toyota prado 90 series 1998

teza h

toyota prado 90 series, 1998

Good Points
size is good,can manouver in tite spots, great steering lock for a wagon,off road ability is good with some exter ground clearance,fuel econemy is ok ,you can get just about any mods for this model and it is still nice to drive down the road. Oh yeh, it also has 159 ltr fuel tanks, stock standard.

Bad Points
not to many bad points, the V6 could us a bit more power.

What mods have you done?
2"lift,8"suny's with 32" BFG mudy's bars,spoty's, poly air bags, uhf raidio duel bateries waco fridge twin draws in the back with kitchen set up,roof top tent and awning,all ready to go.

What mods are on the list to do?
Got a 9000lb warn winch that i must fit.

Why did you buy this vehicle?
medium size, not to bad on fuel, and it's a Toyota.

How often do you go offroad?
evrey few weeks if posible.

What will your next vehicle be?

Just thourt I'd throw in the Pradi,did'nt see any on here.
Got to be TOYOTA.

?
871773_IMGP0564.jpg

Last edited:

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great Rig the Prado

I've got a 2002 model stock as a rock and still goes 95% of the places the big boys go.

love the work you have done

teza h

The after market coils keep it nice n stiff on a side slope and cornering,but you do have to watch low hanging stuff.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great 4by, I have the 1998 Grande and it goes well. A supercharger would help the power. Best fuel use is low 12KM/100L

teza h

Yeh thanks mate! Thats not bad on fuel,carying a bit of weight on mine I get around 14 but if I boot it along it can be 17 eazy. Still better than the last rig with a 350 Chevy never did better than 20.ha!

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I found the Bosch Platinum plugs work better and heaps cheaper than the NGK. That improved the power and economy. The cleaning of the MAS helped also. City driving economy is poor but that is expected

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Installed them about 15,000KM ago and they are good for 60,000KM. I will change them around 40,000KM. The MAS is the Air Flow sensor which is just outside the air-cleaner box between the cleaner and engine. There is a MAS cleaner you can purchase from Repco. If it gets diry the reading will be off and poor power and economy is the result.

teza h

I'v actualy had the MAS off and it looked cleen ok, the plugs have done about 50.000 so they'd be ready. I'v never done em on the V6, looks like a bit of an operation to get to em.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The MAS sensor may look clean but any oil/dirt will cause a problem. It is recommended to clean every 40,000KM and maybe sooner if in a dirty environment.

The plugs at 50,000KM for the standard Toyota NGK will be shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 288

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The plug replacement requires to undo some pipe and move things around. I did mine for the 1st time and took less than an hour. You will need the plug removal tool which should be in the bag with you jack.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The Bosch premium plugs are longer than the NGK and has a standard hook plug but the 6 plugs cost me less than $38 where the NGK are over $80 for 6. Bosch said they are safe and have run them now for 15,000KM without any issues.

Bosch Platinum’s (FR8HPX)

teza h

Well just finished puting in the new Bosch plugs, so glad I did, the midle R H plug was loos, not even finger tite, I'l take it for a run on the weekend.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Expect you will notice more power and economy will improve. With the loose plugs it can blow them out and you need to get the head repair. I had that happen in the warranty period. I had drive from Brisbane and just passed Gosford when the plug blow out and screwed up the engine. Was back on the road 2 days later.