Torch Recommendations

MrMiller

Hey everyone,

Currently looking for a good torch.
For a few purposes… to keep in the glovebox during trips for general torch uses but also emergencies, to keep close to hand in the tent, and for the less likely purpose as a self defence tool. Not so much for myself but with a little one due next week and a missus who is quite protective like myself, can’t be too careful these days and a good torch can tick a lot of boxes.
What are you guys running out there that won’t crush the hip pocket?
cheers all.

Edit: Ideally rechargeable or run on common batteries… I’m thinking a good old fashioned 3D maglite but may be bulky…

McGinnis

I miss the feel and heft of my old 4D mag lite, but I don't miss the light output. You can get lights from Surefire and Klarus and others that have crenellated butts for breaking glass or self defence or whatever, but they're typically much smaller than the old alkaline cell lights. Even the large ones are generally based around 18650s so don't get much more than 30cm or so.

You can still buy maglites new, including rechargeable LED models, but they're pretty underwhelming.

I'm planning on picking up a Klarus RS80GT eventually, and while it's no Maglite baton, 10000 lumens to the face wouldn't be pleasant either.

McGinnis

Maybe something like this ticks the right boxes.

John U

I've had one of these for a couple of years. It has taken a bit of punishment and has never failed me.

It's not like carrying a club around, but I wouldn't like to catch the butt of one to the head.

It gets some good reviews. It goes everywhere with me at night when I'm camping.

hulsty

Maglite are crap, build quality has gone south and their performance is poor. I researched into it ahwile back and since I have been buying O-Lights, got a few mates onto them and they love them.

I have one of these in the glovebox, recharable, good size for camping and on the lower settings (still very bright) lasts ages.

phs

Have a few led lender torches all many years old now and all still work very well

Triton14

Maglite are crap, build quality has gone south and their performance is poor. I researched into it ahwile back and since I have been buying O-Lights, got a few mates onto them and they love them.

I have one of these in the glovebox, recharable, good size for camping and on the lower settings (still very bright) lasts ages.

I have 2 Olights, the 1st one was one of the original 700lm M3X's & I also have a 1000lm Javelot.

Amazing torches for the coin.

Like many types of gear you can buy there are a lot of torches that claim 20000lm :oops:

Olights are real performers giving real figures.

I have also heard good things about LED Lensers but have never owned one nor used one so cant comment directly.

I also have an older Wolfeyes 700lm & even the 750lm Olight kick its butt.

Olight all the way!!

Albynsw

I have one of the tactical Olights with the magnetic scope mount. That is easily the most powerful torch I have seen.
My son likes the Led lenses head torches and they are fantastic as far as head torches go. He has had a couple replaced under warranty no problems so they are great for after sales service

MrMiller

I’m still doing my research… quite a big world out there when it comes to torches I’m finding! Gone are the days of the good old maglite!
I’m currently looking at the Nitecore tm03, the Olight warrior x, and the Fenix tk16… the nitecore taking my fancy of the 3 so far… but will probably go with what has the best warranty. Especially with spending that amount of coin on a flashlight. My missus has a Convoy S2+ that cost $15 and puts out some decent light for 300lm.

Swaggie

Depends if you want to see to the far side of the moon :oops: or want something more practical or both .
I’ve been using the Olight Perun 2000 for awhile now.
Easy to use anywhere really.
There magnetic charging system is too.

boobook

Depends if you want to see to the far side of the moon :oops: or want something more practical or both .
I’ve been using the Olight Perun 2000 for awhile now.
Easy to use anywhere really.
There magnetic charging system is too.

You do find some good stuff Swaggie.

I have a few questions.

1)Does it have a red light mode?
2)Can you dim it manually?
3)Does the auto mode get annoying? ( I had one with auto on / off that kept turning off when I was working on close up things)

Rusty Panels

I worked on the railway for several years and worked shift work around the tracks so it was essential to have a decent torch or end up face first in a ditch. I was sick and tired of all the standard issue stuff like Eveready Dolphins and Maglites which would always either go flat or blow a globe when you really needed them. So, I started buying my own LED torches. The first couple I bought were el cheapo Ebay things that worked in a fashion but still weren't good enough. I then bought a LED Lenser P7 with 450 lumen output which takes 4 AAA batteries which were lasting me a month or more and were phenomenal lights. I still have them and they still work brilliantly.
I also have a Nitecore rechargeable which will also take 2 CR123 standard batteries if you run out of power. It recharges via a USB cable and is a brilliant torch of 860 lumens.
I recently bought a couple of Olights a Baton Pro and a Warrior Mini. Both are rechargeable pocket rockets that fit into the palm of your hand and light the place up like daylight. The Baton Pro is 2,000 lumen on maximum. Both have a magnetic charger and have a 2 way clip that will attach to the peak of your cap or you can put the magnetic base onto steel for hands free as well.
There are any number of top quality torches out there but these are the ones I have had a great run out of so far.

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

Olight Baton Pro 2000 lumen.

Rusty Panels

I do like the Olights, they get a good wrap from everywhere so don't think you can go far wrong. I've been using mine for a few months and very impressed so far.