Tyre pressure monitors

Albynsw

Do a search and you will see a thread on it.
I have bought a couple of expensive units before but are now just as happily with the EBay units.
I wouldn’t bother with the expensive ones anymore

rob_macca67

Ta mate, bought a cheapy on ebay for half the cost of store price

Be careful with those cheapies... U might find that they will only let u lower your tyre pressure down to around 20psi, anything lower will send off the alarm. U need to look at the specs first.... unless u don't plan to use them in that way

Albynsw

Be careful with those cheapies... U might find that they will only let u lower your tyre pressure down to around 20psi, anything lower will send off the alarm. U need to look at the specs first.... unless u don't plan to use them in that way

Yes I was going to mention that but Redeye already said he has ordered one, hopefully he chose one with the appropriate pressure ranges

CTL

With the more expensive ones, comes the ability to set your own alarm parameters for each axle. Important when towing

boobook

Agreed. And they look exactly the same. I made this a priority in my search for alarming. The Digioptions ones go down to 0 PSI ( for alarming). They have great range ( distance) too. The batteries are interchangeable and last about 3 years. I got the large display and the solar ones. The solar ones needed charging once in 3 years. Both automatically turn on and off when you move or stop. They take up to 3 mins to read after driving ( and turning on) but alarm immediately if the pressure changes.

The safety Dave ones look exactly the same but only alarmed down to 16 PSI. When I looked at them anyway.

Also get external ones if you 4wd and occasionally need 2 spares. Internal if you only do on road work. IMHO. I know the internal ones give better temperature sensing, but that is a lagging indicator of low pressure so not as useful as it sounds.

Also I have 2 displays, 1 configured for 35PSI alarming ( for 38 to 42 PSI pressure use on highways) and the other is set to 20 PSI. They both read the same sensors. I am just being lazy for on road off road.

Chatty

DigOptions.com.au have some great units - and they will cope with setting "allowable" tyre pressures down to 12 psi.

rob_macca67

I know the internal ones give better temperature sensing, but that is a lagging indicator of low pressure so not as useful as it sounds.
Mainly curious here... but for those that run internal Sensors, what happens when u rotate your tyres? Can u adjust the readout to read the correct tyre pressure for the correct tyre position?? (if u know what I mean)

boobook

Mainly curious here... but for those that run internal Sensors, what happens when u rotate your tyres? Can u adjust the readout to read the correct tyre pressure for the correct tyre position?? (if u know what I mean)

You can Rob. I don't own them fir this reason, but generally, they only allow for 4 to 5 tyres maximum. Most have a way to 'swap the tyres' or reallocate them. But it's a pain to do and designed to be done infrequently.

If you have 6 tyres or more, and have the same tyres and wheels on your trailer as I do, the system all falls apart and even gets expensive. If you have 2 sets of wheels and tyres ( eg Mud and AT) then it gets worse. External means a quick swap of pressure sensors.

Common criticisms of external units are that they fall off, or get stolen. That has never happened to me since first buying them in about 2006, and I park my car in the street in Melbourne. But I did lose one when airing down once. I carry a few spares. Another common criticism is that they are not accurate at measuring temperature. This is true, but by the time the temperature rises, they will have been beeping like crazy for 10 minutes.

CTL

@rob_macca67 I had a set of internals on both vehicle and trailer. When rotating they are a pain to reprogram as @boobook said. Also when changing tyres on rims you need a fitter with 2 more brain cells than most. I had a new set of tyres fitted once and they managed to fit 2 of the 6 sensors wrong. Two slow leaks. Swapped to external after that

Albynsw

@rob_macca67 I used to run internal sensors and the unit I had you just rearrange the receiver position on the in cab display unit.
It wasn’t a big deal but in hindsight the extra advantages of the internal units wasn’t worth the extra hassle so went back to external units.

redeye

Cheers for the replies - l don't go on the sand or situations where l would be dropping my tyre pressure, l just wanted peace of mind on the road, its 95% work use with my ute

brianvicki

I have internal ones on my Jeep, but with the caravan I went with cheap eBay external ones (six sensors) and they were very unreliable.
I have now purchased the ODB2 brand with six wheels, fantastic product, and I turn the caravan pair off when not towing.
and they are priced at $78 - $125, which is very reasonable

rob_macca67

I have internal ones on my Jeep, but with the caravan I went with cheap eBay external ones (six sensors) and they were very unreliable.
I have now purchased the ODB2 brand with six wheels, fantastic product, and I turn the caravan pair off when not towing.
and they are priced at $78 - $125, which is very reasonable

Just checked out their TPMS on their website but they do not mention the "available" Pressure RANGE (ie: minimum)... They mention up to 55psi but don't mention the minimum...
Any idea as to what this may be?

Albynsw

Just checked out their TPMS on their website but they do not mention the "available" Pressure RANGE (ie: minimum)... They mention up to 55psi but don't mention the minimum...

funny you say that because I noticed the same. I sent them an email so will let you know the reply .
Visually they are identical to some of the eBay offerings

rob_macca67

I did find some info in one of the attached videos ... u could see that it only went down to 17psi as a minimum, which is no good for a 4wd going off-road

CTL

I looked at theirs also as their price is very competitive. But like you I couldn’t find a minimum pressure and ended up with Safety Dave which I am very happy with. Had a set of Digioptions which appears exactly the same as Safety Dave, however the Safety Dave monitor appears to have a better battery, only need to charge every week or more

Chatty

The GMC has integrated TPMS using internal sensors as standard, as it is a vehicle standards requirement in the States.
Reprogramming the sensor locations is a 2 or 3 minute job, using the reprogramming tool - switch the TPMS to reprogram mode, hold the tool next to the front left wheel until the horn beeps, then proceed to front right, rear right and rear left wheels.
Easy peasy.