Toyota or Nissan

carbs

i`M SURE THIS IS A QUESTION THAT IS ASKED BY EVERYONE.
TOYOTA OR NISSAN?

i`VE DESCIDED TO GET RID OF MY TRINTON AFTER 212,000 KMS the valve stems are gone shocks need replacing the list is endless i guess thats what you get if you use your
4wd.Anyhowi`m looking FOR A NEW 4X4 THE ONLY ISSUE IS I CANT DESCIDE WEHTHER TO GO FOR A TOYOTA OR NISSAN.PRIOR TO PURCHASING MY TRINTON I OWNED A NISSAN PATROL 1988MQ must i say i regreted selling it.
So what advise do you guys have? i`m looking at going diesel not petrol

looking forward to the responses
cheers
carbs

logitech

Toyota.. Simply because the Nissan engines are too unpredictable. I have not heard of toyota engines being called hand grenades.

Plus my own patrol has spent more time in the shop since i bought it than i have drive it. Its currently 16 weeks shop time vs 6 weeks driving time.

Traveller

Very vague question- do you want a ute, dual cab or wagon, 4 or 6 cyl, and what sort of money do you
wish to spend?(a fair bit I guess being a new one!) What type of driving do you intend doing - hardcore, touring, deserts, high country, beach?
Both makers have good and bad points, and a large list of accessories to make up for shortcomings!

Jok

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
You will hear many reasons to buy Toyota or Patrol but it both have good and bad points like Traveller said. Logi has a reason to dislike is Patrol as it is a lemon. Look carefully and decide what you want ths 4by to be used for and then we can point it down to vehicles that will suit

KDA

I had the same problem, my first preference was a dual cab diesel hilux, but simply due to $$$ went for the navara d22 $50,000 for a brand new hilux v's $28,000 for a brand new navara wasnt left with much to think about.

1 red gu

4x4 Earth Contributer
stick with nissan
i use to have a gq monster shorty and got rid of it for moore room so i went up to a sr5 dual cab lux and hated it
i have resently bought a 3.0ltd gu and love it cant go past coils and the 3.0l has plenty of grunt and if it dose grenade like peaple say i will have on problem putting a v8 in it
cheers

rodw

i use to have a gq monster shorty and got rid of it for moore room so i went up to a sr5 dual cab lux and hated it

Can you elaborate on this? What did you hate? I am not a tradie and I reckon the Hilux D4D diesel I have now is the best and most functional car I have ever owned. I love it!

Last edited:

croozza

i`M SURE THIS IS A QUESTION THAT IS ASKED BY EVERYONE.
TOYOTA OR NISSAN?

i`VE DESCIDED TO GET RID OF MY TRINTON AFTER 212,000 KMS the valve stems are gone shocks need replacing the list is endless i guess thats what you get if you use your
4wd.Anyhowi`m looking FOR A NEW 4X4 THE ONLY ISSUE IS I CANT DESCIDE WEHTHER TO GO FOR A TOYOTA OR NISSAN.PRIOR TO PURCHASING MY TRINTON I OWNED A NISSAN PATROL 1988MQ must i say i regreted selling it.
So what advise do you guys have? i`m looking at going diesel not petrol

looking forward to the responses
cheers
carbs

Depends what your going to do with it.
if you want a tourer with awesome off road ability, then you can't go past a Prado or a 76 series, if you want a bash about, then get a Patrol (not 3.0 tlr diesel), if you want a ute then look at a Hilux, if you want a quality vehicle the only look at Toyota, if you want cheap then go Nissan.

Jeeptheone

If I did not have the Jeep I would be driving the Nissan Patrol. I would say go with the Patrol but it is your choise in the end.

JTO

kiwijaz

At the end of the day the choice is really up to you. Take plenty of both Toyota and Nissans for a drive and see what you feel more comfortable in. Are you looking at new or used?? (If new stay away from the D22 Navara's i have had a few probs with mine and the new car warrenty service from nissan is not great, they dont like it if you actually take it off road)

croozza

At the end of the day the choice is really up to you. Take plenty of both Toyota and Nissans for a drive and see what you feel more comfortable in. Are you looking at new or used?? (If new stay away from the D22 Navara's i have had a few probs with mine and the new car warrenty service from nissan is not great, they dont like it if you actually take it off road)

depends on the dealer franchise, some are better than others, if you don't like the way one dealer treats you take it to another, thats what I did with my second car and it worked.

1 red gu

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can you elaborate on this? What did you hate? I am not a tradie and I reckon the Hilux D4D diesel I have now is the best and most functional car I have ever owned. I love it!

i had the 2004 3.6l v6 it was heavy on fuel i hated the ifs in the front, the ride in the rear was average at best i snaped the front axles and mashed the cv's driving on the road befor i even hit the dirt, 1600 dollors later the auto gearbox was not changing in to 3rd properly

i may have just got a lemon but it has put me off, maybe a cruzer would have been beter for me
but in the end it is up to the what you like beter!

rodw

i had the 2004 3.6l v6 it was heavy on fuel i hated the ifs in the front, the ride in the rear was average at best i snaped the front axles and mashed the cv's driving on the road befor i even hit the dirt, 1600 dollors later the auto gearbox was not changing in to 3rd properly

i may have just got a lemon but it has put me off, maybe a cruzer would have been beter for me

Cool, that is a different model to mine. I have a 2007 build and the model change was in about April 2005. I must confess I would not be a fan of torsion bar suspension.

goldrush

A few opinions in this thread but not too many facts.

Fact: I drive a Nissan Patrol. 02 model with 3 ltr turbo diesel and auto.
Fact: I have taken this rig to hell and back and it has never let me down.
Fact: I have a 2" suspension lift and 33" tyres and find the ride quality great.
Fact: Fuel consumption is about 12ltrs/ 100 kms. Good for a big vehicle.
Fact: Off road capabilities of this rig are great.
Fact: I have never owned a Toyota 4x4 so can not comment on personal experience.

Maybe some others can comment on their rigs.

Cheers
Goldrush

Last edited:

croozza

How did you snap the front axle and mash the CV's while driving on the road, as it has a part time 4wd system in it, so there is no power going to the front wheels, was it in 4wd on the road, might explain the gearbox as well, the motor is quite good on fuel, I have the same motor (actually it is a 3.4ltr V6) in my prado with the same gearbox using full time 4wd and I am getting 11-12 ltrs / 100km.

1 red gu

4x4 Earth Contributer
na crooza wasent in 4wd on the road think it had a week spot in the shaft and when it snaped it mashed the cv doin about 100k the mechanic said he never seen it happen befor eather
i ended up putting it on gas for $2500 (got 1000 back) after about 10 months the pistons fried
thats when i sold it

carbs

some intersting responses i should have gone a bit more into detail.
i`m looking at dual cab 3ltr diesel i dont do any hard core 4wd but through the winter months i`m up in the victorian high country chasing deer and as you know that country is very tough on any 4wd.I plan to purchase the truck then upgrade suspension etc to improve the ride.hope this is a bit more info
cheers
carbs