Tyres: price vs lifespan vs grip

Sharky

It looks like 1 my 33" Bridgestone M/T's is showing out-of-balance type symptoms & they're not far off replacement time anyway. So.....
since it's for my work car landcuiser ute & I don't wanna spend what I spent putting BFG M/T's on my Patrol, what's a good grippy tyre off rd, good lasting tyre & reasonably priced?

I have 15" rims & want 33's, prefer muds but will go for a good A/T. I do high km's so longevity is important without going for such a hard compound that grip is compromised, as often I need to get up on soft sandy job sites. I was thinking maybe BFG all terrains, Maxxis Bighorns, Possibly Coopers (but I've had bad experiences with them). What others should I look at? Price is important as this issue has come as a surprise & so I don't exactly have the $$ ready for it.

frosty

G'day Sharky. I'm running Bridgestone A/T's as road tyres and they do some offroad. Serious offroad I use my BFG M/T's. The Bridgys get good milage and work well all the way trough the tyre life. They're tuff enough for ordinary offroad stuff. I have'nt broken one yet. As for price, they are reasonable. Toyo are much cheaper, and they handle like it!! At 1/2 worn, like driving on ice when wet!! CRAP! Maxxis don't seem to get good milage either.

I reccommend Bridgy A/T. A good alround tyre.

cptmud

I would have a look at the nankang mudstars, well priced, good offroad and last fairly well

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would have a look at the nankang mudstars, well priced, good offroad and last fairly well

same here i love the mudstars and when i went to get a spare the tyre guy said because of the aussie dollar falling so much bfgs mud terrains had gone to over 500 dollars a pop were the mudstars had only gone to 270 a pop big difference means you can almost buy 2 for the price of one

Pure Yobbo

They are a good tyre for what Crusierlad is doing. I'm not sure they will handle the weight if they are on a ute. I had a set on Nankangs on a rather heavy trailer I had - they were shocking I ended up flicking them after about 300km.

Cheers

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
completely different tyre though yobbo you said so yourself ive got a 2half ton forby load it to the hilt for weeks of camping add a camper trailer and i dont think there would be much weight difference you just must of had to small a tyre for the trailer iv got nankangs on the wifes commodore and there fantastic to right rims right size tyre for the job noprobs and no there not mudstars on the dunnydore

Sharky

same here i love the mudstars and when i went to get a spare the tyre guy said because of the aussie dollar falling so much bfgs mud terrains had gone to over 500 dollars a pop were the mudstars had only gone to 270 a pop big difference means you can almost buy 2 for the price of one

That fella wasn't quite tellin you the truth there cruiserlad. I have a little inside info on that topic. They are having a price increase but it was set to be around $400 fitted, from $360. It was due to a fall in sales, therefore a decrease in mass production, which in turn costs more per tyre to make, & they were also dropping the amount of businesses they would supply them to, but I wasn't given an answer as to why that was.

Lets just say that if the aussie dollar was to blame, ALL tyres would go up.

You can get simex competition tyres for less than $500ea.

Also...........nangkangs do alright on commodores but as you say, they're not the same nangkangs as I'd put on my cruiser, nor is the bommodore an equal comparison to a 4x4.

Frosty, have you ever tried goodyear A/T's? They look alright & I've seen them do high km's but I don't know how good they are off rd.

Last edited:

stets

the bridestone dueler 694 lts have proven to be a pretty decent tyre. my missus works for a company that has these fitted to there gu patrol, they see alot of gascoyne roads as well as sealed roads driving from gero all the way out as far as wiluna and carnegie station, north to landor and many other known to be hard on tyres tracks. the duelers have surprised me (a lot actually) they have only had one puncture (small one, repairable) they have easily done over 35,000k's so far and are showing no where near the damage many tyres have shown to me over the years. (im an experienced stationhand, and i have over 500,000 k's on gascoyne and goldfiels station tracks and roads) the only tyres that have proven thier worth in wide tyre format are these 694lt's, cooper atrs, and mickey thompson MTZ's
if your running split rims thats a different story though, and a differnet ddebate for another thread

stets

forgot to add that the cooper atrs and MTZs have proven themselves to me on both my 75 series cruiser and my gq patrol, the 694lts i have only seen on a gu wagon, but i am impressed with them so far

Sharky

Hehehehe.....dude, gravel & dirt roads are the most forgiving you can get on tyres. I've done 60,000 on my Bridgestone muds & if it wasn't for this internal issue I reckon I'd get another 30,000 out of em. But since they're a tax deduction for me & I really don't enjoy my car shaking as I drive it, I'm gonna cut their life short. I'll prob keep 3 of em for spares.

If you saw what I've put these tyres through, you'd wonder how they've lasted so long.
I just don't have the $$ put aside right now & so need to down grade this time. If I didn't have the Patrol, I wouldn't even be discussing it.......it's be 33" BFG muds. Unfortunately leaf sprung cruisers are harder on tyres than coil sprung cars as the tyre takes a lot more of the shock with that stiff rigid suspension.

I'll give you an idea Stets......I've done the Powerlines from start to finish.........all of it, & all the tuff stuff, none of the chicken tracks that bypass the real 4x4 terrain. I've done it many times, as well as Brunswick Junction, Harvey, Red Hill etc. Not many Cruiser utes can do that. Those tyres have seen HARD times.

What lets my tyres down is their tread design & lack of sidewall grip.

stets

not arguing that most gravel and red dirt roads are usually easy on tyres (if driven at the correct speeds and pressures) those that drive the gu at my missus work never let the tyres down and they constantly drive at speeds over 90kph. now gascoyne roads are made up of alot of sharp rocks for much of them (not the main roads as these are well looked after by the shires) they previously had a set of bfg ats that were replaced at around 30,000k's due to chipping and uneven wear due to thier driving style (its a work car who cares) but the new 694lt's have put up with it so far.

now knowing how poor performance i get out of my 75 series off road. i know first hand how hard the tyres are tortured. in fact i rarely get 35,000 k's out of a set of tyres on mine (always loaded so i need the higher pressures)

as for price i dont know what the 694s are worth, but i couldnt see them being as pricey as bfg muddies.
just offering my experience and what i have seen, not trying to get into a debate on what tyres are better or what car is better or who is a better or more experienced driver

Sharky

That's coz LT stands for light truck. They don't have the sidewall flex of a M/T or A/T. I have 633LT's on my camper. They don't cussion as much over bumps either. I've never had so much gear damaged in the camper than since I fitted those bloody things.

I just want a 33 that's less than $270 per tyre, good on grip & good on lifespan. Being a tradie I need a good sand tyre moslty.

I'll just wait. I have a tyre friend who can pull strings. I may end up with a decent set of muds yet.

You should have a higher pressure for longevity. It's low pressure that causes excessive tyre wear.

I always put 40psi in my HZJ75 on road. Any less is too sluggish, any more is too harsh a ride. I also carry a load, but 35,000 is pretty poor man. What tyres are they?

Last edited:

stets

mate i have tried everything from coopers atrs, bfg ats, MTZs, duelers (old style and 693s), cooper stt's, bfg muddies, the list goes on. when fully loaded, i have to run at least 40 psi sometimes up to 50. but those sharp rocks are what kills my tyres when out bush, the tyres tend to chip away rather than wear away. since i have been in gero, i have managed 60,000k's out of the bridgestone duelers (old type) they are clapped out now, but have served me well. only on the tar and building sites though, very rarely does it get used on the tracks since i got the patrol.

if i was going to keep this truck, i would be putting a set of 33 bfg ats on. a mate of mine in his 1986 75 series just changed his bfg ats after 95,000 k's. tradie truck, fully loaded all the time, towing a trailer, on road and on sites, im still impressed with the 694 lts though, and i still could consider them on my next work truck

Sharky

They have similarities but no. Mud tyres have sidewall grip & flexibility unlike any other tyre. They're quite wide whereas LT tyres are not. They would lose their strength if the were wide. M/T's are designed to grip the mud then repel it from the tread (most fail there). They have a thick multi ply sidewall wheras LT tyres have thick rigid sidewalls, with stronger steel belts. Mud tyres are designed to be run at low pressures, LT tyres not so much but are usually capable of higher pressures than most. Of course design varies from brand to brand but that's the sum of it. You'd need to talk to a manufacturer to find out more. I know more but I'm not the best at explaining it in a way that makes sense.

stets

some "mud" tyres and at tyres come in both a light truck and passenger construction both cooper stts and mickey thompson have light truck constructions available depending on the size you want. i think even bfg muddies have a LT variant in some sizes.

Sharky

What are the differences? And what are the model codes? ..............L/T-M/T?

I think you'll find thats a designation selection for that tread, not the make up of the tyre.

I would've thought I'd have seen a set by now. I know coopers claim to make one capable of light truck use but I've never seen or heard of them used for such. You can't have a tyre that's designed for high pressure & heavy weight ratings that has the ability to tolerate very low pressure. It just doesn't work.

Could you find more info pls?

Last edited:

stets

good example is my MTZ's

either seen as a very aggressive A/T type tyre or as a less aggressive M/T tyre
my 305/70/16's are a light truck construction (LT) capable of max load at 55PSI and i can easily run them on 16 PSI all day without breaking a bead, they dont bag out as much as the passenger construction of the same tyre, but they bag out enough to get me around in the soft stuff. they have a cross ply sidewall adding extra strength and less tyre squirm. they have some decent sized side biters, and they perform pretty good in the sticky stuff. if i had to recommend a mud tyre to anyone for universal purposes this would be it, but they arent cheap and the shoulders to chip and wear abit (the tread doesnt tend to do it so much) but i get more k's out of a set of MTZs than i have ever gotten out of a set of muddies befor of any make