Today's service brought up a couple other things.

red hilux

I thought today would be a nice day for a tyre rotation and oil change.

I started off draining the oil, while that was happening I did the rotation.

I know these engines have a common problem of a blocked oil pick up. So I thought I would have a look thru the sump plug. Looked clean but saw a bit of crap on the sides. Bugger it. Take the pan off and have a look.

6EBC0C37-7CFF-41F5-93A6-94C99C87AC91.jpg
Not too good but all cleaned out now

Albynsw

Looks like your injector seals ( sheets) are leaking and need replacing. They are a good motor except for this issue which they resolved in about 09 I think it was when they started using different seals... copper from memory

red hilux

The last owner said that the injectors were done at 150k. Car has just under 220k right now.
The build up was very hard and well stuck in the screen. Car is a 11/06 model

I think it's just old build up.
Never had EGR plate until a year ago. I got techstream to check injector values. Admittedly I haven't done the test for a couple months now, but was well in spec before

I do my services every 5k. My oil comes out almost looking like new. Next few services I will monitor it, pray it's clean.

Albynsw

Checking the injector values won't tell you if your seals are leaking so it is worth keeping an eye on the pickup screen when doing oil changes, hopefully it is just buildup from your old injectors

phs

Definetly looks like injector seals.
They recommend visually inspecting the oil screen every service

The Pistons are a weak Point which Toyota finialy changed in 2012, and because of that
It is recommend to change injectors every 100k best go genuine.

Last edited:

Albynsw

Definetly looks like injector seals.
They recommend visually inspecting the oil screen every service

The Pistons are a weak Point which Toyota finialy changed in 2012, and because of that
It is recommend to change injectors every 100k best go genuine.
what was the issue with the pistons? Never heard that before

red hilux

heard that they use 110 pistons now, what ever that means

Ive got a diesel power chip and a small exhaust mod. I spoke to a turbo place that use to sell them. They never had a problem with them, only the price.

Been thinking about removing it for a while now but just havent

red hilux

Chips and 1kd are a no no as soon as they are pushed out of spec they tend to go bang
You inspired me to remove it.

i just did it then. While using a pocket knife to cut the cable tie off, i was thinking to myself that I shouldnt be lazy and get a pair of side cutters. This knife will slip and cut my heater hose, and there we go, right into the heater hose. Lucky I had some 16mm hose here.

Took it for a drive. Can definitely feel its under powered from before