Trailblazer towing issues

Beato

Good evening all,
I have recently purchased a Trailblazer and am having some issues when towing, the first issue is vibration. I am getting a large amount of vibration in the car and trailer enough to see the trailer posts vibrating in the rear view mirror, the trailer i have had for a many years and use to tow it with a Patrol and a Hyundai I40 with no issues. i only towed with the patrol a few days ago and no vibration.

The second issue is towing the trailer with now load, the car seems to be surging/jerking on and off very quickly at speeds around 50-70 km/Hr, i no next to nothing about cars but could this be a problem with the torque converter being on a tipping point where it is changing due to load.

The trailer is braked and i have tried turning it on'off and changing the sensitivity with no effect. Will try the car with another Trailer soon.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Will contact Holden on Monday to see what they have to say.

Tink

The vibration issue is interesting. Be good to test with a different trailer and see if the problem still occurs.
The surging is maybe the auto's programming. The Isuzu MUX had a similar issue early in its release which they solved with a dealer reprogramme which held 4th gear a bit longer. Maybe worth checking if there is a service bulletin out for your model.
Tink

Beato

Cheers guys, i was watching the revs when it was happening and it was holding about 1800 revs and didn't notice a gear change. Not saying this is the problem but the feeling was like the brakes where softly on and off very quickly.

oldlux

Get the dealer to sit in the passenger seat and take him for a ride and see what he has to say about it.

smitty_r51

Just a thought. Has it got sway assist our similar that is kicking in because it things the trailer is moving?

SomeCant

the trailblazer has a trailer sway control as a part of its safety system, it might be that kicking in causing the vibration or the feeling its applying the brakes.
see if there is a way to disable that like you can disable TC and ESP and give it a test or talk to the dealer and see if they can test the sway control.

as for the auto hunting gears it will do that sometimes.
when towing heavy loads like 2T you want to use active select and make 5th gear the top gear you use avoid using 6th

Beato

Cheers Guys, had a flick thru the manual this morning probably should have done that earlier but who reads instructions. It does have Trailer sway control and can be turned off by either turning off the Traction control system or the Electronic stability control. I'll hook the trailer up this weekend and give this ago. Will report back.

Cheers again.