touring with weapons

linuxfan66

im midly curious. how viable is it to tour for long periods of time with licensed weapons over here?
do you have to get approvals every time you change state borders?
has anyone done this and what was the experience like in practicality?

Triton14

You have to look at each state you intend to visit as to what their safe storage rules are when travelling & comply with each set of rules.
Pretty much all states will recognise another states shooters licence & registered firearms but you still need to comply with that states safe storage rules.

The grey area would be if a certain firearm which is fine in your state may be restricted in another?? EG due to magazine capacity or length etc. You would have to check on that one.

Here's the Qld example, the rest can be look up on google-

Last edited:

Lost1?

You would need to build some type of safe storage system into your vehicle is one assumption. A robust lockable box inside a locked ute canopy would be an example of what I mean. Another example would be a lockable box behind the rear most seat in a ute would be another. I have seen a couple of set ups like those described built by people I know who hunt a bit.

phs

I’d also imagine you would need a valid reason to have the firearm there as well so a valid vermin or stalking permit ect for each state you intend on entering

discomatt

Has anyone tried to get a gun license lately, the government departments give such a run around, leave you n endless loops between on hold, recorded messages and different departments it is literally impossible to get a license

Triton14

You would need to build some type of safe storage system into your vehicle is one assumption. A robust lockable box inside a locked ute canopy would be an example of what I mean. Another example would be a lockable box behind the rear most seat in a ute would be another. I have seen a couple of set ups like those described built by people I know who hunt a bit.
Correct, there are safe storage requirements for a residents & vehicle/transport.
It's all set out by the individual states regulatory body, usually the police or firearms registry.

phs

Has anyone tried to get a gun license lately, the government departments give such a run around, leave you n endless loops between on hold, recorded messages and different departments it is literally impossible to get a license
I had an issue with renewing myn as it was due during the first wave / hard lockdown so I couldn’t get a new photo taken to renew,

it was testing but eventually I got a new letter sent out and got it all sorted ( 1 year later )

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Some info on Vic requirements for transporting firearms/ammunition. As Triton said, you need to check each states rules, as they can be different, and different types of firearms have different rules. Some only have standard descriptions in the actual legal requirement, such as 'secure, not dangerous, and reasonable precautions taken. So it will be open to interpretation of the police officer inspecting your vehicle. Best option is follow the guidelines, and not the bare minimum legal requirement.

Not aware of any restrictions specifically with crossing state borders, but need to be careful with certain firearms etc, something may be allowed in one state, but not another.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/safe-storage

In general, you need a reason to be travelling with your firearm to begin with (planning to attend club events, or hunting during your travels). Can't just take it because you want to.

Someone going from home to a club ground for the day then back again, would be able to have the firearm (in a non-functioning state) and ammo in the back of a wagon or sedan boot. Most shotgun owners store the firearm in a lockable hard case where the shotgun is in pieces. The person needs to be in attendance with the unlocked vehicle at all times, or the vehicle locked if they are not there. A non-lockable ute tub for example would not suit.

Longer term transport, police would probably expect you have a lockable hard case for the firearm, a separate lockable ammunition container and it all being covered / out of sight, in boxes fixed to the vehicle if possible.

Rusty Panels

It depends, if you're a member of some ethnic groups it is incorporated into your Birth Certificate!

Hoyks

WA is the hard one to deal with.
Won't let you travel with a firearm, won't let you store it at a police station or arrange for you to collect it on departure, can't get a permit unless your a resident and if they ever allow people to cross the boarder, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a Perth address that you have to attend in person to apply for a temporary permit.

Ah, the good old days. Walked into Mayfield cop shop, paid my $5 for a piece of paper, walked down to the jewelers and gun store (odd combo, I know:oops:) right next door to Woolworths, bought my Bruno .22 and then walked home again.
You'd be lucky not to end up in the Golburn Supermax if you tried it these days. Mayfield was pretty dodgy back in the late 80's though.

Last edited:

cam04

QLD/nsw just put the rifles in your 4wd drawer, lock it and off you go. Disclose to plod if pulled over. Plenty of QLD ers cross the border to hunt under the nsw R license rules in parks that we don’t have up here.
In the 80’s I used to shoot for Duke of Edinburg award at Belmont rifle range. I rode my push bike with a semi auto partiallly dismantled in a backpack and a footy sock over the barrel sticking up behind my head. No worries.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
WA is the hard one to deal with.
Won't let you travel with a firearm, won't let you store it at a police station or arrange for you to collect it on departure, can't get a permit unless your a resident and if they ever allow people to cross the boarder, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a Perth address that you have to attend in person to apply for a temporary permit.

Ah, the good old days. Walked into Mayfield cop shop, paid my $5 for a piece of paper, walked down to the jewelers and gun store (odd combo, I know:oops:) right next door to Woolworths, bought my Bruno .22 and then walked home again.
You'd be lucky not to end up in the Golburn Supermax if you tried it these days. Mayfield was pretty dodgy back in the late 80's though.
SSAA and WA Police websites both show you can. But a temporary permit needs to be applied for.

https://www.ssaawa.org.au/faq/travelling-with-firearms

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-...Licensing-Services/Firearms-Licensing/Permits

RainmanWA

Ah, the good old days.
I bought a .22 lever action Winchester in Alice Springs back in 1978. I took it to the local cop shop to get a licenced to be able to carry it (as was the requirement in WA), they looked at me strangely, issued a hand scribbled permit that incorrectly spelt my home address in Perth despite my protests, guessed the number of rounds the magazine would hold (and got it wrong), charged me 50c and told me I was licenced for life in the Northern Territory, then sent me on my way.

Triton14

Yep we all lived in simpler times were pre 1996 & we all know what happened that changed that.

For better or for worse I don't think that was democracy served correctly.

This is another whole conversation outside if this thread.

Just stick to the current laws & legislation here guy's.

The past is the past!!!!!!!!