Tyres for Moreton Island

Moth

Looking for some advice on which tyres to take for a trip to Moreton early next year. For the daily drive I run the factory fitted Grandtrek AT20s and on weekends I have a st of Mickey T MTZs. I haven't used the MTZs on sand yet and wonder if they're any good or am I better off sticking with the dunlops? My only concern with those is picking up a puncture on the inland tracks.

Thanks for any advice

goldrush

All terrains are probably your best bet for sand driving. The more aggressive tyres tend to dig themselves in more than the A/T's. Haven't been to Moreton for a couple of years but all the tracks are fairly easy and you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting a puncture.

Cheers
Goldrush

gdog

I'd take the MTZs. Naturally run the pressure down a bit (say 30). Even less if on loose stuff.
If you have correct throttle control, aggressive tread tyres will always lend to pulling you forward more than tyres with a less aggressive tread on loose surfaces. They just suck on the black top.

If they tell you, you can dig a whole quick with aggressive tread tyres, that's true. But getting out of wholes is easier with the same. And if you dug a whole, you were probably to heavy with the boot and perhaps not enough forward momentum.

Split pin

I'd take the MTZs. Naturally run the pressure down a bit (say 30). Even less if on loose stuff.
If you have correct throttle control, aggressive tread tyres will always lend to pulling you forward more than tyres with a less aggressive tread on loose surfaces. They just suck on the black top.

If they tell you, you can dig a whole quick with aggressive tread tyres, that's true. But getting out of wholes is easier with the same. And if you dug a whole, you were probably to heavy with the boot and perhaps not enough forward momentum.

I tend to agree.

If running m/s tyres I prefer to run them at 15psi they bag nicely and assist in moving you forward. I have always used M/S tyres on the beach at Stockton and fraser never had a problem as long as you let enough air out. 15psi is best.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have BFG AT's on the Prado and had no issues on Moreton at 20lb's of pressure in the tyres. I watched other vehicles get stuck where I had stopped, reversed and parked off the side of the track. MTZ will be fine

croozza

Mate you will be better off with the Dunlops in the sand than the MTZ's, when you are driving on the sand you want your tyres to stay on top of the sand, and the MTZ's tend to dig in, you will need to lower your tyre pressures and this will depend on overall weight of the vehicle, (occupants & gear), you should not need to go any lower than 20psi, lower than that and you run the risk of braking the beed, remember that when you lower your tyre pressures, you are actually wanting to lengthen the tyre rather than widen the foodprint, and any tyre that has a softer sidewall will do that better than one with a stronger sidewall (ie MTZ's)

rodw

Mate, I'd leave the MT's on an drop them to 15-16 PSI. I took my vehicle to Moreton in August and am going back over the Xmas break.

I ran 16 PSI and had no problems getting anywhere. Those guys who said 30 psi are way off the mark. You'd run AT's at around 18-22 psi and my very aggressive Dick cepek Crusher MT's need to be run at lower pressures again. 16 psi worked nicely for me. Any lower than that (I have dropped to 12 psi when I have needed to) and my truck starts to wallow around a bit.

I might add, that our wheel track was instantly recognisable!

EDIT: The Micat ferry has air hoses on board so you can air up on the way home!

Moth

So we're pretty much divided. One other fact that I didn't mention previously is the size difference. While the dunlops are a softer tyre they are also 265/60 R18 whereas the MTZs are 265/70 R17 which means with the extra height I get a bit more length in my tread as well. I might take the MTZs for a run up to the coloured sands from Noosa and see how they go on the beach.

Thanks for the input.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Go with either. I've used my BFG M/T 255/85x16 heaps on the beach. Never had a problam. I run them at 20 psi on Fraser and Bribie. Although, all the beaches in different areas are,,,,,,,different. At Stockton beach, mine were useless above 20 psi. I ended up running at 16 psi. A real noticable difference!!! The sand there is MUCH finer. Go the MTZ's for the extra height if no other reason.

Just remember your driving skills and what your cars wearing. Different tyres will require a changed driving style to degree.

buddah_04

ive just put my bighorns on the feroza for this weekends trip to bribie, i found my road tyres were blocking up and ended up being slicks full of sand. im going to see how the bighorns go this weekend

Goody

I run the MTZ's and think they are great on the sand, but like someone said earlier you just have to drive it to suit the tyres, sand all mud...

Must admit tho I have seen a mate helping people get over Nagala Rocks with his all terrains and wondered if I could have done it aswell with the muds?? And the muds do tend to throw a fair bit of sand around if you really have to give it to it so can be messy, but you rarely need to do that anyway if your on the ball ;)

rodw

I run the MTZ's and think they are great on the sand, but like someone said earlier you just have to drive it to suit the tyres, sand all mud...

Must admit tho I have seen a mate helping people get over Nagala Rocks with his all terrains and wondered if I could have done it aswell with the muds?? And the muds do tend to throw a fair bit of sand around if you really have to give it to it so can be messy, but you rarely need to do that anyway if your on the ball ;)

You should not spin your wheels in sand anyway so drop to 16 psi and go the MT's I say!

barryt

what tyres?

i travel there alot ive used both standard and now hav baja claws extreme mud pattern i find no difference i run 18psi all round on standard or the baja claws

Pure Yobbo

I think tyre pressures have alot to do with

A) The weight of your 4x4.

B) How the tyres bellie out once the presure is dropped.

You can also use a ruler and meassure the width of your tyres once you have dropped the presure to ensure they are all the same width - front, back & trailer if need be.

croozza

It's not the width your after, it is the length, the longer the footprint the better it will be in the sand, hence why I say the HT tyre will be better than the MT tyre.

rodw

It's not the width your after, it is the length, the longer the footprint the better it will be in the sand, hence why I say the HT tyre will be better than the MT tyre.

Maybe I drive like an old mother. I have driven a copule of aggressive tyres on sand including Swampers and the Crushers I have now. I have never had any problems but I do run lower pressures than a lot do on sand. I always laugh when I see guys gunning it with huge rooster tails of sand billowing from their tyres. If only they knew they would get a lot further without spinning the wheels and the right pressure...

croozza

Maybe I drive like an old mother. I have driven a copule of aggressive tyres on sand including Swampers and the Crushers I have now. I have never had any problems but I do run lower pressures than a lot do on sand. I always laugh when I see guys gunning it with huge rooster tails of sand billowing from their tyres. If only they knew they would get a lot further without spinning the wheels and the right pressure...

Rooster tails are a good sign that the person behind the steering wheel is a knob, the only exception to that rule is turning in soft sand.
All tyres will work in the sand but a HT tyre will work the best. But having said that, if a tyre has a sharp outer edge, it will dig into the sand alot more than a tyre that has a rounded edge.