Transfer to QLD Rego

Grippy

G'day everyone.
We are close to making a move from Adelaide to the Gold Coast (hopefully by Xmas) and I have been trying to find out about the rego transfer and such for both our cars, the wife has a Suzuki Grand Vitara which will get road worthy etc with no probs, I understand its a vehicle ID check, and general runover for roadworthy. However I am wondering about my old Surf, how picky are they when the thing goes in for its rwc, I mean its in a roadworthy condition, I like to keep it up to scratch to avoid being stuck anywhere, just looks a little rough from being used and abused, surely can't be worse than the RTA here and the pirates at our Regency that do inspections, although we only have to send it over the pits if you get defected on the road by a cop.

The old thing isn't worth much, so would it be better to flog it off to someone before we leave and then get something cheap straight away (has to be 4x4) or drive it up and chance the rego swap. Problem is it would have to be cheap again as our funds would have been smashed by moving in the first place. Looking forward to being able to actually go on some 4x4 tracks without having to pay, everything here in SA is locked and blocked.

muc the truck

G'day everyone.
We are close to making a move from Adelaide to the Gold Coast (hopefully by Xmas) and I have been trying to find out about the rego transfer and such for both our cars, the wife has a Suzuki Grand Vitara which will get road worthy etc with no probs, I understand its a vehicle ID check, and general runover for roadworthy. However I am wondering about my old Surf, how picky are they when the thing goes in for its rwc, I mean its in a roadworthy condition, I like to keep it up to scratch to avoid being stuck anywhere, just looks a little rough from being used and abused, surely can't be worse than the RTA here and the pirates at our Regency that do inspections, although we only have to send it over the pits if you get defected on the road by a cop.

The old thing isn't worth much, so would it be better to flog it off to someone before we leave and then get something cheap straight away (has to be 4x4) or drive it up and chance the rego swap. Problem is it would have to be cheap again as our funds would have been smashed by moving in the first place. Looking forward to being able to actually go on some 4x4 tracks without having to pay, everything here in SA is locked and blocked.
A roadworthy is the same in any state. what difference in the end result will just be a foresight on a lazy mechanic. Your car if its registered should be roadworthy now if its driven. Some mechanics are lazy, want a quick buck and will be prepared to risk loosing there house , business and even go to jail but 99% wont so make sure your car is roadworthy or your going to get a very rude shock. parts and mechanics are cheaper were you now live and besides its a great time to make sure its up to the journey. Go see your local mechanic. You need a roadworthy to transfer it to QLD.

You have to weigh up the fuel costs of driving 2 vehicles , Is the second vehicle required. You may be better of selling it now , saving the cash for a deposit on a second car when you arrive . Probably going to cost you 1500 in fuel just to get the 2nd car there .

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Probably going to cost you 1500 in fuel just to get the 2nd car there .

~ 2000km, should be only $450 or so, depending on fuel type / usage.
Mind you, if the family can fit in one vehicle, then might as well sell one here and travel together.
Cars are VERY cheap up there now, so maybe take the 4B, easy to pick up another runabout when you get there.

Muc, we don't have inspections like up there, only Regency Pk DPTI that do them from interstate, or defect inspections etc.
I think anyone taking an interstate vehicle up there might need to go to relevant QLD GOVCO place for full look over, wouldn't think it would be a mechanic type of annual roadworthy inspection.

russell789

It's a numbers check and safety check, I had trouble with my cruiser. Everybody gave the keys back when they saw the 33s and 4 inch lift, they also don't like anything adjustable, panhards, control arms etc.

As long as you have 2 inches or less lift, and only 1 inch lift through tyres you should be ok modification wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grippy

Ah cheers guys, just what i thought. Not driving the wifes car up, its going on a truck, thing is too small for a long trip. I reckon Ill just ditch mine and buy something up there, seems to be the easiest way and saves mucking around with the pits and having to fix things i have overlooked.

russell789

On the plus side, up here before you can list a car for sale it needs to have a roadworthy done on it, so that's one less headache

Grippy

On the plus side, up here before you can list a car for sale it needs to have a roadworthy done on it, so that's one less headache

Ah beauty, even better. Here you can sell the nastiest piece of crud on the road.