Tray Touring setups

fazz

Following on from discussions in other threads I though it would be good to have thread dedicated to touring setups. Trays, canopys slide on campers or what ever you are doing!

I've thrown in some images of setups I've saved along the way...

I haven't decided on a setup for my rig yet so this thread may also serve as some trayspiraiton

c147bad0f46266f3bdac600e7edfc263.jpg

435d086e366f6b5092f186e3e3306ec1.jpg

651c08e113bdb625cb3e41a22039bd47.jpg

6632a1764266daa69dde8e23cdb0f241.jpg

5f11f2eff6917e360f8f8560cc435eae.jpg

8351dc0e8889149d7d520b1127926723.jpg

9c68544c56cba610012e9c866c1f1e07.jpg

Here are some others

b76e48708768585e7e6190b08645d73f.jpg

3254a20e99e9d3f0cb9d645030c844bb.jpg

b494422a4534af52c3a0eb333664903a.jpg

57d2968fce43b31a720c65a74460819a.jpg

996d7eef7ce1dfc8102eee3fb3533c11.jpg

3e436b719bc697490f1d489c12837529.jpg

4fbe57b8108a44b3d45fc0ddd19bd2dc.jpg

7b1dd8ce2ef8ad861f0eae0e15025ef4.jpg

42efe9fe6f45fdbe2146ab06a111839c.jpg

cec7ce5fb06d16bd6a25a056e3dcc3e1.jpg

b93904def6822265de32537458454fcb.jpg

264e3d5c7a21772d359c20bdd15b107f.jpg

d34c6ed3577e710b846c209602bf8c80.jpg

244de9c6151719675dc0bd2bfa51a726.jpg

6cced7d2bb11457ed9100d9d80d5e4cb.jpg

ee024c84b36e19896d26c31b61ae434f.jpg

83cbb7fc75334f693b703bee796d1727.jpg

643f632e49520080e931fb01da59624d.jpg

db91b8dff2f22a156400a567c3796068.jpg

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
You've got a dual cab, yeah ?
Ideally some of those like the old Landy set up almost level with the roof would be ideal, less wind resistance etc.

I'd like to see any RTT placed as far forward as possible, with weight at least even over rear axle, or even slightly forward on rack extension a little over a cab, tent opening to a side, probably left hand side.

This might not be possible on a duel cab, depending on tent and rack design.

Towie

You've got a dual cab, yeah ?
Ideally some of those like the old Landy set up almost level with the roof would be ideal, less wind resistance etc.

I'd like to see any RTT placed as far forward as possible, with weight at least even over rear axle, or even slightly forward on rack extension a little over a cab, tent opening to a side, probably left hand side.

This might not be possible on a duel cab, depending on tent and rack design.

I totally agree Les that is deffinately the go.
I like the Ironman setup with tent lower on the cross members would be easy to make to & all the awnings it has gets you coverred from every direction.

mac_man_luke

Keeping an eye on this thread, planning on building an alloy tray / canopy later this year so after ideas.

Hopefully integrating a hard top RTT onto it as well.

Albynsw

I think an alloy gullwing canopy is the go under your tent. Rummaging through all those space cases etc in the rain looking for gear is a pain in the arse. Plus everything gets wet or covered in dust.

If you are only doing weekend trips etc I suppose it doesn't matter but a bit of a chore on big trips.

The 80 series trailer is a bit of a novelty but pretty useless from a practical point of view. Good on him for doing it though

fazz

I think an alloy gullwing canopy is the go under your tent. Rummaging through all those space cases etc in the rain looking for gear is a pain in the arse. Plus everything gets wet or covered in dust.

If you are only doing weekend trips etc I suppose it doesn't matter but a bit of a chore on big trips.

The 80 series trailer is a bit of a novelty but pretty useless from a practical point of view. Good on him for doing it though

Yeah saw him on my way home thought I had to grab afew snaps!

Yeah I quite like the hilux setup with the RTT just above the cab hoping to get afew more ideas!

Do you currently have a gullwing mounted mate?

2luxes

They all look the part but some may be a little too tail heavy. particularly the white Cruiser ute on the beach with its two huge wheels hanging off the back.

I rarely buy magazines but I made an exception today and bought the latest edition of 4x4 Australia. The reason was the Harrop modified Hilux and Ron Moon's discussion on the causes of chassis bending with people from Polyair Springs and the Outback repair workshops in Birdsville, Oodnadatta and Alice Springs.

Some of the cars in the photos posted here look like prime candidates for major problems. Some may be ok but many look like they could have far too much heavy material too far back behind the rear axle. No amount of heavier springs or air bags are going to take it away when the rear end of the car is bouncing up and down on rough roads and flexing the end of the chassis.

Have a look at the magazine and let us know what you think.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
2luxes, I agree with you mate, and this is especially the case with dual cabs.

As convenient etc as dual cabs might be doubling up for family & playtime, almost all you see have way more of the tub behind the rear diffs than in front, some a lot more than others.
Why it's so important to get the heavier loads up front of tub / tray if possible, and lighter things to the rear . . . and don't use airbags that put pressure at one point above the diff, rather than at leaf spring mounts spreading the load better to the chassis.

Some vehicles are worse than others, here's a few pics (one's my Ranger) and a few other makes / models found online . . .

Iveco seem to have it right.
The Ranger, and some of the others, not too bad if loaded right.
Some of the others look like they're bent just sitting there, the extra cab Hilux IS bent, obviously the load is way too far back, and probable chassis extension and all.
The red Nav also looks bent.

Do you think QR will load those Tritons correctly ??
Hope so, and that no air bags are fitted to cope with load !!

Attachments

• IvecoDaily.JPG
    IvecoDaily.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 464
  • mahindra.jpg
    mahindra.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 100dualcab.jpg
    100dualcab.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 528
  • navara2004.jpg
    navara2004.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 532
  • triton.jpg
    triton.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 673
  • triton2006.JPG
    triton2006.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 494
  • TritonQLDrail.jpg
    TritonQLDrail.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 719
  • PK Ranger.JPG
    PK Ranger.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 777
  • Hilux_extracab.jpg
    Hilux_extracab.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 3,234

GazaShaggy

I have a big tray fitted to my dual cab Hilux and loading smartly is one thing I always knew when I got it, the reason I need it so big is to fit two full size enduro bikes on the back which isn't a lot of weight over the rear.
When I have time, money and space I plan to make a short steel tray and swap depending on what trip I'm doing. This might seem extreme but I like the long tray with built in ramp for the bikes but better departure angle would be good.

discomatt

Those tritons look like a disaster waiting to happen, don't need a degree in engineering to work that out

80lover96gxl

Those tritons look like a disaster waiting to happen, don't need a degree in engineering to work that out

There the most common dc to bend chassis, the amount of tray space gives people the wrong impression that they can load it up to the hilt and not have any issues,, even more so when people add rear bars to then, especially with duel carriers.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's well planned fourocker, great way to set it up.
Hows the height to get in the tent, do you have a shortened ladder and just duck under there to get in ?
Not too much of an issue for the lower COG.

muc the truck

My Home made tray and lift off camper . It now also has a hard top roof top camper . sleeps 5
Queen mattress in the box with a 2000mmx1200mm draw under the mattress with 4 port holds under the mattress on either side of the draw so this gives me 1600x2000 x 200mm of storage space low down .

Tray has a 140 ltr draw rolling on about 50 roller skate bearings that can hold a 60ltr water tank , tin food etc and is a table too . Side boxes on tray has a compressor and 2nd battery plus recovery and tools . Tray is hot dip galvanised and has gates like a farm truck , Have air bags because my load changes from empty to Full and I don't want a arsole ride quality empty by fitting HD springs.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    988.3 KB · Views: 624
  • beach bum.jpg
    beach bum.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 647
  • ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:

2luxes

Do you think QR will load those Tritons correctly ??

Not a chance in the world. Those cars are destined for the damaged car auctions.

That photo and a few of the others are classic examples of why cars bend. People tend to forget that the section of the tray sticking out the back behind the axle is a lever with no support under the end of it. If you placed a spare wheel for example on it directly above the axle, it would exert a downward pressure of about 30 kgs or so. If you put it on the rear end of the tray, it will push down with a hell of a lot more force than 30 kgs. I think it increases by the square of the distance it is behind the axle. If you drop the rear wheels into a washout, the load falls and hits the end of the chassis even harder.

If you added two wheels, a tow bar, a trailer and heaps of gear at the rear of the tray, the car could be 300kg under GVM but still in serious danger of bending its chassis.

Heavier springs don't help. When the rear end of the car falls, the end of the chassis goes down, the springs compress and the chassis and the compressed springs pivot as one on the rear axle bearings and try and lift the front. The front has too much weight on it to move very much so the chassis eventually fails in the rear axle area due to a build up of metal fatigue caused by constant flexing outside its design limits.

muc the truck

Not a chance in the world. Those cars are destined for the damaged car auctions.

That photo and a few of the others are classic examples of why cars bend. People tend to forget that the section of the tray sticking out the back behind the axle is a lever with no support under the end of it. If you placed a spare wheel for example on it directly above the axle, it would exert a downward pressure of about 30 kgs or so. If you put it on the rear end of the tray, it will push down with a hell of a lot more force than 30 kgs. I think it increases by the square of the distance it is behind the axle. If you drop the rear wheels into a washout, the load falls and hits the end of the chassis even harder.

If you added two wheels, a tow bar, a trailer and heaps of gear at the rear of the tray, the car could be 300kg under GVM but still in serious danger of bending its chassis.

Heavier springs don't help. When the rear end of the car falls, the end of the chassis goes down, the springs compress and the chassis and the compressed springs pivot as one on the rear axle bearings and try and lift the front. The front has too much weight on it to move very much so the chassis eventually fails in the rear axle area due to a build up of metal fatigue caused by constant flexing outside its design limits.

all the cracks and bends I have noticed seem to have increased in numbers since manufactures started using 2mm and 2.5mm steel for chassis (too thin as far as I am concerned ) and since the internet has been around too lol. If a brand continually finds it self bent it has to become a trend or a common problem .
Buyers will avoid the problem by avoiding the brand not blame them self like some should. manufactures are not innocent either , they should look at there weaknesses and improve design faults . some times all that's needed is a plate or a drain hole smaller or shifted to make an area stronger . 300 kilo under the payload should survive very well if its between the spring shackles and spring eyes .