Trailer tires - for rego

Warby

Hey folks,

I have an unregistered trailer I picked up for a good price a while back, which I need to put new rims & tires on as the last item (i think) to register it. The wheels on it at the moment are very obviously badly rusted & painted over, with mismatched tire sizes.

Quick question though.... the original compliance plate on the trailer says 165 tires, any profile and 14" rims. I have found some cheap 175/65R14 tires on wheels which all look to be in good condition. Would these be acceptable for registration in WA, or is it likely they'd reject it based on this?

Never registered a trailer before.. no idea really what they look at / how strict they are with anything.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

peterfermtech

Well in Victoria you need to comply with the current legislation and I would expect that would be the same in WA so you would need to look up the current regs. I'm sure that you will need to know the load rating on the tyres rather than just the tyre width.
I got caught out when I forgot to re register my trailer. The serial number needed to be stamped on the chassis and not on the compliance plate as was the case when I built it. I think the inspector may have had a deal going with a mechanic around the corner. ;)

Hoyks

I took my own letter/number stamps and a dirty great hammer.

It depends on how enthusiastic the inspectors are.
I rebuilt a 6x4 trailer on 14" HQ Holden rims in Qld and took it into the Transport Dept to get inspected. They went over it with a fine tooth comb and a tape measure, noting down all the dimensions, tyre sizes, everything.

Several years later I moved to NSW and 'renovated' the home made trailer, basically jacked up the chassis number and number plate and replaced everything under it. It was then a 7x4 on 15" Pajero rims and all the inspector at the garage that filled in the blue slip form did was check the lights worked.

If it is being done as a 'new registration', then buying a new compliance plate from the auto parts store and specifying the new tyre/rim combo might be the go, its only 10mm in tread width, so I'm guessing no one will care or notice.

Make sure it complies with this https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/files/VSB1_JUN2009_V5.1.pdf and you'll be golden.

Warby

Decided to just book in the trailer for the inspection with a view to using it as "punch list" for items needing to be addressed prior to registration. Turned out all it needed was $10 worth of reflectors, which I was able to rectify there and then.

Inspector didn't have any issue at all with the wheels & tires which were on it... Should be registered by COB Monday lol.

I will be replacing the wheels and tires anyway, because I'm not too comfortable with them, but they'll do for now until I find suitable replacements :)

billolga

Decided to just book in the trailer for the inspection with a view to using it as "punch list" for items needing to be addressed prior to registration. Turned out all it needed was $10 worth of reflectors, which I was able to rectify there and then.

Inspector didn't have any issue at all with the wheels & tires which were on it... Should be registered by COB Monday lol.

I will be replacing the wheels and tires anyway, because I'm not too comfortable with them, but they'll do for now until I find suitable replacements :)
The trouble with my Pop Trailer over it's 22 years has been tyres.
Yeh they look fine as far as tread etc, except age is the problem & over the years I have had three blow (Two on one trip) on me for that reason.
So last time that happened I changed the lot.

old parthy

When i did the 1st Rego on my DIY camper last Dec I made sure that it was 6 stud hubs and used my old just legal muddies (12 months old).... that way i knew i wasn't going to have any problems later on.

Corndoggy

Stupid thing with stamping a number on it is when you repaint it the number is gone never to be seen again. I stamped mine so have an idea where it is but to see it I'd have to rub all the paint back off with sandpaper.