Trimming the hedgerow

sharkcaver

An 8 day, 1800Km solo trek through the Wheatbelt and Western Goldfields.

Some exciting news to hand:

My first article on geotouring will be published in WA's premier 4wd magazine: Western 4W Driver, issue #113. Published in December. Go grab yourself a copy.

And come on down to the Perth 4WD and Adventure show where I take the stage at the fourbie forum at 1130pm on both the Saturday and Sunday where I will discuss finding treasure in the bush. If you pass by, come say g'day.

Here's the first instalment of the trip:

sharkcaver

Nice vid
So as it rains on the rock those barriers collect it to the tank !
That's it. The engineering and enginuity of supplying water in the Wheatbelt and Goldfields is remarkable. It's what one had to do to survive. Beringbooding was built in the 1930's. I dont know how long the roof will last, but it hasn't changed too much from my memory in the last few years...I'd have to check my old photo's...... unlike some of the homesteads I visit a bit later in following parts.

That's it. The engineering and enginuity of supplying water in the Wheatbelt and Goldfields is remarkable. It's what one had to do to survive. Beringbooding was built in the 1930's. I dont know how long the roof will last, but it hasn't changed too much from my memory in the last few years...I'd have to check my old photo's...... unlike some of the homesteads I visit a bit later in following parts.
I wouldn’t have thought it would collect that much for such a big tank.
I’ll have a read myself now you’ve giving me the name

cheers

doesn't rain often but when it does, be ready, i guess Swaggie ! shame the leaders of today don't think the same way
I did think that must be the case if they went to that trouble....Like a monsoonal rain

We’ve been told here in Victoria by Politico’s that more dams doesn’t mean more water ! ????

cheers

shanegtr

My oldies where out at Beringbooding rock a couple of years ago (Im fairly sure this was it). They mentioned it rained during the night and there was that much water flowing down the aqueduct to the tank that it was overflowing

sharkcaver

That was it. Wow, cant say I've heard of it over flowing before - or do you mean the aqueduct? I guess I could conjure that not handling the amount of flow in a good rain event. I've stood inside it before, it must be a meter or so high and a good meter in width (IIRC).

mikehzz

They found some hand prints in some rocks near the rail tracks at Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains. The experts came in and said they were culturally significant and needed preserving. They shut down the trains for a few days until a couple of blokes came forward and told them they did them for a laugh when they were teenagers. Red faces..... :)

dgm

Really enjoying your trip videos Shane. Drone seems very stable in the wind and I even noticed a sheet of iron tumbling in the top of one of you drone shots. Title makes sense now. Had a very similar issue a few yrs back on a very overgrown track in the vic high country. Another top effort on your video. Regards. Duncan

sharkcaver

Thanks Duncan. The drone was reasonably stable, but I didn't want to push the envelope in those winds, I still haven't got a feel for its capabilities yet. Overgrown tracks are like mud - they suck. That said, it beats working.