Tyre/wheels what should I be looking at?

Gidgee

Spent too many hours researching this but I'm trying to make a good decision. I have a MY18 LS Colorado with the stock 245/70R16 H/T on factory steel rims. I'd like to sell those and change to A/T, and get some nicer looking wheels, but looks are secondary to other considerations. I don't want to go too much bigger as that appears to be very negative on fuel economy and grunt so would like to keep to less than 31". I understand the factors regarding sidewall and overall diameter in regards to grip. My desire is a tad more clearance and grip with slightly bigger tyres without sacrificing too much on road performance.

So with all that said, I'm not sure whether to stick with 16" or go up to 17, though I do want to change the rims. Thought I might stick with steel rims but sunraysia or D-hole seem to be all that's about the place, which I guess is a good thing if you need to replace a rim.

What's the most readily available tyres in remote areas? Prado OE is 265/65R17? Does that make it a sensible size?

discomatt

I would stick with 16's , cheaper tyres, more options, more side wall. Go a higher ratio so maybe 245/75 , 265/60 is a common size as well

Swaggie

I agree stick with the 16's.
When you decide what brand tyre I suggest you play with tyre pressures when your 4wheelin... You'll find a big difference from 25psi to 16psi especially in The High Country...

shanegtr

Agree with the others, smallest size rim that will fit over your brakes to get as much sidewall height as you can

hiluxdriver

16s, steel rims might not look cool but you can't hammer out a dent in a mint alloy, and pick a name brand tyre

Albynsw

I would stick with 16 inch and steel or alloy will be fine depending on your preference as long as they are a quality brand

Gidgee

OK, 16 it is. Is there a list of common sizes somewhere?

I'm thinking 30.5", so 245/75 or 265/70 maybe, almost same sidewall/diam so is the wider or narrower better in this case?

Aaron Schubert

I just bought 265/75/16's for my Dmax. That's 54mm bigger in diameter than the factory tyres, which is probably too big for what you have mentioned. They are super common though. I'd stick with 16's too.

Albynsw has probably hit the nail on the head - 265-70-16.

You can go to most tyre manufacturers websites and see what sizes they make. Here's what BFG Ko2's come in - https://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/products/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

Aaron

Gidgee

Thanks Aaron, yeah it's not so much about what's available in the city but what's readily available in the bush.

What are people's thoughts on brands/models these days? Probably a can of worms that question.

Aaron Schubert

Thanks Aaron, yeah it's not so much about what's available in the city but what's readily available in the bush.

What are people's thoughts on brands/models these days? Probably a can of worms that question.
Yep. I was sort of implying that the tyre sizes sold by bigger brands are the more common ones. Any big tyre store will be able to tell you what sizes are most common - or ring someone out in the sticks!

It is a huge can of worms when it comes to brands and models. For me, it came down to the BFG Ko2 ($285 each) or the Toyo AT2 ($239 each).

I went with the Toyo's eventually, after many hours of research and chatting to various people.

Aaron

shanegtr

I've noticed the Toyos are a little noiser than my previous Bridgestone ats. I thought it was only noticeable because the disco is so quiet inside.

Tink

Most states only allow a tyre diameter increase of 50mm over stock. 265/70 is under. 265/75 is just over. Be cautious as same makers suggest going to an 8 inch rim for the larger tyres. Check their websites. I run Bridgestone 697 LTs in 265/70/R16 size on OEM 7” steel rims on my Dmax. Whatever brand you look at, make sure it is light truck construction.
Tink

Aaron Schubert

Most states only allow a tyre diameter increase of 50mm over stock. 265/70 is under. 265/75 is just over
Yep. The only exception is if the same vehicle came out with bigger tyres, and only has cosmetic changes (nothing to do with the driveline/brakes/suspension etc) then you can go up to 50mm bigger than this. This is the case for the Dmax I bought - SX base model and the top of the range ones run a 17 inch rim and marginally bigger tyre.

SX tyres are 245 70 16 which is 749.4mm diameter.

LSU tyres are 255 65 17 which are 763.3mm diameter. Plus 50mm = max tyre size of 813.3mm diameter

265 75 16s are 803.9mm and therefore legal

Aaron

Gidgee

The LTZ comes with 30.5" wheels, so having the same on the LS should pose no real issues as I was repeatedly assured there is no difference in chassis or drive train. At $276 might be hard to go past the BFG KO2.