toolangi state forrest vic

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I lived in Portland as a kid .
Been to Discovery bay dunes to see buggy racing more recently. Came back thru there from Flinders Ranges in March.
Dune access is a bit limited/controlled but doable.
Contact Portland Dune Buggy Club.

Discovery Bay is the Portland Dune Buggy Club area and the camping ground is maintained by them at Swan Lake which is off the Portland - Nelson road.

DAY MEMBERSHIP.

This option entitles the successful applicant access to the Designated Dune Buggy Area within the Discovery Bay Coastal Park for four consecutive days.
(Each person wishing to drive must be a member.)

Individuals may only apply for a four-day membership once in a financial year.
The cost for this option is: $50.00 per driver

Portland Dune Buggy Club - PDBC

redefine82

I am keen as to go to robe when it warms up and drive along the beach looks awesome over there and never driven on a beach. We should get a trip organised!

PK Kitchens

I am keen as to go to robe when it warms up and drive along the beach looks awesome over there and never driven on a beach. We should get a trip organised!

I've been there before and it is really good. There's a few spots where the sand is REALLY soft. Almost lost a car from being stuck and the tide coming in.

PK

davidb83

ROF LOBL!!!! That was so well put.

sorry fellas; all the extra add ons to a great 4bie like a d40 will never replace experience

Maybe ask if someone with experience in that area could go with you or stick to the sandy stuff for now as it's usually pretty clean (good) fun getting out of sand bogs......ummm i mean getting over a dune or through deep soft sand. BTW; and don't forget the shovel :D

It's smart ass's like you that make forums shit, telling me to stick to sand lol, your a wanker.

80lover96gxl

I've been there before and it is really good. There's a few spots where the sand is REALLY soft. Almost lost a car from being stuck and the tide coming in.

PK

Yeah Robe to Beachport is sensational, abit further SE you've got Canada which is also great to.

You guys should try and do both areas if you have the time and over that way .Both area's can be done comfortably in 4 day's, can be done in 3 but is a little rushed.

If you guys do plan a trip over this way a few of us south aussies could be interested in tagging along.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Robe beach is good. Can't drive beaches in Vic. Doh!

Robe c (5).JPG

phs

Davidb83 toolangi was where I cut my teeth many many moons ago I was in 1 vehicle with 2 passages ( bench seat ) we had that much fun ( new to 4wding ) I returned every weekend for about a year .

Have a look on the track section of the site there are plenty of tracks in toolangi listed mostly mud. Last time there ( 6 months ago ) on rocky track the chicken track on the right was ok.

Wee creek has short sections of fun and there are numerouse tracks off marginal rd that are good . Like Martines and lyndells

Aeroplain is a 50/50 of its seen traffic after rain it will be deep rutts and slush.

There are tracks further north like stockmans, wherrets and more in the east like mohencans, and jack sons brake but have nt been there for a while.

Sort of got board of the same track about the 100 th time traveling it

Like any type of 4wding you need to make the call on a track and it's current condition .
IV been lucky I pushed it a lot out there and never really paid the price but a lot of close calls in the bj70 and I doubt I'd take my 79 there

reddahaydn

Toolangi is fine for beginners...I did most of my learning there - which included hydrolocking an engine in a bog hole on downey spur), then two trips after a expensive rebuild I blew up a front diff on Lyndalls track.

the best thing about Toolangi is that if you can your busted vehicle back to the pub, it's less than $400 for a tow home (seems a lot, but compared to big desert. high country etc, it's nothing)

(off topic but replying to above, there's plenty of dunes in vic, big desert, murray sunset etc - but they're all a bloody long way away)

Just head out too Toolangi and drive around mate, you'll find heaps of stuff. you can (normally) always turn around if you find something that is too hairy, (altho the little track at the bottom of aeroplane you can't, once your committed your committed)

there's such a huge range of tracks there from dirt roads to real hard stuff... you'll have plenty of fun.

ULost2

gday all, myself and a couple mates are looking to goto Toolangi state forrest in a couple weeks for the day, all of us a fairly new to the offroad scene and looking to start at "rocky track" from there not too sure, after any help/suggestion for where to go from there. cheers
It's smart ass's like you that make forums shit, telling me to stick to sand lol, your a wanker.

Thanks Mate; always great to help the "fairly new to the offroad scene" even if I couldn't mix it with many on the this forum.

Not sure how many post you have else where; but you only have seven on this forum while I have 19,000+ on one photography forum plus something like 20,000 acros other australian and international forums.
Your thoughtless post would have resulting in you being banned on the forum I moderate.

As for someone else's comment "no sand dunes in Vic". Plenty of sand in Sunset NP to play in. May not be coastly sand dune stuff but the NP guys spend plenty of time looking for and helping many 4x4s out of dry sand bogs. Best "fun" is in summer BTW