Change background image

Toyota's electronic gremlins

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Zamunda, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

I just read the below article in the Pat Callinan magazine about the Toyota 2.8L 1GD-FTV motor (now in Hilux, Prado and Fortuner) going into limp-mode due to dust getting through the filter.

Toyota's response (from the article) - Toyota Australia further went on to say, “as the vehicle is subject to reduced engine power (‘limp mode’) and can continue to be operated safely, it is not a safety related item that would require a recall.”

Toyota has gone further on to say that the problem is caused by very fine dust which "in their opinion" cannot cause harm to the engine. Wonder if they will say the same after several years of use and the warranty period has ended.

Seems Toyota (like all the other brands) don't seem to live in the real world. Imagine this happening in the middle of the outback, or whilst overtaking.

https://mr4x4.com.au/toyota-1gd-ftv-bites-dust/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Toyota+s+2+8-litre+diesel+dust+problem&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+#217

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if it actually happens in the real world and just just during journalist abuse
    Not the first car to have maf sensor issues, almost need to be a service item to give it a quick clean with can of MAF/Electronics cleaner

Mr Rum likes this.
  3. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

It had happened to the Mr4x4 team. Here is an excerpt from their article...
    "Recently we did a six-vehicle comparison test in the outback of South Australia in Unsealed 4X4, pitting a bunch of current dual-cab utes against one another. During the testing, the HiLux Rugged X test vehicle’s 1GD-FTV dropped into ‘limp mode’ four times due to dust ingress."

4. mac_man_luke

Yea but they are journalists that want to make a story, often hard on equipment and dont perform any maintenance eg what state was the air filter in?

Bomber2012 likes this.
  5. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

Not sure about that.
    In fairness to the journos, in the comparison test, they actually ranked the Lux second marginally below the Ranger.

Many years ago (back in Africa) I had a Discovery which was a nightmare of electronic issues. The worst of tracks I ever did was corrugations. Every time I went to the dealer their response was "excessive off road use". This was despite their then advertising campaign "best 4x4 by far." Eventually switched brands.

6. mac_man_luke

2.8 has been out a while now and no other reports of it? i dont doubt its a possibility but really need more than once source to see if something is true

Mr Rum and Beever like this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

Why is this an Electronic Gremlin - it is mechanical - fine dust getting in being detected and the "electronic" gizmo advising there is an issue. Without the "electronic gremlin" advising the driver that there is an issue via going into limp mode you would never know there was a problem and keep driving with possible major damage to the engine.

People blame "electronic gremlins" when 90% of the time they are just a communication means to advise of a mechanical issue. Rarely do the electronics themselves play up these days. Dont shoot the electronic messenger.

Mr Rum and cam04 like this.
  8. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

So let me get this right. It is not an electronic issue, is just the crap air filtering system and should be recalled to install a better filter system or fix the crap filter system.Doh! :rolleyes:.

Mr Rum likes this.
  9. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

Agree, the limp mode is a side affect of another mechanical issue. In reality something like this may or may not end up as a recall - recalls are mainly targeted at safety issues. Depending on how many are actually suffering the same issue out in the real world would depend on if they deem it a significant safety issue to justify a recall. A handful of vehicles playing up isn't an issue - the electronic systems are doing what they are programmed to do and thats protect the engine from damage. I'm not sure how other manufacturers limp mode cuts in, but my Disco its just a sudden reduction in power so Im sure there are better ways to program the limp mode to cut in progressivly if they really wanted to do it

10. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

So let me get this right ;)

Toyotas crap air intake system let's fine dust in one end causing engine issues while the crap DPF system belches heaps of white smoke out the other.....:eek::eek:

cam04, phs and rogerazz like this.
  11. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Well-Known Member

Yeah imagine of it was another brand with these issues. People wouldn't be so quick to defend it.

mikehzz, abw and Swaggie like this.
  12. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

I drive a Toyota and I like them. However, I also believe that no matter what make, if it does wrong, then can it.
    I also don't like it when some people defend a make because they drive it.
    I have driven a lot of cars over the past sixty years and I will put sh*t on any car if I reckon it deserves it.:).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what brand the car is, be it a Lamborghini or a great wall, the car should drive as it is meant to - when you can't drive a new $50k+ 4x4 on a dusty road, that is nothing more than a rip off ........ As for Toyota's "very fine dust won't hurt the motor" BS, I wonder how the general manager would like a handful of bulldust thrown in his motor ?

Beever likes this.
  14. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Plenty of reports
    DPF is a huge issue

Timing chain assembly is an issue a fair few blown motors as a result. We Have not had this issue but plenty have

As for dust yup we got dust and to be honest it has seen very little car following I'd believe this artical as on a Std touring trip you would see heaps

Fine dust won't damage a motor ?????
    Were all those 200s letting rocks in were they

It's BS dust is dust if you can see it, it's an issue

Honestly how hard is it to make an airbox m
    This is an embarrassment

cam04, Swaggie, Beever and 1 other person like this.
  15. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I know there unbreakable going over a cliff :p;) but they have to be reliable enough to get there first...

I have been a Toyota fan for as long as I can remember and I know each Manufacturer has there issues, but with ALL the competition around these days I don't like the direction this one is heading in personally.

rogerazz and BlueCollie like this.
  16. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.................

17. 2luxes

2luxes Active Member

All air filters have holes in them so air can pass through. These holes will stop dust particles down to a certain size. Anything smaller will pass through and into the engine but it will have been designed to work with it.

I have had enough experience handling Toyota warranty claims to know when something really is wrong they take action quickly to fix it. If they are not concerned about this dust problem then the engine must be working within its design limits.

18. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

Thats why it went in to limp mode - Toyota might be happy but the 'electronic gremlin' that lives in the ECU isn't.

mikehzz and Swaggie like this.
  19. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

with a 1HZ limp mode is constant lol, but at least it doesn't beep all the bloody time like the wife's car.

Mr Rum likes this.
  20. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

DPF