trailers

kdalton

im thinking of building a camp trailer.i have a standard 6x4 trailer.can anyone tell me how to convert the standard into a semi off road trailer. thanks

redtarro

To start with you will need to replace the standed springs , axle and bigger wheels, also check out the sub
frame to see how that is.Really should go the whole way under neath , But can add to it, and the look at
the hitch. I've done it with mine years ago and put a rooftop tent on it. Worked out well.
Good luck.

dno67

Some of the typical differences between on and off road trailer, the type of coupling, 45mm square axle with braking of some sort (preference would be electric brakes such as Alco offroad)with appropriately rated springs, 15 or 16 inch wheels (preferably matched to the tow tug) and heavier draw bar (something like 75mmx50mmx3mm) to mount a box and other gear too. The off road trailers usually have 500mm sides on the tub, you have to keep the finished height in mind as it needs to suit the drop of the ten you choose if you are going to fit a ten top.
Hope this helps.

TonyF8

Firstly I would look at the welds that connect the drawbar to the trailer, this is where most failures occur. Not to sure about square axles, as round is much harder to bend, size for size. Depending on your expected trailer gvm, brakes are a requirement, if more than 750 kg, suspension can be as simple as a set of 7 leaf rebounders, which will do everything you need, through to independent, price and spare part avaliabilty is something to be considered. Have a look at some of the camping shows to get some ideas, but don't get sucked in to some of the advertising.
Cheers.
Tony F8.

kdalton

trailer

thanks guys.im not going to tow over 750kg so I don't need brakes.so I will fit 7 leaf springs.heavyer axle.and fit 15 or 16 inch rims.will the rims fit under the mud guard or do I have to do more . thanks

dno67

Not sure what kind of off roading your looking at doing with your trailer but even a couple 100Kg pushing you down a track is not preferable or safe, a braked square axle is the choice as it's less likely
to spin in the ubolts tearing brake connections away under heavy braking conditions. Wheel bearings on the chosen axle are also worth considering.

Stupid Flanders

You dont need to fit anything 'heavy duty'. The springs/axle/hubs need to be rated to the load the CT will carry.

The only issue you may have is that the std leaf slipper springs can come attached at the rear on severe bumps and that can be a factor in the trailer flipping.

If its on a budget then buy your tent and fit it, load it up with everything you are going to take with you camping and have it weighed at a weighbridge.

You may be surprised that it is over the 750kg mark and you need to legally fit brakes. If it is then as mentioned you want a square axle with 10" electric brakes.

If its under the 750kg by a safe margin, and you dont plan on 4wding up hills and down then fit a set of eye to eye shackle springs to suit the weight. (ALKO are good). All box trailers are over sprung to deal with a maximum load (gravel for landscaping etc) so you need to set it up for the new application (a less variable CT weight).

The 50mm ball hitch will be fine provided you are not 4wding up hills and down where articulation is an issue.

My 2c is that if you are going to modify it more than just a simple set of springs you may as well sell it and get one to suit (even second hand once again).

kdalton

trailer

thanks for that stupid flanders.i wont be 4wd up and down hills.i will be doing a few dirt roads that is it really.and I don't think I will be towing over 750kg but I will get it all weigh.so do I really need stronger springs. thanks

Stupid Flanders

Maybe maybe not. Won't know till you weigh it sadly. They are cheap to replace so probably worth it. If you choose to keep the slipper springs they are a simple swap later. You can spring over the axle to give you more height which if it's got 300mm sides you will prob need to to get your tent side height correct.

Unless you use an oztrail camper six tent which suits 300mm sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muzza01

Probably cheaper to buy a second hand camper trailer than modifying a standard 6X4 trailer into an offroad camper trailer. There are some real bargains out there. By the time you purchase new axle, springs, hitch, tent and all of the modifications it would work out better and cheaper to buy one.

Stupid Flanders

Probably cheaper to buy a second hand camper trailer than modifying a standard 6X4 trailer into an offroad camper trailer. There are some real bargains out there. By the time you purchase new axle, springs, hitch, tent and all of the modifications it would work out better and cheaper to buy one.

I agree muzza.

Not so long ago I sold my 8 x 5 box trailer for about 65% of new value. Had em phoning non stop to buy it.

kdalton

trailer

thanks stupid flanders .this is all new to me so if I over spring my axles.you know put the springs on top of the axles.how much more height will I get..the width of my axles.hey just a beginner. cheers

Jennifer.Cowman

Maybe maybe not. Won't know till you weigh it sadly. They are cheap to replace so probably worth it. If you choose to keep the slipper springs they are a simple swap later. You can spring over the axle to give you more height which if it's got 300mm sides you will prob need to to get your tent side height correct.

Unless you use an oztrail camper six tent which suits 300mm sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I tried it with my ox trail 6 turn axle to make it higher tent floor wouldn’t touch the ground and nearly ripped so put it back the right way tent on top of 6x4box trailer