Change background image

Tyre deflator

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Aza013, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Aza013

Aza013 Member

IMG_0730.JPG g'day everyone.
    Just interested to see if anyone has used these tyre deflator units before?
    They sound ok, but I'm only new to the game so they could be shit lol
    Any info would be great thanks.

2. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Active Member

I've never personally used them but I've heard enough negative feedback on them to not spend my money on a set. I'm looking for a deflator at the moment and I'm leaning towards the valve stem removal type with the guage attached that you can pick up for about $20.

3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Had a set in the glovebox for over ten years
    I changed to the ezydeflator type about 9 years ago
    I prefer the flexibility of changing pressures

4. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Thanks for the feed back.
    I have seen mixed feelings on them when I did a search, a lot due to as said one set psi.
    But I wanted to see what ppl on this forum would say about them ( real ppl )
    Bad thing is I ended up getting a set :( oh well lol.
    Might set them at 25 psi then use it as a start point ( due to the challenger be one of the low to mid range weight 4x4's. )
    Or would that be to low?

5. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

Well it really is determined by what sort of terrain you are traveling on, weight of vehicle etc, its not a case of one pressure suits all.

Beever likes this.
  6. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Yep agree. I'm thinking along the lines of rock, dirt/mud medium level 4wd tracks.
    But then you have weather conditions and so on.......
    So in a way I'm thinking these things will just sit in the tool kit in the back or the glove box lol.
    Or just set them up as a start point for sand/beach trips.

7. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Their slogan is right. They DO let you down. I had 3 sets in the glovebox for years and used them. 18PSI, 24 PSi and 28 PSI.
    They are:
    1)Very slow.
    2)Unstable, the pressure changes. If you set them to 24PSI they drift, with some tyres going to 21PSI and others going to 26 PSI. You need a pressure gauge and a stick to calibrate the tyres after every use which defeats the purpose of them.
    3)It takes yonks to calibrate them. And you should do it at a quiet service station, You have to take the tyre to around 38 PSI then let it down then back to 38 PSI and down etc etc 5 mins for each one.

They were ok when there was nothing better, but think button up flys.

Swaggie and Beever like this.
  8. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Looks like I defenantly got the wrong thing then. Oh well live an learn as they say.
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's good to get real info about things.

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

The problem with them is the set pressures they deflate to. I use a rough loaded guide of 38 bitumen, 28 dirt and 18 sand. BUT that is starting pressures. Been down to 12 on sand and 8 once to get out of some real soft stuff.
    Tink

billolga and Beever like this.
  10. Noel Preston

Noel Preston Active Member

I have a set and am quite happy with them. No issues the times I have used them. I don't find them slow. If you want a choice of pressures calibrate each one differently, will take a bit longer to deflate all four.

11. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

They are good if you loctite the adjustment knob in the right position, and you only go to the one pressure. For someone who's hitting the beach on a regular basis they can be excellent, but they do have a habit of changing pressures via the adjustment moving, and I go to all sorts of different pressures - the ARB EZ deflator works well for me

Aaron

Beever likes this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Even thow I use my E-Z deflator a fair bit I have no issue using my stuans

There good for a pre set myn are setup at 18 which is good for 90% of my use

I don't bother waiting for them finish prior to going I just pop them on and start 4wding

13. boobook

Sure would, it takes about 5 - 6 mins if you do all 4 stauns at the same time from road pressure to 22 PSI.
    If you used one for all 4 tyres, that's about 25 - 30 mins including swapping around and checking pressures a few times. That's why I had 3 sets.

Chuck em in the bin. They are so bloody frustrating.

Do yourself a massive favour get one of these.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jamec-P...270886&hash=item488c5f55f0:g:7AsAAOSwqbZXEWNq

14. Airstrike

Airstrike Member

Had a mate who used these but didn't like it because we did all sorts of terrain and couldn't adjust it accordingly. He ended up using mine and buying a deflator from super-cheap auto

15. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    I will just set them up as a start point for sand driving then adjust it when/if needed with my other deflator.

16. filcar

filcar New Member

I use a Maurice unit, combines a few functions into the one convenient unit, Aussie invention and sold through Ebay.

17. boobook

This is the same as the Jamec Pem one except the case. Inflate or deflate automatically.

Look mum. No Hands.

18. joekar

joekar Active Member

I was given a set about 15 years ago and I spent a little time setting two of them to 22psi and the other two to 16 psi. I used a dab of loctite to keep the setting (they use a threaded adjuster and that can change the pressure setting if it moves due to handling or vibration etc) and then I put a dab of red paint on the 16psi set to identify it.
    They are not fast, especially just doing two tyres at a time, but unless you're in a raging hurry that's not an issue. At least for me.
    So, I find them easy and convenient and reliable.
    I have taken a look at the faster deflator types and decided against getting one. Partly because I just don't like the idea of unscrewing the valve core in a sandy place, partly because I don't want to be kneeling down at each tyre (oh my aching back) and partly because I am happy with my Stauns.
    People will generally champion their own choices of course, just as I have done, but I'd suggest you take the time to set them up the way you want them and then keep them reliable with a dab of loctite and see how you go.

Noel Preston likes this.
  19. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Thanks for the info joekar.
    I might look into doing something like that.

20. Aza013

Aza013 Member

Well the good thing is I'm not out of pocket for these now. I just got my CTP greenslip refund back lol. Covered the cost and then a bit for my pocket :D