Trip Report - Bunyip 25/04/2008

Coxy

My first ever trip leading others, slightly nervous and hoping for a great day.

The weather looked excellent and the day started at 09.30 at the ranger's office in Gembrook. He said all the tracks were running as easy and looked at the standard Pathy with worn HT tyres on and said "you could go anywhere in this park in that mate, nothing to worry about" He even suggested that I had a look at Anderson's!

I moved on to Dyer's PG to meet with Bullstat, Kirvin and their families. This gave us a bit of time for a meet and greet and the kids to get to know each other and kick the footy about.

We decided that even though the ranger suggested Andersons we would take it "easy" and head up the Blue Ridge Track via Little Bunyip. At the right turn under the powerlines onto little Bunyip we engaged low range and headed on up into the clouds. The going was good and we were glad it was dry (Kirvin was praying for rain, but Bullstat and I are rookies). The track was well rutted and I would have never got the Pathy up in the wet with standard tyres.

About half way along little Bunyip and a sharp left hand bend I saw the DEEPEST ruts. I kept the Pathy going as far as I could, but bottomed out as I thought. Backed up to have another look and ripped the side step. Oh well, sh1t happens! We all stopped and had another look and a good chat about the best way to get through. I chose a different line and with the aid of the electric LSD bounced the Pathy through. Bullstat had a moment here, but bounced through again and Kirvin just put the foot down in the Paj (with big muddies on) and breezed it. He then got out and bragged that he was in 4 High!

Once at the top we turned right onto blue range and had an uneventful run along to Bunyip ridge. Bunyip ridge on the descent was deeply rutted, but thankfully dry and the going was slow but fun. All in all with many stops for photos and the little "episode" we had a very pleasant 2 hour drive and got back to Dyer's for lunch.

Out came the esky's the picnics and the little burner for the snags. The area was busy now with other groups and bikers, but good fun and lots of other kids for ours to run about with. The only down side was the damn European wasps. They were everywhere and because of this we didn't spend too long with food out.

Back on the road again and we were off towards home following the powerlines toward Labertouche, but then we decided to have a look at Nash creek loop track. Rates easy on the Parks Vic map we thought we had nothing to loose.....

The track was narrow, rutted and steep in places. Another rutted rising section had the Pathy relying on the electronic traction aids, but we all got through. Fallen trees proved to another testing obsticle, but fun also. A slight error in directions by myself saw that we left the park a different way than originally planned, but it was all pleasant driving.

I only had my phone as a camera, but I’m sure the other will post some decent snaps.

I had a great day and really enjoyed meeting Bullstat, Kirvin and their families. Hope to do it again once I've got better tyres. After all of that and having my two kids on my own I am extremely glad that the advert is true....... Carlton Draught is indeed, made from beer!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Coxy

Last edited:

goldrush

Looks like you boys had a great day. Some of those ruts could be a bit of trouble in the wet. Look forward to seeing more photos of your trip.

Cheers

Cliff

Patriot

Administrator
Hi Coxy,

Great work, sounds like everyone had fun. Those ruts do look prety deep :) Rain would definately made it a lot more 'interesting'. Hopefully we can meet up soon :)

Cheers,

James

Coxy

You're on buddy, but I reckon we would need to tie the Patriot to the back of Kirvin's Paj with the big tyres on mate. The pathy wasn't too happy. bent the side step and the exhaust today!!!!!! But hey, I had fun!

Last edited:

Bullstat

Iagree with Coxy that it was a good day, it was my first full blown 4x4 assualt & we had a great time & today my Triton proved It certainly Isnt a "Lightweight vehicle" as somebody has called It on this forum. Thanks Coxy & Kirvin for a memorable & fun day.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 4wdingBunyip 030.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 030.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 4wdingBunyip 041.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 041.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 134
  • 4wdingBunyip 011.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 011.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Bullstat

photos

I left my camera at home so its only the camera phone. By the way Coxy I love that pic you took of the Triton in those ruts

Attachments

• 4wdingBunyip 015.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 015.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 4wdingBunyip 032.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 032.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 4wdingBunyip 040.jpg
    4wdingBunyip 040.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Memo to all. TAKE THE CAMERA.
Good to see you guys had a great day. That Parks Guy in Gembrook's words ring a bell.... My mate had to park his STD 80 series Cruiser in the deep ruts on Andersons Tk overnight which was mid last year, before they graded it. The "recovery" guy came out from Gembrook with a STD Jeep Renegade with HT tyres on. He even charged my mate an extra $30 because his Jeep got bogged and they had to pull him out! My mate ended up getting stuck badly again and we went up there with a hand winch and heaps of cables and straps to pull him out the slow way.

Catch up with you guys one day. Coxy, 2in lift and some good ATs and your Pathy will go most places..
Never unstoppable though... No car is.

Nick

Kirvin

hi all

Pete has given a great account of the days events :)
the family had a great time, little miss is already asking when we can go on the "bumpy road" again :)

hopefully next time the wasps will have gone, so we can sit and enjoy lunch.
(must bring bug repellent!)

looking forward to doing it again soon.
here are a couple of our pics from the day.

cheers
kirvin

image_not_available.jpg

image_not_available.jpg

image_not_available.jpg

image_not_available.jpg

image_not_available.jpg

image_not_available.jpg

Bullstat

Memo to all. TAKE THE CAMERA.
Good to see you guys had a great day. That Parks Guy in Gembrook's words ring a bell.... My mate had to park his STD 80 series Cruiser in the deep ruts on Andersons Tk overnight which was mid last year, before they graded it. The "recovery" guy came out from Gembrook with a STD Jeep Renegade with HT tyres on. He even charged my mate an extra $30 because his Jeep got bogged and they had to pull him out! My mate ended up getting stuck badly again and we went up there with a hand winch and heaps of cables and straps to pull him out the slow way.

Catch up with you guys one day. Coxy, 2in lift and some good ATs and your Pathy will go most places..
Never unstoppable though... No car is.

Nick

Mate I had the camera in my hand, we were just leaving the unit and the camera was in my hand, I dont know what happend but when we met up with Kirvin at Berwick we didnt have It, when we arrived home we found It next to the front door.

Last edited: