Toyota or Nissan

Traveller

some intersting responses i should have gone a bit more into detail.
i`m looking at dual cab 3ltr diesel i dont do any hard core 4wd but through the winter months i`m up in the victorian high country chasing deer and as you know that country is very tough on any 4wd.I plan to purchase the truck then upgrade suspension etc to improve the ride.hope this is a bit more info
cheers
carbs

Narrows it done just nicely:D.
I don't have either, but a mate runs a newish Hi-lux, 3ltr turbo dual cab, good bit of gear!
He has a small lift(40-50mm), decent tyres and while he has only done a few trips since
buying it he is very happy with it. I would probably get one if looking at dual cabs.
Jok

rodw

some intersting responses i should have gone a bit more into detail.
i`m looking at dual cab 3ltr diesel i dont do any hard core 4wd but through the winter months i`m up in the victorian high country chasing deer and as you know that country is very tough on any 4wd.I plan to purchase the truck then upgrade suspension etc to improve the ride.hope this is a bit more info
cheers
carbs

Go the Hilux mate, The Navara is simply not in the same class if you are going offroad. The Navara diffs break easilly, their warranty support on broken diffs is not as good, their factory side rails are flimsy and tear off and if your towball weight exceeds 80 kg, you have to reduce the load in the vehicle on a kilo for kilo basis. Don't bother with the SR5 and get the SR auto dual cab and you will have power windows and cruise control. The rest of the features are just bling.

I have driven a lot of vehicles in my day and have been an ardent nissan supporter in the past, and this is my first Toyota. It won't be my last!

kiwijaz

I completly agree with rod on the Navara mine is not even 12 mths old and already been though one Diff and had a fight to get that fixed. On the point of the side rails/steps i have yet to rip mine off yet they are a fair bit buckled but still sturdy. Maybe they are stronger now on the new ones than they were on the 3lt model. This will be the first and last time i buy a Navara.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
WELL YOU ALL SHOULD KNOW MY OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT

858637_GlasshouseMtns002.jpg

504917_GlasshouseMtns026.jpg

TOYOTA OF COURSE

rodw

Hmm, Interesting Mark,. Seems that the Toyota IFS trucks really are affected by limited wheel travel off road in that shot.... not... :D;)

How on earth did you get that far on a vehicle that others think is not suited to the task?

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hmm, Interesting Mark,. Seems that the Toyota IFS trucks really are affected by limited wheel travel off road in that shot.... not... :D;)

How on earth did you get that far on a vehicle that others think is not suited to the task?

Both obstacles were driven into and through with a small stop for the photo shoot as proof :D;)

Last edited:

croozza

The Prado is one of the most underrated 4wds on the market, most people don't realise or don't want to realise, the ability it has.
I have got my Prado further than alot of my mates Patrols, they poked fun at me first when I got it, but now some of them are going to get one when they upgrade, they just cannot believe how capable they are.

rodw

The Prado is one of the most underrated 4wds on the market, most people don't realise or don't want to realise, the ability it has.
I have got my Prado further than alot of my mates Patrols, they poked fun at me first when I got it, but now some of them are going to get one when they upgrade, they just cannot believe how capable they are.

Crooza, interesting, I am not familiar with the Prado but it does share a lot of stuff like engines, diffs and front ends with the Hilux. I am getting off topic here now. I know the Prado has a coil spring rear. What configuration is this? Do they have it set up to give greater articulationin the rear to offset the lack of articulation in the front end? That's how my Vitara was and it looked like Mark's Prado all the time. eg. Always on 3 wheels!

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
They do have reasonable articulation both front and rear Rod, that is if you could be bothered in dropping the sway bars from both ends. I haven't worried about it to date cuz I seem to go most places everyone else does with lockers. This is of course with exception to the bum puckering stuff like the widowmaker and new hilux hill. I'll leave that stuff for the pros.

croozza

Crooza, interesting, I am not familiar with the Prado but it does share a lot of stuff like engines, diffs and front ends with the Hilux. I am getting off topic here now. I know the Prado has a coil spring rear. What configuration is this? Do they have it set up to give greater articulationin the rear to offset the lack of articulation in the front end? That's how my Vitara was and it looked like Mark's Prado all the time. eg. Always on 3 wheels!

Just look at my avitar, that is with std link pins. No mods except a std 2 inch EFS lift kit
The rear end is a five link set up, just like L'cruiser and Patrol.

brn19

I have a 2006 4x4 SR Hilux single cab that I have had from new and all I've got to say is DON"T BUY A TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It got to 54000 kms and done a throwout bearing. Now only 6000kms later the clutch is playing up on me.

The aircon is playing up which is f***ed because I have to travel alot with my work!!!

You'd think with all of the hype surrounding toyotas and the f***ing price you pay for them you should get a decent vehicle.

I am not the only one I know either that is having these problems (and worse) with these new hiluxes.

That's just my opinion anyway:)

rodw

I have a 2006 4x4 SR Hilux single cab that I have had from new and all I've got to say is DON"T BUY A TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It got to 54000 kms and done a throwout bearing. Now only 6000kms later the clutch is playing up on me.

The aircon is playing up which is f***ed because I have to travel alot with my work!!!

You'd think with all of the hype surrounding toyotas and the f***ing price you pay for them you should get a decent vehicle.

I am not the only one I know either that is having these problems (and worse) with these new hiluxes.

That's just my opinion anyway:)

The Hilux definitely has a reputation for having a weak clutch and the auto is the better gearbox. There was an upgrade on the clutch spec after you bought yours. Are you still in warranty? Take it back if you are or otherwise fit a heavy duty aftermarket clutch.

I'd put the aircon down to bad luck. I took delivery of a car with faulty aircon once. It was winter tme and took a week or so before we woke up!

billolga

4x4 Earth Contributer
I LOVE these NISSAN versus TOYOTA questions - JUST CHECK OUT THE RESULTS of the poles on THIS FORUM!:D NISSAN (OVER 50%) - THAT should get a bite!:rolleyes:

4Runner89

Toyota of course, extremely reliable you just can't kill a hilux, but stay away from the early model 'surf' they had alot of problems with overheating

oznog05

I have an 03 Duel Cab Hilux 30lt TD. I bought it because of its multi- tasking ability. I use it for touring, fishing, camping, hunting, playing and for the homes renovations. When purchasing a new car you need to ask yourself what the three main reason for its use. Set it up, then have fun! Good luck on your searching as you have a hard decision to ahead of you!...he he