it. This is because repeater's are usually pretty well engineered and often the antenna gain at the site is pretty similar to what was predicted from the antenna manufacturer. Often with vehicle installations there is a big difference between theoretical gain and what is actually achieved.
One of my favourite repeaters is at a quite a modest height of 220 metres and I am able to work this from a few locations 120km away with 5 watts, increasing the power does bring my signal strength up to completely noise free and dramatically increases the size of the area I am able to work the repeater from.

Last edited: