Toyota Hilux LN106R

boris mikilchuck

Lokka in the rear can be a good option, depends on the vehicle. The more weight on the rear wheels, the smoother it will work.
I have one in the rear of my troopy and I hardly notice it, but on a light car it won't disengage as easily.
The LSD does a pretty job in the rear for now and I dont plan to put one of these lockers in the back. I can imagine it would give a lot of problems on the road and a lot of extra stress on the rear diff. yea, exactly mate the ln106 is as light as a feather by 4wd standards which means it would have problems disengage. If I was going to put a locker in the rear I would definately go for an eaton e-locker.

boris mikilchuck

I notice from the pics that the brakes are standard, how do you find them? I upgraded mine to surf 25mm slotted DBA discs, and calipers, big improvement. next is a dual diaphragm booster
Hi Typhoeus,
yes, I am running the standard brakes and I find them absolutely terrible. The brakes are probably the only real weakness on the ln106. I noticed a slight improvement after fitting the steel braded brake lines but still very underpowered. A few weeks ago I was coming down bell bird hill with a full load of firewood in the back and almost s#!t myself, luckily the engine braking compensates for it a little bit but still scary. I have heard of different brake upgrades (80 series master cylinders and pads etc) but it looks like you have done it properly. Do you find that the upgraded brake pads wear quicker than the factory ones?

boris mikilchuck

Alright guys, I think its time I did an update about the latest adventures of the hilux. Early last year @zacistan and myself threw around the idea of a trip to fraiser island in December. Surprisingly this trip eventuated and we ended up spending about 12 days on the island. We got very lucky with the weather and overall the trip was great. The hilux never missed a beat the entire trip and handled both Indian Head and Nagala Rocks with ease despite being all loaded up. Fraiser Island lived up to the hype and I cannot recall having a better holiday. A quick thanks to @Mitchmate for the helpful pre trip advice not to mention the countless blacksmiths beach runs.

boris mikilchuck

P1010424.JPG P1010449.JPG PC220007.JPG PC220014.JPG PC220016.JPG PC220018.JPG PC220019.JPG PC220020.JPG PC220022.JPG PC230023.JPG PC230024.JPG PC230031.JPG PC230033.JPG PC230036.JPG

Mate that's the best looking 106 I've seen, you've done a top job :cool:

I'm not mechanically gifted enough to do all that stuff and my '93 107 is a bit rougher with a few minor body dings from little scrapes out fishing, but she still goes OK. Pretty tiring to drive far on-road (compared to my 2017 Camry anyway), but offroad, it just seems to shit all over stock new 4WDs. Only got 295,000 on the clock, I bought it in 2000 at 156,000. Not sure how the 107 and 106 compare, with their different front axles? The 107 is still a very harsh ride even with the indep front suspension.

Attachments

• HiluxGwydir1_smaller.jpg
    HiluxGwydir1_smaller.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115

boris mikilchuck

Mate that's the best looking 106 I've seen, you've done a top job :cool:

I'm not mechanically gifted enough to do all that stuff and my '93 107 is a bit rougher with a few minor body dings from little scrapes out fishing, but she still goes OK. Pretty tiring to drive far on-road (compared to my 2017 Camry anyway), but offroad, it just seems to shit all over stock new 4WDs. Only got 295,000 on the clock, I bought it in 2000 at 156,000. Not sure how the 107 and 106 compare, with their different front axles? The 107 is still a very harsh ride even with the indep front suspension.
Hello ComfortablyNumb,

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Its my pride and joy and as of yet I cannot fault it they are such good trucks. On my trip to fraiser I was going along at 110-120 pretty comfortably with the icy cold air conditioning blasting all loaded up and only used an average of 11L/100km which is pretty good even by modern standards. There is a lot of debate around these engines but in my opinion (i'm no expert) they are one of the best engines toyota ever made, sure they are a but tired on the freeway but thats NA and they are not really designed for freeway driving rather crawling along slowly off road. A few fuel pump modifications (12mm plungers) and a decent turbo kit and its a different story, but I wont get started on that now hehe ;). Thats a nice LN107 you have got and pretty low kays, overall it looks in great condition. I dont know much about the LN107 except that the LN106 had the solid front axle (what they are famous for) and leafsprings front and rear while the LN107 had IFS coils in the front and a slightly larger sump on the engine. The LN106 also has manual locking hubs while the LN107 is automatic and the LN106 sat about 2 inches higher off the ground compared to the LN107. A few other minor differences in the interior (cup holders etc) is about all that I am aware of. Other than this I cannot think of any other differences but other people may know of some more. Despite this, the LN107 is still extremely capable will lots of potential. I am sure you will have many adventures in it and hopefully I will see you out on the tracks someday :)

Olelux

Nice rig you have mate. You’ve done all the mods I want to do to mine. Got it if me father in law for $2000 with 270k on the clock bottom photo is the day I got it
5195E725-FBCE-4853-A03C-0166CC6A5CB9.jpeg
E9BA73A7-2F84-47E4-AA18-5E28AB2F3EBD.jpeg

boris mikilchuck

Nice rig you have mate. You’ve done all the mods I want to do to mine. Got it if me father in law for $2000 with 270k on the clock bottom photo is the day I got it View attachment 62751 View attachment 62752
Hi Olelux,

You have got yourself a real gem there mate, yours looks in pretty good condition. Selling one of these for $2000 should be a crime hahahaha, thats an absolute steal. I have said it before and I will say it again these are such great trucks, I am always blown away by how capable my ln106 is off road. With the right mods they pretty much crawl up a tree in low range. Just as long as you service it regularly you shouldnt have any serious issues. If you have any questions about the things I have done to mine then feel free to drop me a message

boris mikilchuck

Went to the watagans on the weekend with Mitch Mate, 03Hilux, Luthy and MrDPG to tackle Lemontree and Creek Road. Lemontree was too muddy but we had fun on creek road. The hilux
68810216_2831961640164788_4885799498502111232_o.jpg
P1000099.JPG
P1000106.JPG
P1000126.JPG
P1000129.JPG
P1000130.JPG
P1000139.JPG
went up everything I pointed it at, really happy with it.

Olelux

Hi Olelux,

You have got yourself a real gem there mate, yours looks in pretty good condition. Selling one of these for $2000 should be a crime hahahaha, thats an absolute steal. I have said it before and I will say it again these are such great trucks, I am always blown away by how capable my ln106 is off road. With the right mods they pretty much crawl up a tree in low range. Just as long as you service it regularly you shouldnt have any serious issues. If you have any questions about the things I have done to mine then feel free to drop me a message

Cheers Boris. She sure is a gem. Got a list of mods to do, mostly the ones you’ve done. Also be adding a turbo and aircon for the mrs lol

boris mikilchuck

Cheers Boris. She sure is a gem. Got a list of mods to do, mostly the ones you’ve done. Also be adding a turbo and aircon for the mrs lol
yea, an air con is kinda a necessity. I am very thankful for mine in summertime, it works great. Be very careful when choosing a turbo, there is so much misinformation out there with regard to these engines. Most of the turbo's in the kits are too small and you must make sure you have a healthy set of injectors and pump in good order before doing it. A 12mm pump upgrade is the way to go but also pretty expensive so depends on your budget.

boris mikilchuck

Cleaned the old girl up a bit and took it to the Central Coast cars and coffee meet at Kariong on the weekend. Overall a pretty good event with lots of variety and was nice to see other peoples cars.