Tyres for a Prado

OK, same Dunlop AT20s since new, no problems but little off road. Now about to do Strezlecki Track, Cameron's Corner etc, and wanting to get new tyres. Which one? Falken WildPeak AT 3W? Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus? What? Advice needed please!

CTL

Whatever you get, make sure they are Light Truck (LT) construction.
Personally I have had excellent results with Bridgestone 697 All Terrains

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Agree with @CTL

LT is a must and have had a good run with Bridgestone in the past, the guys stand by their product

I run Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, they are pretty expensive but I find them a good cross between an all terrain and a mud for when you hit the wet slippery stuff, be aware that you will want to watch the weather conditions out on those tracks, when they are wet they will fill up your tread turning it into an exciting ride you may not want to be on and it sets like concrete when dry.

Just let your tyres down a bit when you hit the dirt as it will be kinder to your tyres and suspension

cheers

Lost1?

The Falkens seem to have earned a few fans in recent years. The Pirellis are pretty handy too although some have moved away from them due to a shorter service life than other similar tyres like Bridgestone 694. For the trips you are planning I agree that an LT rated tyre is essential.

For mine Falken or Bridgestone. Price will be the final decision point.

linuxfan66

OK, same Dunlop AT20s since new, no problems but little off road. Now about to do Strezlecki Track, Cameron's Corner etc, and wanting to get new tyres. Which one? Falken WildPeak AT 3W? Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus? What? Advice needed please!
cant recomend falken wildpeak at3w enough. had a good time with coopers as well

hulsty

I've been running Yokohama X-AT and very happy with them compared to previous Cooper ST Maxx (Rubbish) and Toyo AT2 (Good) and MT ATZ P3 (Loud). The Yokohamas balance well, drive good and are more aggressive than the Falkens which is what I wanted.

Reactions: phs

Grinbot

I've had BFGoodrich KO2s on my Prado 150 for 50,0000 kms now. No problems at all - no punctures, even wear, still about 7mm tread left (12 mm depth when new). Driven on many SA outback roads. I rotate all five wheels every 6 months.

I have the slightly bigger size, 265/70R17, to get a little extra clearance and traction.

People complain about wet weather performance with these tyres, but we haven't had a problem yet...

mikehzz

Yokohama's are excellent tyres out there and good on the tar. Multiple sets have never let me down. I used the AT-S but the X-AT will be my next set. I've had the Wildpeak, (didn't go back), and currently have Toyo AT, (seem OK, but I did get a repairable sidewall stake on a brand new tyre). The worst tyre I've used were Bridgestone Desert Dueler AT's that came with the car when I bought it. I had 3 flats in one day on the Oodnadatta Track and couldn't wait to see the back of them. The white lettering was on the outside so that may have had something to do with it as well. :)

cam04

Another vote yokos. I’ve run geo 12 and now 15 for a number of years. On the fourth set now. Not sure I’d go straight to LT’s on a prado though.

megamung

I have been running Nitto Terra grapplers on my Fortuner for about a year/20thousand, only got them because everything else was not available at the time.
they are ok , solid construction, quiet plenty of grip in the dry but atrocious in wet weather.

Most of the Fortuner guys run Falken or BFG and seem happy with them.

discomatt

Been running BFG AT for years, never a puncture and perform excellent in all conditions except wet bitumen where there are just ok so drive accordingly

hiluxxury

Get your pressures right, don't carry too much and monitor your speed. Most big name brands will well out there if you consider these. You don't necessarily need LTs.

phs

I've been running Yokohama X-AT and very happy with them compared to previous Cooper ST Maxx (Rubbish) and Toyo AT2 (Good) and MT ATZ P3 (Loud). The Yokohamas balance well, drive good and are more aggressive than the Falkens which is what I wanted.
We had a look at all those and used the ST Maxx in the past, never seen the Yokohama’s we ended up with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

2luxes

. Now about to do Strezlecki Track, Cameron's Corner etc, and wanting to get new tyres.
I have driven twice over those roads in my Hilux and saw 2wd family sedans on them.

I have also been over the Oodnadatta track twice. I was using standard size Goodyear Wrangler TG tyres on one of them and street tyres on the other. Both were running on hand book pressure's.

The tyres you mentioned should handle those conditions easily. You may get a puncture but that can happen to any tyre, even a 7. 50 x 16 MRF cross ply. They are used extensively on Outback stations and unsealed roads because of their puncture resistance. The sidewalls are about 1 inch thick.

When you get out in those areas, it is not a bad idea to know how to repair punctures properly from the inside. Just about everyone, including me, carries those temporary externally applied plugs but they can not fix every type of puncture and are not legal on the street.

I recently got two punctures from screws in my home town. One was in the centre of the tread so I fixed it from the inside with a Rema Tip Top combination plug which is a round rubber plug with a rubber disc attached to it.

The other one was also through the tread but so close to the edge that I had to use a stem plug due to the angle of the hole. A stem plug is just a round rubber plug with a separate round disc.

I also carry internally applied patches that can fix sidewall tears up to 80 mm long. Holes like that can come from things like consealed sharp tree roots or rocks.

A patch on a hole like that can not be used on the street but it will get you out of the bush.

If the tyre is expensive, not very old and worth saving, you can take it to a company that does major repairs and get it fixed properly. They will remove your patch, install a new one, fill the hole with uncured rubber then vulcanise the whole lot together That should last for the life of the tyre.

Have a look at the tyre section on the Beadell Tours Web site. It takes forever to read through it but you will learn a lot from it.

2luxes

No tire shop anywhere will ever fix side wall damage, they only plug holes in the tread section of a tire
There was two places that would repair sidewalls in the area that I used to live in. I have been in this new area for two and a half years but I have not gone looking for one yet.
There will be one somewhere.

TYNO87

LT are a must for anything more than the occasional graded fire trail. You may get away without them but one day you’ll regret not having them.
Ive just thrown a set of yoko go15s on our prado after a couple of mates who are notoriously hard on gear recommended them. Long story short I’ll be buying another set once this lot are done.
Absolutely excellent manners on road and high speed gravel, surprisingly good off road as well for a fairly tame looking all terrain, even in light mud.