Track conditions NSW

Fox Shooter

Guys I was wondering if anyone can give the heads up on some tracks in NSW.

Kowmung River Trail its located in the Kananga-Boyd National Park
The Range Trail ( or continue allong )- Limeburners Trail Blue Moutains national Park

Planning of seeing the Wombeyan Caves then follow the range trail - limeburners trail then onto Oberon-Colong stock route to Yerranderie. Then from Yerranderie oberon-colong stock route to kowmung river trail onto the kanangra walls road up to Jenolan Caves.

patrol has 2" lift double diff locks, winch, snorkel, 33" cooper st's etc etc but will be towing a off road camper ( far and wide campers ).
Are these tracks possible or best to avoid with a camper.

Rossco

rabs

caves trip

Hey Fox, as far as I know you are not allowed trailers along limeburners, have a look at Boiling billy website and download track

cheers

Rabs

Manfred Otto

Hi Rossco

This used to be a really nice loop, however Limeburners is now closed from what I hear.

Camper Trailers should be ok if there is no rain as your way in and out of Dingo Dell is quite steep. It's certainly worth the trip but take your wollies it is freezing there in winter.

Enjoy

Manfred

Stilllookin

Hi there
Have you checked the NPWS website under the Blue Mountains section. Under closures it claims that Limeburners is closed for rehabilitation until further notice (so for how long, who knows).
I am glad you asked the question as we were going to head down there for an overnighter shortly.

Last time we were down there was a couple of years ago and the tracks in from either end were in fairly good condition so it surprised us to read this on the NPWS site.

As for the Kowmung trail we can't comment as it was the same time as when we went to Limeburners but it was okay then so there is no reason to believe there are any problems there, perhaps others would have more info.

Hope that helps.

Stilllookin

rabs

nsw tracks

It would be interesting to find out if limeburners is closed as we were hoping to run a trip down there

cheers

Rabs

Tats

Hi Fox, try some of the trails in Jenolan State Forest. I haven't been there for a while but they used to be . . .eh . . . "exciting" to say the least, especially in winter when there is the likelihood of a little ice on the ground. Also up behind Dingo Dell is Mt Cockerell, relatively easy, but nice. You can also try south in the Yalwal area, Ettrema Gorge, the Danjera track. Try just exploring, sometimes innocent looking roads can turn "nasty" :)eek:yeah!!). Also Sunny Corner (if it is still open) provided some interest in the past, but with the NPWS lurking, who knows?. Try also some of the State forests around Bell.
TATS:cool:

grit

Kowmung River is very low (easy). Dingo Dell is a little steep, otherwise fine. Limeburners is definitely closed. Sunny Corner is open but its out Bathurst way from Oberon.
Abercrombie River Park is much closer but not suitable for towing (esp. in winter) from the Felled Timber Entrance. Dont attempt ""Little Bald Hill"" with trailer or in wet weather.
Hope this is useful and I'm sure your trip will be enjoyable. Rug up - it's freezing out there!

Paul100

Hi Tats - you'll find Ettrema Gorge track has been down for a while now due to the classification of 'Ettrema Wilderness Area'.
Sunny Corner is still open - but the big question mark soon is the Mt.Walker area now that N/Parks have been given a chunk of it :eek:

Limeburners Track is still currently closed by N/Parks for regeneration & to weed out the hoons [that's their words] but is planned to open again soon. 4WDNSW-ACT to report on progress soon.

You can still camp at the N/Parks camp ground at Dingo Dell [which ain't what it used to be] but the new camp ground on private property to be open reasonably soon is for affiliated clubs of 4WDNSW-ACT/A.N.F.W.D.C & will be one club at a time for access.

I'm off to Jenolan State Forest & the Spanish Steps this weekend so can give an update on these areas when I return.

Regards Paul

PS - Also the road down from Kanangra to Jenolan Caves can be closed for one way traffic from around 1pm for a few hours [check with the Caves info first]

Tats

Our hopes are wild imaginings, our schemes are airy castles

Yeah Hi Paul, it seems to me that the NPWS is like a cancer eating up everything in its way:eek:mad:. I remember the trials and tribulations of the '80s and 90's, and the fear of loss that was generated by what we envisaged the NPWS (w)could do. I recall a trip I was involved in at Sunny Corner with a convoy of about 14 vehicles. A NPWS Ranger drove his Tojo ute frantically through the bush, knocking over saplings and damaging the undergrowth so that he could get around us and erect a gate to stop us travelling any further. He was wild eyed and rude when we confronted him about the damage he'd caused to the bush, when all he had to do was stop our tail-end charlie and ask him to relay a message to the trip leader not to proceed any further. We were well equipped with CB radios in every vehicle. The track was very narrow and we had to reverse the entire convoy back quite a distance before we could turn around:(. It appears that nothing has improved over the years. where I live is a lot of State forest, and those guys are so helpful and obliging - more power to them.:)

Tats:cool:

grit

This photo was taken on 12th July 2008 on the road out to kanangra Walls

452096_DSC00625.jpg

Tats

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh b****y dear! I don't think I'm too far wrong with my assessment of the NPWS, they are like a cancerous growth, and just another money making concern for our impotent State government. Why don't they just leave things as they are . . . and free? Generations of people have enjoyed that area and others, and were not concerned with spoofy camping areas and the like, being more prepared to bush camp; they were even happy to do their own track maintenance. I can remember being ticked off by a ranger in the Blue Mountains NP way back in the '70s, when as a then Scout Leader I took a patrol bush camping in the area. That was a no no I was told, I must use the area provided. The trouble was did the other campers really want a dozen 12 y.o. whoopying around the area as they played night games such as "murder in the dark", etc. Seems things have only become more restrictive.:mad::mad::mad:

Incidently, Grit, thank for the pix, it looks too cold for me, but then I've been spoilt over recent years. How is Yerranderie these days, is "private town" still attractive and "public town" still a mess?

Tats:cool:

Paul100

Yerranderie is going along fine - as far as I know. [well last year anyway]

4WDNSW-ACT is in contact at the moment with National Sparks & Wildfies regarding new MOU's - now this is a good thing if it turns out the way we would like it.

You don't need to pay visitor fees at N/Parks if you have your Multi-Parks Pass.
The main problem I see is N/Parks get so much land off the goverment - but they get no incease in manpower or fees to keep things open &/or running [well that's what most Rangers complain about - if you get a good Ranger to talk to - the agree that we should be keeping the trails open for all to use & mantain fire vehicle access etc !]
But yep - greenies are greenies as well !

I'll be up the Mountains this weekend :cool:

Tats

The Critical Parent?

Yeah Paul, maybe I am too critical. I'm no longer a member of a 4wd club, but was for about 15 years; with the exception of the first year I spent the whole lot in office - sergeant-at-arms, president, driver trainer, magazine editor, and multiple trip leader. I headed the team that set up the 1986 Jamboree at the Colo River, and attended many more, and was involved with 2 mates in setting up and starting the original Cross Country Vehicle Trials held at Riverwood Downs (no special purpose vehicles involved then, just standard and minimally modified). I experienced some of the fights with the Carr government, and occasionally run foul of the opposition's Minister for the Environment when they came to power. Some of this eventually rubs off and you begin to not believe what the pundits tell you. Things were much better when the only 4wd's available were WW2 Jeeps, Land Rovers, and the occasional G60 or International Harvester. Only the "real" four wheel drivers were out and about then, and one hardly ever met another on the trail, because these vehicles were too uncomfortable and agricultural for most people. I actually fitted Fiat sports seats to my swb Landrover so that SWMBO would grace me with her presence. No problems with NPs or SRAs, they were few and far between, although I still remember the sour-faced "person" at the Royal entrance challenging the validity of my journey to Stanwell Park, because, I was warned, if I stayed in the Royal I had to pay!! I suppose I should heed these words of Adam Lindsay Gordon: "Question not, but live and labour till yon goal be won".

Tats:(

Fox Shooter

Howdy one and all we are back

Well just got back from my 3 week NSW holidays with the hard floor camper we hired from far and wide campers in Melbourne.
Our first stop over night was at Yass carvan park and this was our first time setting up the camper total time including getting a chair out and some scotch / coke less than 2 minute's. The next morning all packed up ( less than 5 minute's ) we'll where our way to the Wombeyan Caves for a few nights and cave touring. What a fantastic site not a sole around, the last night it got down to -9 :eek: everything froze including the toilets.
Then it was onto Sydney ( oh what fun ) we ended up doing the bridge climb which was good even though it was raining, and also stayed at Toronga Zoo over night ( roar and snore ) which was good as well.
Now we're off to Katoomba did all the touristy stuff scenic world, three sisters etc etc. On the road again to Lithgow ( howling winds ). But stayed 3 nights seeing zig zag railway, glow worm tunnel, Newnes ( the old commonwealth shale oil mining ), Blast Furnace park and Lithgow Small Arms Museum. We did a little bit of 4wdriving around Lithgow. Did a day drive to Bathurst took the patrol around the mountain :D.
On to Oberon went to Jonalan caves and did adventure caving a bit of abseiling to get in the cave then a lot of crawling ( yes I got stuck twice :) ). Went to Kanagra walls what a fantastic part of the blue mountains did a bit of hiking around there.
Then down the Kowmung fire trail and off to Yerranderie found the fire tail easy only a couple parts where slippery. This was mostly around the down hill to the Kowmung river with the red clay a bit wet in parts and the trailer pushing on the back but no problems. The climb out was easy and the river ( great campimng spot ) was low we went through Dingo Dell this looks like a good place to camp also. Looks like a fair amount of work as gone into this sight so lets hope it stays open. Once we arrived in Yerranderie we had the whole place to ourselve's, Scott the care taker took us around the buildings and a bit of a tour. Next day the missus stayed by the fire relaxing and reading a book while I went exploring the old mine sights. Now it was getting time for us to head back home we left Yerranderie and headed down the Range Fire trail very easy to Jerong Rd to Goulburn, Yass then home.
There are plenty of pic's when we get then sorted I'll post some.
Rossco

Paul100

Hi All

I'm not long back from our Lithgow districts this weekend.
We did - Jenolan S.F, Mt.Walker, Gardens of Stone & Spanish Steps.

All the tracks were in the normal condition that you'll expect them to be in :)

Cheers Paul

We got snow around the Bungleboori area - here's some snow pic's

Attachments

• Photos 111 (Small).jpg
    Photos 111 (Small).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Photos 113 (Small).jpg
    Photos 113 (Small).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 145

Tats

Yeah!

Strike me lucky! You blokes haven't any blood in your veins, it's either ice or Inner circle Rum, that's all that'll survive in those conditions. Could never really understand how folks can go to the snow country for a holiday - me, just give me warm balmy days, and soft fuzzy nights under the stars. Has anyone ever laid on their back and looked up at the night sky? You'll be amazed at the space junk that's whizzin' around in all directions. Of course, you have to get out away from the cities to see it. Take your "charlie" along, the results can be the same as looking for luminous ducks on Cronulla Beach!.:D:D:D

Tats:cool:;):cool: