Tyre diameter and rotation.

smitty_r51

Just got back from the big trip that didn't get across the Simpson. 6500km+ on every type of road and track . Gone to rotate the tyres (6 wheels)... Spares were unused and have 15mm off tread and an overall diameter of 815mm.

The four tyres on the car are down to 11mm of tread and a diameter of 807mm. Nearly a cm difference... Should I be concerned swapping them in. Car runs in 2wd on the blacktop but just checking in.

Batts88

I rotate 6 tyres on my GQ spares to front, front to rear, rears go back as spares but I cross them over as the lsd wears left tyre more no issue..

Jut wondering did it wear down 4mm in just over 6,500 km if so that would be a concern.

smitty_r51

Yeah brand new tyres nitto trail grappler in 265-75r16

Seemed excessive to me although they seem to be wearing flat... Will raise it with the tyre place when it goes back for it's free health check

Car is a pathfinder so yes it has some form of traction control /stability control

Jackolux

Yeah brand new tyres nitto trail grappler in 265-75r16

Seemed excessive to me although they seem to be wearing flat... Will raise it with the tyre place when it goes back for it's free health check

Car is a pathfinder so yes it has some form of traction control /stability control
This is my experience with replacing the 2 front tyres on my Dmax I had at the time , after staking the sidewall of one
I fitted 2 new std size 245/70/16' the exact same as the rear tyres but the rears were about 1/2 worn ,
The rears had 6mm less tread than the new fronts , that was about 37mm difference in circumference.
It played havoc with the stability control

Rhett HS

When esp limits torque it will reduce tyre wear, when it does selective braking it will increase tyre wear, sometimes dramatically.

There is a moose test where a jeep's esp engages the brakes selectively and in such a harsh manner that it pops the tyre's bead.

Thats all with four tyres the same diameter.

If you have unusually high tyre wear a part of me wonders if esp could have played a role.

mac_man_luke

I have done it and not had an issue - might be different in an awd vehicle with constant pressure on the centre diff

Trail grapplers do like to wear really fast at the start then it almost stops

smitty_r51

I have done it and not had an issue - might be different in an awd vehicle with constant pressure on the centre diff

Trail grapplers do like to wear really fast at the start then it almost stops
Yeah saw your comments on that when I was looking up wear rates.

If he spent a lot of time in 2wd on those outback tracks they chew your tyres down pretty quickly from my experience
Car was in 4hi or 4 auto for most of the dirt. Then 4 high or 4 low for the tracks and sand.