Toyota vs Donaldson Snorkel Head

sHughbaru

Hello!

Deciding between a Toyota Head like a 70 series or a Donaldson Pre-Cleaner

1637747160015.png
1637747381829.png

Which one cleans better, and which one allows better intake airflow?

2luxes

The Toyota one will work but the Donaldson may not depending on how you use it.

I installed a Donaldson on a Safari snorkle on my Hilux about twelve years ago. I used to live a few minutes drive from their head office at Wyong NSW so I called in to discuss it with them.

They said the only street pre cleaners they make are for heavy truck's. The type in your photo are for stationary engines. If you put one on a car, the air passing under them has to change direction through 90 degrees to get up into them. This will starve the engine of air, particularly at street speeds.

I solved the problem by making a forward facing steel/aluminium intake resembling a pea whistle. It sat on the top of the snorkle with the pre cleaner on top of it. The air now comes straight into it then swirls around and goes up through the angled vanes in the bottom of the cleaner then into the engine.

The amount of dust it collects is amazing, even in prolonged suburban driving.

I suggest you contact Donaldson before you decide to use one.

dabbler

That style of precleaner is used on agricultural and earthmoving machinery. Not sure why Donaldson would suggest it's only for stationary engines.

I have one for my Hilux when I'm on busier unsealed roads and never use it at highway speeds on sealed roads. You need one that is sized to allow the correct air flow your motor.

FWIW, I think the easy clean cyclonic snorkel head are a far better option than a snorkel sock.

CTL

The type in your photo are for stationary engines. If you put one on a car, the air passing under them has to change direction through 90 degrees to get up into them. This will starve the engine of air, particularly at street speeds.

I am thinking that on a modern turbo diesel that would not apply. The turbo would suck/push all the air the engine needed.

sHughbaru

I solved the problem by making a forward facing steel/aluminium intake resembling a pea whistle. It sat on the top of the snorkle with the pre cleaner on top of it. The air now comes straight into it then swirls around and goes up through the angled vanes in the bottom of the cleaner then into the engine.
Thanks! This sounds like a good solution, especially since I have heard from people who run them that at street speeds the make a irritating sucking sound.

Given the Toyota one and the Donaldson use the same cyclonic process, surely they would be fine for the engine given that Toyota has been making them for decades?

2luxes

Given the Toyota one and the Donaldson use the same cyclonic process, surely they would be fine for the engine given that Toyota has been making them for decades?
You may be right but it only takes a phone call to Donaldson to be sure.

2luxes

That style of precleaner is used on agricultural and earthmoving machinery. Not sure why Donaldson would suggest it's only for stationary engines.

Some of those machines are far from being slow when they are out on the road. I live in a rural area and see plenty of them. Maybe that is why Donaldson said stationary only.

sHughbaru

Just got off the phone with Donaldson, that style of precleaner works as long as you are below 70kmph.
For future reference
- calculate the cfm of your engine
- then find precleaner closest matching for your snorkel size

The H001249 was the right size for mine

2luxes

Just got off the phone with Donaldson, that style of precleaner works as long as you are below 70kmph.

Had they told me that I would still have made my own intake under the pre cleaner. I doubt if I have ever driven over 70 on any unsealed road but I am usually up around 80 to 90 on good sealed roads including freeways.