trailer socket installation

Oosti

Hi,
I recently installed a towbar on my d22 nissan navara 2010 2.5L, and am looking to install a trailer socket.
How would I go about doing it? Is it simple enough to do DIY? I cant seem to find a harness for my ute. Any suggestions? I want to try save some money instead of paying someone else to do it.
Thanks!
Oosti

Tink

Regards a harness, have you asked a Nissan dealer? If no harness, installation will involve splicing into the wiring for a tail light. Cable and plugs are available from places like SCA and Repco. Google NARVA and they have wiring diagrams. Good luck.
Tink

Ditch

Not a difficult job to do yourself. Grab a couple of meters of 7 core wire & a trailer socket. Also need at least 5 Quick Splice Connectors
Find the wiring harness that runs to the taillights at the rear & splice 7 core into it using the Narva guide.

2010 D22 Taillight Wiring.
RearlightWiringDiagram-1.jpg

Lg - Light Green
W/B - White/Brown Stripe
B/W - Blue/White Stripe - Ground
Br - Brown
B - Black

Narva Socket Wiring.
7 pin flat plug and socket.jpg

Should end up like this.
Lg - Light Green. Splice to green & attach to pin 4 on socket.
W/B - White/Brown Stripe. Splice to Red & attach to pin 6
B/W - Blue/White Stripe - Ground. Splice to White & attach to pin 3
Br - Brown. Splice to Brown & attach to pin 7
B - Black. Splice to Yellow & attach to pin 1

Hope this helps.

Batts88

Best way to do it is solder wires in you get a much better area of contact do you have a soldiering iron, 12v test light, decent quality electrical tape and some knowledge of what to do or a mate to help.

Last edited:

typhoeus

Yes solder and shrink tube is a permanent job. There is nothing worse than hooking up the trailer 6 months later and then trying to diagnose a wiring fault at night because water has got into a joint somewhere.

Hoyks

And stick the plug on top of the tow bar.

I see a lot that have been bolted to the under side of the bar (often where there is also a bracket to bolt it onto) that have been ripped off, crushed or the wires pulled out by a rock step or a log. The new 12 pin plugs are bad for it because they are so chunky, also expensive to replace.

Loz666

And stick the plug on top of the tow bar.

I see a lot that have been bolted to the under side of the bar (often where there is also a bracket to bolt it onto) that have been ripped off, crushed or the wires pulled out by a rock step or a log. The new 12 pin plugs are bad for it because they are so chunky, also expensive to replace.
Too true. Just this weekend I accidentally scraped the thing off, taking the bolts through the plastic bumper it used to be fixed to :oops:. Luckily the wiring bit just came unclipped so I just reattached it to the towbar mount (long since bent upwards above the hitch). All good. Another couple of degrees of departure angle achieved :). Quote of the day: Holds up plug - Is this part of your car?!? LOL.