Traveling under the current situation

Zamunda

So a lot of our work is getting rescheduled. Not so great when being self-employed. But it is what it is. So we are thinking of going bush. Question is, is this part of "self-isolation" / "social distancing"? Or should we rather stay put at home?

What are your thoughts?

mikehzz

If you go then you can be almost self isolating if you restrict contact only to fuel supply outlets, plus you'll be helping their economy at the same time. Of course, if you've got symptoms or been in contact with a positive case then forget it. It's a tough call. The best option is to quarantine at home for a time and then take off to the bush if you're still clear.

Zamunda

If you go then you can be almost self isolating if you restrict contact only to fuel supply outlets, plus you'll be helping their economy at the same time. Of course, if you've got symptoms or been in contact with a positive case then forget it. It's a tough call. The best option is to quarantine at home for a time and then take off to the bush if you're still clear.
we work mostly from home. so hopefully we have not come into contact. but never know the way this is spreading.

Kippie

We were in the same dilemma. We live fairly isolated and only come into contact with others when we go shopping as we have abandoned all other social activities. However, there is still a risk and we decided that if we were to be ill, then it's better to be at home than in a tent in a remote location where help is not readily available. Moreover, remote areas may increasingly get locked up. The Northern Land Council is not issuing permits anymore. I expect other Councils to follow. So we decided to stay around. It doesn't mean we don't do trips. We do; one is planned starting this Wednesday. But we won't stray too far away from civilisation.

Neddysmith

A few points, if you head out bush and and basically only come in minimal contact while getting essentials such as fuel and food, the chance of coming in contact with someone infected i would imagine was so minimal compared to be being in towns or cities.

Also, does anyone have any links to travel being limited, banned or restricted, we have been planning on a 4mth trip later this year leaving mid July, but i havent been able to find anything official in writing, only a few posts here and there on FB or forums. I would have thought it would have all died down by then and back to business as usual come July so out trip will be full steam ahead,.

Kippie

It's difficult to predict that far ahead, it's still evolving. Increasingly more areas are choosing to lock themselves up. Social media is your best info source, but call ahead before you go.

Bomber2012

A few points, if you head out bush and and basically only come in minimal contact while getting essentials such as fuel and food, the chance of coming in contact with someone infected i would imagine was so minimal compared to be being in towns or cities.

Also, does anyone have any links to travel being limited, banned or restricted, we have been planning on a 4mth trip later this year leaving mid July, but i havent been able to find anything official in writing, only a few posts here and there on FB or forums. I would have thought it would have all died down by then and back to business as usual come July so out trip will be full steam ahead,.
No restrictions atm , if we are put into lockdown that could change . If that scenario does happen it would be difficult to police it , anyone know how it would work ?

smitty_r51

We can't find any guidance from government... We are due to do a Simpson crossing at the end of this month. We have to cross 4 states... If one of those is in lock down do we have to stay there or do we return home.

We will be limited to fuel stops, that is it... We are spreading nothing. It is getting back that is now the concern

discomatt

Who knows what will happen, 2 days ago there was no talk of no students at Monash Uni, I was working there this morning and it was very quiet, then I heard that last night they made the call to have no student contact at all. All lectures are now streamed live.
This will go on for months to slow infection so the hospital system can keep up.
IMO it will go on for the majority of this year and millions will get the infection within the next 2 years unless they come up with a drug cure quicker than normal and make it readily available for the population

smitty_r51

Who knows what will happen, 2 days ago there was no talk of no students at Monash Uni, I was working there this morning and it was very quiet, then I heard that last night they made the call to have no student contact at all. All lectures are now streamed live.
This will go on for months to slow infection so the hospital system can keep up.
IMO it will go on for the majority of this year and millions will get the infection within the next 2 years unless they come up with a drug cure quicker than normal and make it readily available for the population
Yeah we are all getting this virus... It is just a case of trying to stagger it so we don't all turn up at the hospital at the same time

Colly18

Yeah we are all getting this virus... It is just a case of trying to stagger it so we don't all turn up at the hospital at the same time
I'm a little more optimistic; I figure half of us will get it before a vaccine is found. I figure heading bush/away from cities and larger towns is OK (even preferable!) as long as you are in pretty good health.
I plan to (and really need to) escape home and town for a few weeks soon. So I'm hoping the government doesn't start restricting travel within Oz.
Plenty of folk are going to go stir-crazy at home this year, with events and gatherings being cancelled all over the place. Shopping precincts/malls are going to become increasingly quiet.
Fortunately for me I'm not that keen on crowds and prefer nature and solitude, so it will be no real inconvenience for me to practice 'social distancing'.
Providing one takes recommended precautions, I think one is less likely to pick up Covid-19 in rural/remote locations than in the city.

Bomber2012

But makes serious sense!
Restrict travel away from the narrow, populated coast line and reduce the spread of CV19 exponentially. Limited health resources in rural Australia.
Might make sense but how will it be policed ?

CTL

Might make sense but how will it be policed ?
Well if I had any faith left in humanity, I would say that one person’s love and respect for another’s health and mortality, would mean that the population would restrict their travel voluntarily.
But, as we all know, nobody gives a rats about their fellow humans, so their actions will need to be “policed” which would be extremely expensive and resource extensive.

smitty_r51

It is going to be... It is the solution that requires the least input from our leaders, it puts the onus and the complication on those now stuck at home with the kids or unable to visit grandma or heaven forbid able to earn a wage this week.

Hopefully it doesn't get to the point we are locked down .