UHF Repeater Channels

Sambartom

Also CH 1 repeater is not in Walhalla its in Rawson and has been for many years and is used and owned by the Erica CFA,If you want a radio test on a Sunday around 10:20am is the time to ask when you hear the CFA finishing up there radio tests then they will ask if anyone wants a test...Please do not use CH 1 if you ever hear the CFA using it like some people like to do..Don't rely on CH 1 in the Walhalla area as most of the time you will not hit it,Will only hit it when your in the right spots..Erica CFA will soon be digital but will still need to use CH 1 for local talk and truck to shed/truck talk.. :-}

boobook

To see if there is a repeater in range make sure you have repeater / duplex on, and start at Ch 1. The press transmit for about 2 seconds then release. Listen for a quiet transmission or tones that last about 2 seconds after you let go. Then keep going up to Channel 8. You will find a repeater that way if there is one about. Then you can use the repeater channel ( if it isn't Ch 5 of course).

Often a repeater is for semi private use, eg the one at Mt Dare etc.

Mud Map

Really handy info guys. Thanks.

We reckon this would be great as an app. Is there an official source for info like this?

prawns

UHF CB Australia - 80 Channel UHF CB Radio Information & Allocations
That link has all the channels/frequencys

If you click on the left side "repeater locations" it lists all the repeaters by state and whether they are currently operational or not.
It also lists all details like latitude and longitude of each repeater if known (all the ones Ive checked have worked anyway lol)

Some good info in here for sure - Now I know how to check if Im actually keying a repeater or not and what that wierd noise was after my transmissions lols

boobook

Mudmap, that would be a useful app, if you are thinking of doing something - 2 things.
1)be aware that a lot of those repearter sites are very old and many have been dead for years. Some kind of a status and user input capability would make it a lot more useful
2)And you can see this one coming................................Android too.:D

Last edited:

prawns

Havnt seen that page you shown lols

A direct link for repeaters in NSW at least on that website is here
UHF CB Australia - Repeater Locations - New South Wales

Its under "reconstruction" eg its getting revamped - thats something new wasnt there last time I visited the website lols but I guess they are updating the look of it

To get to the NSW repeater list I linked to above (or to select another state) just click on "repeater locations" on the left side menu bar - you should have a popup to select the state you want, select your state - then you have channel numbers listed, click a channel number and it lists repeaters using that channel (with callsigns) in that state, click on one of those listed and you get further info like lat/long/callsigns/suburb etc - Works fine here?

Last edited:

99pc chimpanzee

when reading manual for my icom it has a function called repeater search scan that will find the repeater that can be accessed in the area your in.excluding emergency 5,you have to do that manually.it seems to work when I play with it,if other uhf have this function it may save some angst.

Ditch

if other uhf have this function it may save some angst.
That would come in handy. I never even think to check if there is a repeater in the area when travelling unless I hear an ident when scanning I would not know they are there.

I know there is a phone App for locating nearby Amateur Radio repeaters, thought someone might have developed one for CB repeaters by now.

SmAsh_6861

Couple of little UHF tidbits which I'm sure most know, but nevertheless:

In the last couple of months, there is a new automated message on repeat every couple of minutes talking about channels 1-8 and 31-38 being repeater channels audible on UHF on the Mornington Peninsula area. I don't know who has done it but I'm guessing it's a repeater owner. I can hear it on Phillip Island where I live often and it's very clear considering its travelling over water (something UHF doesn't like doing).

Also, Ch 5 in metro Melbourne is actively monitored by CREST Victoria (Community Radio Emergency Service Teams). You will regularly hear one of their operators transmit their message about keeping the channel clear when driving through Melbourne, especially after some oxygen thief has been transmitting on there.

Last edited:

Swaggie

Couple of little UHF tidbits which I'm sure most know, but nevertheless:

In the last couple of months, there is a new automated message on repeat every couple of minutes talking about channels 1-8 and 31-38 being repeater channels audible on UHF on the Mornington Peninsula area. I don't know who has done it but I'm guessing it's a repeater owner. I can hear it on Phillip Island where I live often and it's very clear considering its travelling over water (something UHF doesn't like doing).

Also, Ch 5 in metro Melbourne is actively monitored by CREST Victoria (Community Radio Emergency Service Teams). You will regularly hear one of their operators transmit their message about keeping the channel clear when driving through Melbourne, especially after some oxygen thief has been transmitting on there.

I havnt heard the first one yet but I've definately heard the latter, I also have heard anyone on the emergency channels lately but sure it happens.