Tumut Snow Trip

panda-bear

Hey everyone,

Just wanting to know about 4wd tracks around Tumut and through the long plain area? Visited early this year and plan to be back.

What tracks are possible in the snow?

Also any harder tracks in the area? (i have a ranger on 33s with a front locker)

Triton14

Most of the tracks I know of would be within the Bago, Greenhills & surrounding state forests.
Your a bit early for snow, but mind you fronts can come through any time of the year.

panda-bear

Thanks Triton14,

ok will have to go for a drive through there sometime. Are they kept open during the snow?

Yup:) Just planning ahead!

panda-bear

Can you get to any of the huts in the national parks while through snow? Just thinking it would be a very interesting drive

Triton14

Can you get to any of the huts in the national parks while through snow? Just thinking it would be a very interesting drive
Not sure if the huts exist anymore, some of them may have been list in the fires, that may have been mainly in Vic but I think some of the NSW ones were hit to.
There is a thread on here about the huts affected by the fires if you do a search.

Done forget the whole area was ravaged by fire just 2 months ago!!

Also you do know that your not really permitted to drive of trail in a national park right??

Apart from tarred roads to places like Thredbo, Charlette's pass, Perisher etc its all walking trails only.

There are some trails outside of the park, have a search for some old threads on here for info.

I do recall reading some similar threads.

You might have more luck asking the Victorian high country crew?

panda-bear

ok thats something to consider.

Yes it slipped my mind to think about fire damage.

Ok, yep i have a few mates down in vic that have done the whole snow experience, i will have to ask them

cheers

Triton14

Thanks Triton14,

ok will have to go for a drive through there sometime. Are they kept open during the snow?

Yup:) Just planning ahead!
Id be very hesitant driving through any high country during the snow season, that can be a very very dangerous pursuit!!

You would want to be highly skilled & also posses a lot of common sense & have the right recovery gear including a winch!

RDM

A lot of the huts in Kosciuszko NP that you can access during the snow have unfortunately been burnt in the fires. Long Plain is closed during the winter months so that rules that one out too.