Trip Report - Walhalla 22/3/2008

Patriot

Administrator
This is the first time I have been to Walhalla and it really is a great little historic town. It is nestled deep in the valley and is very picturesque.

We have left exploring the mine until next time, but based on a gold price of $600 / oz, the mine delivered $2,300,000,000 worth of gold, which isnt a fair effort. The mine closed in 1915 with declining gold output and a lack of men given the war. There is also a tourist railway that I am sure the kids will enjoy and the scenery should be very nice.

We took the Old Coach Road all the way to Brunton Bridge and crossed the Thomson River and then turned back around and crossed right back again.

The trip to the bridge is very scenic, and very easy. The trip is definately suitable for 2WD or AWD cars in the dry and probably in the wet. They were minimal ruts and the steep ascents and descents were very managable in the Patriot, although we did see a couple of tracks leading of the main route which were extremely serious descents.

We used the Rooftop map of Walhalla which was quite good. We navigated diligently until we saw a van coming back the other way and at that point we realised the travelling must be pretty good :)

The river crossings were good fun although I wouldn't want to go much deeper with the Patriot.

The scenery are the bridge is magnificent and we had lunch there before heading back.

All in all a great easy track through some spectacular country.

GippsSurfer

Sounds like you had some fun... I would have loved to come up with you guys... sorry, couldnt make it due to the missus and budgetry contraints!

Did you explore anywhere else today or just to Bruntons and back?

centaur

This is the first time I have been to Walhalla and it really is a great little historic town. It is nestled deep in the valley and is very picturesque.

All in all a great easy track through some spectacular country.

Sorry we didnt get to meet you there, but we all slept in, then didnt get to setup camp until about midday.:( In between traffic, damn supermarkets closed on good friday (had to do shooping on the way) and some long queues for Diesel, things were against us.

Glad to see that you had a great time. So did we, and they say if you dont break your 4by, you arent going hard enough, well, I blew a pinion seal in the old girl Cruiser, so limped home always filling the diff with oil....:cool:

All in all, a great weekend.

centaur

Got it wrong there Centaur. "If you don't break your 4by it must be a Nissan." LOL

Goldrush, I met some people at Merringtons that said the same thing, LOL. Especially when I came back with leaking pinions seals.:confused::confused:

Last laugh was had when on of the patrols went out and had to be recovered with a blown engine!!! :D

As they say, go hard or go home. People that say that must have a lot of money to replace their vehicles, I dont....:eek:

My old 60 series might be old, but she seems to be a tough old bird, and these items seem to be original, so have lasted a while.

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

Centaur,

Don't be hard on your old 60 series, I had one and it was bullet proof, petrol/gas and I had only did the head up once after 300,000, I sold her to a local guy and he took it around Australia without a hitch, people can leaf springs but once you have taken them into the rough stuff for about 0.5 of a KM, the rockier the better and you loosen up the rust that binds the springs, they are just as good as coils. If they do go pear shaped many a rig has limped home with a stout tree sapling bound with wire, coils are somewhat more of a problem .

A diff pinion seal, that can happen at any time, a 35 minute job for anyone of mechanical Knowledge.

If there is little or no rust in the body stay with her as Toyota havent made a decent rig since her drivetrain wise - you still see a lot of the old buses out in the bush.

Saw a couple of beauties in very good order up at the 4X4 national Gathering at Mitta Mitta at the weekend, over heard one being asked if he would consider selling it, the reply "no way Hozea!"

Blowing drivetrain seals apart from age is generally lack of periodically checking diff breathers, if these are blocked then any of the seals can blow, lucky it wasn't an axel bearing seal - a lot of people seem to overlook this simple device,as an added precaution you should put evtension hoses on them and put them up as high as you can into the bodywork, save you heaps of dough !

Happy Trails

Bushnut

BUSHNUT

Hi James,

You were fortunate that the river was that low as Brunton's can be very deep,sound like the river was well down- we used to take our bush virgins through there a good number of years ago, entering the water from the Eastern side invlove putting the nose of your fourbie under momentarily before getting level and going for it, I can remember once the front wheels of my old 60 series acting like rudders as we seemed to be afloat at the front end - well done for giving it ago

Bushnut

goldrush

All in good fun Centaur. My mate had a 60 series until recently and it always kept up with my GU. A tough old rig !!! And if something does break a lot easier and cheaper to fix than my Nissan.

Patriot

Administrator
Hi Guys,

Hope to have the pics up soon, I just need to resize them. I watch a many a fourby cross before we gave it a bit of a go. The only people to have trouble getting across were a couple of dirt bikers that stalled midstream, but about 15 vehicles made it across OK, so I thought it be OK. Going across was fine, but coming back was 'interesting'. I think the river was pretty low, which was definately in our favour. :)

We will definately be going out there again, very nice country out there.

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
James, where were you crossing? At bruntons Bridge or at Coopers creek?

Nick

centaur

Centaur,

Don't be hard on your old 60 series, I had one and it was bullet proof,

If there is little or no rust in the body stay with her as Toyota havent made a decent rig since her drivetrain wise - you still see a lot of the old buses out in the bush.

Blowing drivetrain seals apart from age is generally lack of periodically checking diff breathers, if these are blocked then any of the seals can blow, lucky it wasn't an axel bearing seal - a lot of people seem to overlook this simple device,as an added precaution you should put evtension hoses on them and put them up as high as you can into the bodywork, save you heaps of dough !

Happy Trails

Bushnut

Thanks for the advice, bushnut. The diff breathers was one of the items I was going to tackle this weekend. Just looking at them, and thinking reasonably deep water croosing, might need them higher.

I wasnt too hard on her, she does everything I want her to do, and I bought her with the knowledge not much electrically can go wrong, and that I have seen many, many of them still on the road and in the bush, so must be a good rig. As to rust, I had her totally stripped, and there was a little bit (5 cent pice size) in a rear dog leg, and 2 little bits of rust on the roof guttering which I had cut out, so rust wise, she is great (cant beat county cars, from Hillstion!!).;)

In regard to the pinion seal, I will be doing them this weekend as well, and also checking/replacing things like axle seals, and have also just bought a kit/bearings to do swivel hubs as well.

But once again, thanks for the advice, always good to hear that they are good vehicles, and especially from people that have owned them...:D:D

Patriot

Administrator
Photos from Brunton Bridge

Hi all,

Finally, here are the photos from Brunton Bridge. It is really picturesque, and as you can see the river wasn't too high. The way past the crossing was open, with a far bit of traffic going both ways.

2330 shows the easier path through the river. It isn't as deep and is a smoother ride.
2334, whilst being a shorter trip across is a bit deeper, and the Patriot required a little bit of encouragement to get through the deep part of the crossing.

Great fun :)

James

Attachments

• 100_2308.jpg
    100_2308.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_2328.jpg
    100_2328.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_2337.jpg
    100_2337.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_2334.jpg
    100_2334.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_2330.jpg
    100_2330.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 155

centaur

Hi Guys,
Going across was fine, but coming back was 'interesting'. I think the river was pretty low, which was definately in our favour. :)

We will definately be going out there again, very nice country out there.

Patriot, next time you go there, let us know, and if finances oblige, I will definitely go. :D I have only done a couple of water crossings, and I am champing at the bit to do a few more.;) Although I have more clearance, I have found there are still many ways to "stuff it up", and I have seen better equipped vehicles than mine come "unstuck" by choosing wrong lines, not checking depth, etc.:rolleyes:

That definitely looks like a great area to see.:) Maybe next time, dont choose a weekend like easter, as generally plans for these weekends are made weeks in advance....

centaur

All in good fun Centaur. My mate had a 60 series until recently and it always kept up with my GU. A tough old rig !!! And if something does break a lot easier and cheaper to fix than my Nissan.

Hey goldrush, always in good fun... :D I have been on a few camps, and track days with friends, and there always seems to be a friendly rivalry between the cruiser owners and patrol owners. This just goes to show how passionate people can be about their choice of 4by's. :rolleyes:

I am always interested in comparisons between these 2 models, and other models as well. A mate of mine has a patrol, (he gives me heaps for getting the 60) and it is always interesting to see where the weaknesses and strenghts are between the 2. ;)

Hope to meet you out there one day... Have fun :D

goldrush

Patriot, great pics. Looks like you had fun.

Centaur, would love to meet up one day for a run. Just get yourself up to God's own country. QLD .
lol

centaur

Patriot, great pics. Looks like you had fun.

Centaur, would love to meet up one day for a run. Just get yourself up to God's own country. QLD .
lol

Might have to take you up on that offer,;), the mother in law calls there home. The handbrake is hounding me to go up there, so, I now have another (decent) reason to go, LOL. :D