Tyres

phs

Oh well at least I can put a face to the name now Rhett. Not a bad video.
May help the credibility of your info if you added some photos of actual tyres at different pressures, or photos from tyre manufacturers like the one on the Coopers webpage, rather than just a white board drawing from a random youtube wannabe, don’t take that personally though.
Tink

The best example is paint on the tread transferred to paper

Spooner

Batman and Robin often find themselves in 'sticky' situations.
Heres a tip for you Rhett,
I carry in my truck a selection of self tapper screws and a few tubes of Super Glue.
Be stuffed if I'm gunna change a truck wheel on my own fully loaded in outta bum f&%k west in 40 degree heat if I can avoid it.
As long as it hasn't blown off the rim here is what I do.
Step 1 Pull offending objet out.
Step 2 Find a Self Tapper the right size
Step 3 Squeeze Super Glue into Hole
Step 4 Wait 1 Minute then screw in Self Tapper as hard as you can
Step 5 Squeeze some more over the top and go and have a ciggy
Step 6 Go and pump it back up with air
Works a treat for the life of the tyre :)
Dunno if its OH&S approved but it does work :)
and that's at 100PSI at full weight

Last edited:

Rhett HS

The best example is paint on the tread transferred to paper
I have seen that done to show typical levels of under and overinflation, but, i look forward to someone suggesting that the tread area of the tyre somehow stretches meaningfully wider, or compresses meaningfully narrower. There are belts that would specifically provide resistance to that.

Tink

Yes, physically impossible to increase the width of the tyre tred contact patch by reducing the tyre pressure

F56C58F2-0CBF-4033-A92D-8F538A7F0DD0.jpeg

Tink

Tink

Although I will add to the above statement, that if you have over inflated your tyres, then they will wear more in the centre of the tyre due to the ballooning effect.
Same as if you under inflate, the edges of the tyre will wear faster.
But the actual width of the tred doesn’t, and cannot, vary.
Tink

hiluxdriver

Although I will add to the above statement, that if you have over inflated your tyres, then they will wear more in the centre of the tyre due to the ballooning effect.
Same as if you under inflate, the edges of the tyre will wear faster.
But the actual width of the tred doesn’t, and cannot, vary.
Tink
Is that your expert opinion?

Tink

Is that your expert opinion?
Depends what makes you an expert.
I fitted tyres for about 18 months as young bloke. Sold them for a year or so later in life during which I did some tyre company training. Not sure that makes me an expert, maybe just well informed. I have certainly read a lot and driven a lot so have a bit of learned knowledge.
Tink

Rhett HS

Good luck hoping for free information from a tyre engineer (expert), who will be making a strong income. Guys in those positions, if they ever want to interact on a forum or chat with likeminded people or suchlike, typically do so in company and industry restricted spaces.

phs

I consulted for a few tyre manufactures years ago, have a PhD in advanced rubber compounds, a masters in chemistry and physics.

Just a few of my forum qualifications the list is quite long, actually sitting for my masters in expert on this forum as we speak

hiluxdriver

I don't know, I think there are quite a few intelligent people that love proving how intelligent they are using whatever device they can. I think there's also a few not so intelligent people trying to prove they are.
Love forums:D:D:D