tom tom go 910

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
does anyone know if i can down load track maps to my tom tom has anyone done that yet at tom tom aust they reckon you cant even bread crumb a trail and i cant find a screen that will let me do so any cheap gps will

4X4

does anyone know if i can down load track maps to my tom tom has anyone done that yet at tom tom aust they reckon you cant even bread crumb a trail and i cant find a screen that will let me do so any cheap gps will
I think Tom Tom is voice guided navigation only, it doesn't care where you've been, it only tells you where to go! LOL:rolleyes:

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have a 910 also.

The only way you can get a track is to set up favourites, but you have to be on the track to do so. Go to add fav: then point on map: then hit the arrow top right then you have to name the location.

In Vic the major tracks are already loaded but most are identified as unnamed road so hence useless in planning trip if haven't been there before. Have been very surprised how much is actually in the maps provided.

I list the favourites for certain areas as XX favname for one region and then yy favname for the next region.

then when returning to area use the itineray planning option and make sure you mark the majority of points as waypoints and only have a single destination.

then make sure you backup regularly because if you loose the info you have to start all over again.

Trust this helps and good luck

I am thinking of getting a garmin next time much more suited for off road navigation.

Last edited:

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
thanks bek ill try that this weekend as im pretty sure teewah and double island dont show up you do get it showing the beach but thats all no actual poi or areas

big_60series

I have a mate thats a sales rep for tom tom, i could ask but i think the only way you will get it on there is if you are on the track and save it. hema maps are best for off roading i think

steven

hi im having the same problem with my tomtom and have been looking for a while now if you go to this web site it may help you it has a program that is meant to give tom tom that offroad capabilaty but it dosent suit my tomtom but on that note be cerfle the bits i read sugests there are sume glitches
webazar.org

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
hi im having the same problem with my tomtom and have been looking for a while now if you go to this web site it may help you it has a program that is meant to give tom tom that offroad capabilaty but it dosent suit my tomtom but on that note be cerfle the bits i read sugests there are sume glitches
webazar.org

thanks steven i have actually seen this site but i need someone who understands computers and gps a lot better than me before i tried downloading that help any locals with that sort of now how

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
Guys

Not knowing what models you have there is another way of entering your co ords (mine is an old 910 2 years old so not sure if it will work with your newer models) Here goes anyhow

Use the naviagate to option then use bottom right arrow

Then you should have Latitude longitude in top right of screen

you will then have the lat option in Vic eg S37.8777 o (this is degrees cant find the actual degree symbol)
Type your co ordinate from something like goggle maps in same format and the OK button

this is then your Longitude reading E145.22222 o again use the coordinate you want then ok

If you look on the top of screen you should have location or track name. Make sure it is where you want because sometimes the co ordinates aren't that accurate.

HENCE DO NOT RELY ON YOUR TOM TOM

Especially if you haven't been there before or you don't have a rooftop map (or any paper map)

I know the Vicroads coordinates in the directory don't always line up with the co ords if i use the TT can be up to 1 k out because co ords in vic roads aren't as detailed as TT requires

Name the point by using the Add Favorites option mine is touch screen once then use bottom right arrow then use bottom row right arrow then Lat Long button you have just entered OK Ok then you should be able to name.

Will take up to 30 minutes to set up about 7 or 8 co ordinates.

Just be aware on the tracks your position (on screen) will be off the track you are actually driving on as much as you are on. Just allow it time to reset to give you the distance to destination.

I use maps as well so I always have the backup but the TT is good enough.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
whoa thats a mouthful bek im gunna have to write that down as the printers out of ink but ill try it up a lcmp next weekend and see how it goes thanks for all the informed info