tracks around newcastle and central coast area

Hi Adam L what's the California track like? I'm not a beginner just mainly beach driving some bush tracks. Just trying to find some tracks around the singleton/Newcastle area.
Hey Alex it's pretty easy the fun part is short near the Bulga entrance. If you want something with mud and ruts etc.. The lemon tree road in the Watagans is pretty full on... I thought so anyways... I am a beginner but. We went just after rain last weekend so it was kinda treacherous. But it is scenic and challenging. I couldn't complete it as some of the puddles were bring a mate with a winch kinda Territory. However there were fresh tyre marks going beyond where I got to. Just watch the lantana and the pin stripes if that matters to you.

Lemon tree is closed , and for a good reason.
Its not the sort of place to learn how to fourby.
At least once a month on the rescue pages , someone gets stuck there and wants people to go and help them.
It usually ends with 3 or 4 busted trucks needing recovering.
You should learn quickly that that theres more to do with a 4by than find the slipperiest clay known to man , and drive into a hole in the middle of it
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Watagans-National-Park/Local-alerts

Hey Alex it's pretty easy the fun part is short near the Bulga entrance. If you want something with mud and ruts etc.. The lemon tree road in the Watagans is pretty full on... I thought so anyways... I am a beginner but. We went just after rain last weekend so it was kinda treacherous. But it is scenic and challenging. I couldn't complete it as some of the puddles were bring a mate with a winch kinda Territory. However there were fresh tyre marks going beyond where I got to. Just watch the lantana and the pin stripes if that matters to you.

Agreed that there is more to it. I am still getting a feel for it and am well aware there is more to it. It is fun to learn all facets of the sport and it is a new tool so I do wanna explore both its and my limits. I do not think I am reckless. As for it being closed the gate was wide open at the top end. I am glad I had the nouse to turn around when I did. Like I said there were fresh tracks beyond where I aborted.
Lemon tree is closed , and for a good reason.
Its not the sort of place to learn how to fourby.
At least once a month on the rescue pages , someone gets stuck there and wants people to go and help them.
It usually ends with 3 or 4 busted trucks needing recovering.
You should learn quickly that that theres more to do with a 4by than find the slipperiest clay known to man , and drive into a hole in the middle of it
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Watagans-National-Park/Local-alerts
Thanks for the link. Will use it in future.

Last edited:
Hi all,
This seems like a bit of and old discussion but is anyone still around on it?
If so i'd be keen to go for a run to any local newcastle spot with someone. I'm new to newcastle and have done a little bit of 4wding back in Canberra (my home town) but i'm keen to learn and get out in my car more.
I drive a 1997 triton thats basically unmodified so nothing too mental. However i've got a basic recovery kit that needs some more use...
Shoot me a message on this or call/text me on 0410791579
Cheers,
Max
20190214_151050.jpg

03hilux

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi all,
This seems like a bit of and old discussion but is anyone still around on it?
If so i'd be keen to go for a run to any local newcastle spot with someone. I'm new to newcastle and have done a little bit of 4wding back in Canberra (my home town) but i'm keen to learn and get out in my car more.
I drive a 1997 triton thats basically unmodified so nothing too mental. However i've got a basic recovery kit that needs some more use...
Shoot me a message on this or call/text me on 0410791579
Cheers,
Max
View attachment 59529
Check out the trip section. There is a stockton run on the 31st of March