Change background image

To the western most point of Australian mainland

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Aaron Schubert, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Hey guys,

We got back from 9 days at Steep Point camping, and then 6 in a house in Denham a few days ago. It was a fair old effort to plan and get everything out there including 2 boats and a camper trailer, along with about 60 - 110L of water each, petrol for the boats, firewood and everything else that goes with an extended camping stay, but it was well and truly worth it.

I had a few car drama's, and a mate had issues with his boat motor, but all in all a great trip. We got plenty of decent fish and our little boy had a ball. Here's a few teasers, with the rest on the blog: 2 weeks at Steep Point and Denham.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

GaryM, Wang, Bomber2012 and 10 others like this.
  2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Great report and photos

Vehicle repairs, just coincidence and bad luck or was it harsh ?

Your snake i would go for whip snake or possibly a young brown...difficult without a sense of scale, large eyes would tend me towards the whip... but i am not a herpetologist ;)

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  3. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Cheers. The belts would have been coincidence I'm sure. The bearing though, I reckon the corrugations did that. It actually cracked the spindle. I know they were tight and had plenty of grease before we left. The track overall was in pretty good nick, except one section maybe 15km long that was absolutely shocking.

Aaron

smitty_r51 likes this.
  4. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

Would love to spend some time on the west coast.

5. Adenco

Adenco New Member

Went to Double Beach, Tamala with a day trip to Steep Point last school holidays. My mate lost both doors to his under tray slung tool boxes due to corrugations.
    He was not amused.

6. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Yeah, the corrugations are terrible. I'm told that part between the Useless Loop pond and the fist dune is not graded much as no one wants to take responsibility for it. I think that is what caused my spindle to crack on one side, which took out the wheel bearings. I wasn't too amused either :p

Aaron

7. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

Hahaha, my mate just did a day trip in/out of there today. Suffice to say, I'm looking forward to his vid when he returns. He wasn't a happy chappy. Something along the lines of the road is a disgrace for an international tourism destination....hahahah And he let Pam know too!

8. ShaunOz

ShaunOz Active Member

Awesome mate, nice Cobia. One day.......

9. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Aha, I wonder how Pam reacted. The road is actually in pretty good condition, its just that 15km section between the Useless Loop bridge and the first dune that is literally shocking.

What vehicle was he in?

Aaron

10. sharkcaver

Pam just shrugged her head and ignored the rant - what else could she do? My mate reckoned it was shocking from the start of the national park (which I read as the Crayfish bay/Steep Pt intersection) to the ranger station. I told him it was shiit on Thursday night, next time he may listen to me :eek:

He was in a gen 4 Paj and I reckon I will still hear him bitching. I told him if that 70Km's was bad, best he not do the Canning :rolleyes:

11. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Interesting; maybe its gotten even worse. Would have thought a Paj would be a pretty good ride though - maybe he's just not used to corrugations

Aaron

12. sharkcaver

He should be, But I'm thinkin the same as you. Will have to check out his vid.