Toolangi 30th October 2011

Reddave

Headed out yesterday to Toolangi state forest with a few guys from here, what a wet day!!

It all started at 9:00am meeting at Beechworth Bakery (awesome pies) where I met Luke(liftker), had a chat and waited for our other mates to arrive. At 9:30am Julian(skips_bigred) and David(bluebird) turned up. Had a bit of a discussion about how wet it was and decided that we wouldnt be trying anything that one person didnt want to do.

Headed in from spraggs road, went down victoria range rd, went down wee creek track which had us at a roadblock. At the end of wee creek track where it comes onto marginal road, the CFA was doing a training day and the melbourne jeep owners club was coming the other way. It was like peak hour!!

Headed down marginal road, to what used to be along the highway line, but is all gated now due to the pipeline. Headed back up marginal road, back down wee creek track. Continued along victoria range road. Luke decided to head home, so made his way out of the forest. We then continued along and turned in to flats track. Fun track that we decided to turn around and leave for another day. Headed up to Ridge track and when we got to the end the only way out was a downhill section that looked really fun. Not long but lots of wet clay. Drove down no problems, David decided it would be fun to drive up the same hill. So up we all went. Headed onto downies spur track, took the smaller bog holes, the bigger ones could swallow my work car!!

Then went to have a look at blowhard and then maybe cockpit. Well not even 5 minutes into the track, the heavens opened up and it became really slippery. I stopped to have a look at what may become a potentially long recovery at a boghole. We all got out and it was decided that we really need to turn around. It was around 2:30pm and bucketing down.

Julian didnt have a problem turning around being the last car in. David tried to turn around in the same spot, but couldnt climb out of the ruts. I had to move my car onto the side of the track so David could come past me to try and turn around. He had his front wheels up on the embankment, the pedal to the metal as the back end of the car slid almost 180 degrees. The smile on his face said it all. That was Fun.

I then did essentially the same thing to turn around. We drove up and out of the track. I was clambering for traction at times, but a lot of momentum really helped too.

We decided to not even have a look at cockpit and instead head home.

Thanks for an awesome day out guys and hope to catch up again soon. Maybe when its a bit drier we should go back and tackle blowhard!!!

I wish there was pics, but it was way too wet for my son to be standing out in the rain taking photos :D

liftker

Headed out yesterday to Toolangi state forest with a few guys from here, what a wet day!!

It all started at 9:00am meeting at Beechworth Bakery (awesome pies) where I met Luke(liftker), had a chat and waited for our other mates to arrive. At 9:30am Julian(skips_bigred) and David(bluebird) turned up. Had a bit of a discussion about how wet it was and decided that we wouldnt be trying anything that one person didnt want to do.

Headed in from spraggs road, went down victoria range rd, went down wee creek track which had us at a roadblock. At the end of wee creek track where it comes onto marginal road, the CFA was doing a training day and the melbourne jeep owners club was coming the other way. It was like peak hour!!

Headed down marginal road, to what used to be along the highway line, but is all gated now due to the pipeline. Headed back up marginal road, back down wee creek track. Continued along victoria range road. Luke decided to head home, so made his way out of the forest. We then continued along and turned in to flats track. Fun track that we decided to turn around and leave for another day. Headed up to Ridge track and when we got to the end the only way out was a downhill section that looked really fun. Not long but lots of wet clay. Drove down no problems, David decided it would be fun to drive up the same hill. So up we all went. Headed onto downies spur track, took the smaller bog holes, the bigger ones could swallow my work car!!

Then went to have a look at blowhard and then maybe cockpit. Well not even 5 minutes into the track, the heavens opened up and it became really slippery. I stopped to have a look at what may become a potentially long recovery at a boghole. We all got out and it was decided that we really need to turn around. It was around 2:30pm and bucketing down.

Julian didnt have a problem turning around being the last car in. David tried to turn around in the same spot, but couldnt climb out of the ruts. I had to move my car onto the side of the track so David could come past me to try and turn around. He had his front wheels up on the embankment, the pedal to the metal as the back end of the car slid almost 180 degrees. The smile on his face said it all. That was Fun.

I then did essentially the same thing to turn around. We drove up and out of the track. I was clambering for traction at times, but a lot of momentum really helped too.

We decided to not even have a look at cockpit and instead head home.

Thanks for an awesome day out guys and hope to catch up again soon. Maybe when its a bit drier we should go back and tackle blowhard!!!

I wish there was pics, but it was way too wet for my son to be standing out in the rain taking photos :D

Hi Dave Luke here sorry i missed out on the rest of the fun but my back was getting abit sore but still had awsome time love to go out with you guys again maybe when it gets abit dryer i got that rain aswell going out to marginal road which ended up being 4.7 klms to melba hwy. It was a excellant day as i have got the taste for it again after being in and out of hospital for so long. You guys where all great blokes and it was a pleasure meeting you all. Luke (liftker).