uhf

bigsibs

I'm looking to buy a UHF nd don't want to spend big money any feedback on whats good would be appreciated. Have heard hand held are not that great! Thanks
:)

dno67

There's nothing wrong with a good quality hand held, if you decide to go for a handheld look for 5w output that you can attach an external antenna too.
Look at it as a peace of safety equipment, cheap is not always best.

Eightyeight

Hand held are super convenient, limited by power and antenna.
If you get a 5w, durable (there are submersible alloy housed 80ch avail for 200 mark with 12v chargers, fist-mic ect ect) it will last a long time and give you flexibility.
As reliable as an in car is, it usually costs more and won't have as many applications.
That being said, I still rock 2 x in car UHF's, one for convoy, one for open scan to hear what's going on around and a hand-held for dismounted Comms back to car and/or convoy.

In most cases, you get what you pay for. Buying online can save you a fair chunk of coin.

Hi,
Could get one of these.

NEW Baofeng Portable Handheld Dual Band VHF UHF UV 5R FM Radio Tranceiver | eBay

Uncle in UK bought one, just to see what they were like.
He was impressed, and done a lot with radios over the last 50 years.
I have one of these. This one doesn't transmit on the Australian 476/477 CB channels.
some sellers claim they do, but they don't.
Mine does, but cannot open the overseas, sellers site

NEW Quansheng TG UV2 Dual Band TWO WAY Radio Transceiver Vhfuhf 200 Channels | eBay

I also have one of these, but the Quansheng is as good, and does more, plus $250 cheaper.

Uniden UH078SX UHF 77 Channel Waterproof Portable Radio | Uniden Portable Radios, Batteries & Accessories | Uniden | Mobile Systems - Tait Mobile Radio (BOP), Tauranga

whitehillbilly64

LowLux

You can get some pretty good brands at reasonable prices now. Might need to shop around to find what is going to suit what you want to use it for.

Yota

Sometimes spending a few extra dollars at purchase is a wise move some of the budget radio's are pretty average perfomers. All of the mobile base type radio's are 5 watt output but it is the quality of the receiver that counts. Comparing my icom f221 to my Uniden uh-013 there is really no comparison. The uniden will have a very weak patchy signal coming through but with the icom installed on the same antenna the signal is easily readable. At the end of the day you get what you pay for

Lordranger

I'm looking to buy a UHF nd don't want to spend big money any feedback on whats good would be appreciated. Have heard hand held are not that great! Thanks
:)

If you get a decent 5 watt handheld and use an external antenna you get similar range to your in car system, probably hook it up to an external speaker as is hard to hear with the piddly little built in speaker when sitting in a cup holder.

Swaggie

If it's for your first UHF I would be saving a bit longer and buy either an Icom or GME

It can either be as suggested above an in-car or hand-held... Don't beleive the garbage getting about that a 5watt handheld connected to an external aerial won't transmit as far as a 5 watt in car unit....

Plus a handheld you can take with you if your stuck in a Gully etc...

Goodluck..

Superdad

I have a GME 5W handheld and am about to get a in car one installed as well. The hand helds work well over short range but need to be hooked up to a decent aerial to get good range. I looked at getting an aerial and adapter I can screw the hand held into but having to connect/disconnect power and aerial each time I want to go mobile with it would be far more painful then the money needed to put in an in-dash job.

If I had my time over, I would have gone straight for in dash one first and left the handheld for much later....

LeighP

I've had a few Uniden and GME radios in different vehicles over the years.
This time, I looked at what was available, and in budget, and I decided on the Uniden UH8060NB.
My requirements were -
- remote mount (no room in dash for a DIN sized radio
- no need for aux speaker mount
The uniden was significantly cheaper than the GME or Icom, and unlike the GME, has the speaker in the mic and one on the remote unit itself.
Was surprised how clear it was to use, too......I guess radios have improved a bit in the last 15 or so years since I bought one.
All you can see on my install is the mic and cable where it sits on the centre console.

there are some excellent prices from the large suppliers on Ebay.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Leigh, I have the 7760NB and like having the controls so accessible.

I don't think the 8060 was around when I bought mine, I like the LCD screen colour options, as sometimes the amber colour seems to grind on me.
Not sure if any other differences with those 2 in features.

Are you running the AT770 antenna ?

LeighP

Am running an RFI CD900 6.5 db Ground Independant Antenna - also has a 3 db replacement top with it.
Looking at the specs, I believe the only difference between the older and newer versions is the colour selection for the display. I wasn't going to worry about the colour, but then I saw the 8060 on Ebay for the same price as people were selling the 7760...so I jumped on it.

Ziggy

I've just pulled the trigger on one of the GMEs with all the controls in the handpiece. The main unit is the size of a ciggy packet and can be tucked away under the plastics, leading to an accessible socket for the handpiece to plug into and be removed from when not in use.

Eightyeight

I've just pulled the trigger on one of the GMEs with all the controls in the handpiece. The main unit is the size of a ciggy packet and can be tucked away under the plastics, leading to an accessible socket for the handpiece to plug into and be removed from when not in use.

You will forever cherish and nurture this item

Checkout my ride in My Colorado build Thread!!!

cgibbo308

Hi,
Could get one of these.

NEW Baofeng Portable Handheld Dual Band VHF UHF UV 5R FM Radio Tranceiver | eBay

Uncle in UK bought one, just to see what they were like.
He was impressed, and done a lot with radios over the last 50 years.
I have one of these. This one doesn't transmit on the Australian 476/477 CB channels.
some sellers claim they do, but they don't.
Mine does, but cannot open the overseas, sellers site

NEW Quansheng TG UV2 Dual Band TWO WAY Radio Transceiver Vhfuhf 200 Channels | eBay

I also have one of these, but the Quansheng is as good, and does more, plus $250 cheaper.

Uniden UH078SX UHF 77 Channel Waterproof Portable Radio | Uniden Portable Radios, Batteries & Accessories | Uniden | Mobile Systems - Tait Mobile Radio (BOP), Tauranga

whitehillbilly64

Yeah i have one and buying another baofeng soon.
If programed correctly they can be used with ease :)
and the best thing is. you can share the programing setup with your mates to make them all the same and it takes all of 30seconds :)

Yota

Radio's

The biggest problem with the dual banded radio's is that they are not type approved for UHF CB use so technically they are illegal to use on the uhf cb band.
Having said that there are hundreds of them out there. For Amateur radio use I was using a Wouxun for a while and this radio had some good features and also some others that were not so good.
The first plus was the price meaning that if my radio crapped out through my own negligence ie getting wet or being dropped it wasn't a huge amount of money to lose.
The minus's as far as I were concerned were the radio was only 4 watts not five on transmit power.
Second was no way of plugging 12 volts directly into the radio.
The third one was just plain annoying, Walking around the house the squelch would suddenly open with no signal present and changing the squelch settings wouldn't make any difference, This never happened with Icom's, Yaesu's, Kenwoods or Alinco's.