Top-5 Overrated 4WD's - Certainly will stir up the fan based owners

rob_macca67

Guys...
Found this video floating around YouTube about the 5 Top Overrated 4WD's as per automotive-related journalists and people in the industry...

For me personally - water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned as you drive & own what u enjoy and people can say/think what they want...

MIght be some truths in there somewhere, but I'm happy with what I drive... Not sure what those deep-pocketed Tojo owners will think though :D

discomatt

The one thing I will say is that there is little to no alternative to a 79 if that is the type of vehicle you are after which is why they sell, even if you have to then modify them
I would of considered something else if there was something else.
Nothing else comes even close here if that is the sort of 4wd you want / need but the fact that they need so many mods to make them what Toyota should from factory

Albynsw

Nothing else comes even close here if that is the sort of 4wd you want / need but the fact that they need so many mods to make them what Toyota should from factory

Yep fair call, I guess they do just enough that the mines etc want them and any retail sales over that are a bonus ?? They are selling them quicker than they can make them, even before Covid when things were “ normal” the standard was a 4 month wait so they don’t have a lot of incentive to change what they are doing unfortunately
I read an article recently from Alan White and he said there are spy shots of a new 79 they are trialling here atm and they have corrected the wheel track apparently, I wonder if they are doing a refresh and putting the 6 from the 300 in them next time around too.

G_ute

I am sure if the G-wagen was more popular/known it would have made that list.
I.e. the G400 and G63 being all we get now.

LongRoad2Go

Guys...
Found this video floating around YouTube about the 5 Top Overrated 4WD's as per automotive-related journalists and people in the industry...

For me personally - water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned as you drive & own what u enjoy and people can say/think what they want... :D

Coincidentally fell over that video yesterday too.

I'm not a fanboy of any make or model, but have chosen the 79 as a future buy simply because what others here have noted - no other vehicle comes close to it for certain abilities and, importantly, price-point ... even though it is disgustingly expensive for what is offered. (Isuzu and Unimog are not equal comparisons).

As said elsewhere, Toyota may well be killing the golden goose if/when other makes catch up, and they are coming fast in the form of at least two players: the Mahindra and perhaps the future Ineos.