Trip Report - Neerim Area - 03.10.09

Bainsy

G'day Bainsy

That's all of the videos now uploaded. Not sure, but I think there is one of you coming out of the creek (hole) somewhere in the list of them. I don't remember hearing a bang though.

yeh the video cut out before it made it out of the hole. thats when the CV let go. lucky i have spares! the vids dont do this track justice! I think Elbie84 took a few vids of that track aswell.

i will have to post pics of my damage when i pull the front apart... and when i can upload photos from my phone!

what would you compare this track to davidman?

Elbie84

Hey bainsy,

yeah i got got the vid of you coming out of the hole but dont have any sound on it, ill try and upload it fo ya anyway.

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I would probably compare this track ( going in the up direction ) to Lady Manner Sutton South Track near Fumina. The only difference is that this one has ruts like you wouldn't believe and LM Sutton Sth doesn't. Probably the same steepness, if that's a word.

Grumpy, Robz and I tried LM Sutton Sth a little while back and ended up going around and coming down......couldn't make it up.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good trip there boys.

Doesn't matter how many tracks you went on.

Only that you were out cruis'n for the day!

Looks like a bit of fun that.

Coxy

At least the weather looked good!!!!

Seriously though, glad you all made it home safely
Coxy

Bainsy

The Damage

this is the damage from the CV letting go last weekend :D

this is whats left of the CV...
105110_GetAttachmentaspx1.jpg

this is the stub axle with the brass bush and a bit of the inside torn out of it...
36729_GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

This is the knuckle where the CV sits inside, lots of chunks taken out...
365698_GetAttachmentaspx2.jpg

I have got a new stub axle, cleaned up the knuckle and put in my spare CV... Thank god for spares! i have the front drive shaft at the driveline place, got a phonecall from them yesterday and its stuffed! now im up for a new double cardan. now to check out the winch!

Nickj

Looks like you had a fun day? Shame about the damage boys. I guess we don't have these trucks to drive them around Toorak. I am just waiting for the insurance company to see another damaged sill on my Pathy from the other weekend.

What is it with Bainsy? We went out for 3hrs and only did one track too!

Nick

Davidman

Hi Nick
Out of curiosity, which insurance company are you with ( I know there is a post somewhere on this topic ) and how do you find them. Probably a stupid question, but are there any insurance companies out there that cover self inflicted mechanical damage. Probably don't want to know what the premium would be if there are. Should also read my policy one day to see what they really cover ( or don't cover )

Nickj

We are with CGU. They didn't ask too many questions this time or last time I did it either. The repairs were just under $4k last time, this time will prob be around $2k. The premium is pretty good. If you want I can look it up? We have a Farm policy and the cars are covered under that.

Nick

Triplayhard

Came across that track while scouting for firewood a while back but was heading in the "down" direction. I was alone and had a tray full of wood so needless to say i didn't get too far before i bailed. I remember doing three point turn after three point turn through the trees! glad i didn't decide to have a go by myself!!!

Davidman

In at the mechanics at the moment. Looks like drivers side CV at minimum.
Will let you know once it is all repaired

I am keen to get back out there, maybe just some different tracks to where we were.

Davidman

Yep, drivers side CV gone, and apparently gone in a big way. Talking with Mat at Gippsland Off Road this afternoon, he said that it just fell out. Oh well, as they say, if you are going to do something, may as well do it properly. Couple of pics attached. Further update when more work is done on the Pajero. Thanks for the photos Elise.

899623_PajeroCV1.jpg

922944_PajeroCV2.jpg

Davidman

Sort of defeats the purpose of 4x4 if you only have drive to one wheel. At least it still steered okay, not like Bainsy's :eek::eek:

Bainsy

yeh, that would do it! is the CV actually broken or it is just the shaft snapped after the CV? either way its still a whole drive shaft thats gota be replaced!