Torque wrench settings

muc the truck

there is no set figures there often vehicle specific and vary even when they have the same stud size as another car.

Buxter

Tight !
I have never used torque settings, when tightening wheel studs.
Just tight !
Since I forgot to tighten a wheel on my FC Holden, when I was 18, Tight
(seems like 2 century's back)

And a longer wheel brace makes it a lot easier to tighten them up.
More leverage
Autobarn sell them

Cheers
Buxter

Last edited:

Jaye

No more than 130NM is required for wheel nuts, but as said, every vehicles is different.

Tink

Had my wheels swapped over the other day at the Bridgestone dealer. Watched them fit them then the young fitter walks around to each wheel with his torque wrench and tightens each nut to the set torque. All good to go I ask. Nah, not yet, the boss has to check the job. The manager comes out of the office, grabs a wheel brace, not the torque wrench, and hangs off the end of the wheel brace with all his might and says all good mate. Made me smile.

FODFA

No more than 130NM is required for wheel nuts, but as said, every vehicles is different.

Passenger vehicles maybe, 10 stud truck rims we do them up to 450ft/lb which is around 610NM :eek:

Cheers Andrew

Diesel1

Passenger vehicles maybe, 10 stud truck rims we do them up to 450ft/lb which is around 610NM :eek:

Cheers Andrew

Haha yeah they are tight. At least you actually tension them.
Some shops just do them up with a 1 inch gun flat out with shop air cranked.
They don't realise that someone might have to change a tyre on the side of the road or how unsafe it is.

Swaggie

I had my nuts tightened the other day, with an impact gun, just worried about getting them off when needed now....

phs

It depends what it's on mAte,

My cruiser specs are 130nu for ally rim and 209mn for steel rims

Aaron Schubert

Even 'trained' tyre fitters often rattle the nuts up way too tight. You can get sockets that limit how much you can tighten the nuts, which should really be used. Rattle guns (even the cordless ones) can easily exceed the specs and you will end up damaging the studs/rims/nuts.

I use about a 600mm breaker bar, and give it a decent push.

Aaron