Toyota BJ71 (SWB) 1989

The_Bat

Toyota BJ71 (SWB), 1989

Good Points
13B-T engine drives really well, the front seat setup is great and significantly more comfortable then that in the BJ70.

The fact its a 70 Series means finding accessories (Bull Bars etc) is really easy. Also the newer stuff coming out of ARB should look great on it.

Bad Points
Being a Jap import some parts can be very difficult to locate, for example alternators/starter motors and anything else that wasn't on the Australian delivered vehicals.

On that point that fact that the engine runs on 24v power, this again comes back to the issue in finding parts etc.

What mods have you done?
The truck was purchased with a 2in lift.

What mods are on the list to do?
I intend to fit either an Ironman or ARB winch bar and winch this year. Possibly side bars and fibreglass flares as well.

Why did you buy this vehicle?
After years of 4wd'ing with all my mates I thought it was time to buy my own truck. Picked the little old shorty because it was cheap and should be really capable.

How often do you go offroad?
Hopefully monthly.

What will your next vehicle be?
2005+ Hilux or 76 GXL Wagon

Attachments

• Landcruiser_01.JPG
    Landcruiser_01.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

jack48

Go the BJ 71s, great rigs, put a v6 Commodore motor in it, EcoTech , it will become a giant killer LOL

Tweakedoffroad

Hey mate they are aren't a bad truck it at least gets you out there keep us up today's with pics on your build and don't forget some action shots

The_Bat

For sure, the 13b-t seems to drive really well (on the road thus far). I have now had the alternator replaced with a second hand one that I had serviced at Quality Auto Electrics in Mitchell, ACT. Fingers crosses that is the end of the issues with the little truck as some parts seem quite difficult to get a hold of as it’s a Jap import.

Next step is to get a major service (I have been recommended to go to Queanbeyan Diesel Service) done on it and have it completely checked over, once it’s given the full bill of health it will be going bush and getting dirty! (stby for action shots).

At this stage I am hoping to get a front winch bar (ARB or Ironman) on it in July, coincidently after tax time and a set of cooper ST's soon after. At this stage though I am debating which set of rims to put them on as I have two sets. I do need to take the side steps and rear bumper off to straighten them out and then scrub back and respray the white rims black. I should hope to have all of those modifications done by the end of the year, and then there is that fact that I do like the Fiberglas flares.

I will keep everyone posted and put photo's up as upgrades roll out.

The_Bat

Armed with the new Roo Systems Commercial Bullbar and a set of 31x10.5r15 Yokohama Geolander G012's I headed out to Toolangi State Forrest over Christmas.

Had a ball! Enjoy the pic

Cruiser_03.jpg

Next additions...
Snorkel, Upgraded Exhaust, Rock sliders/Steel side step, Rear Bar (For tyre and fuel), Lights, Winch... Could go on for ever! Intercooler =)

I think I have the bug

Last edited: