To rebuild or replace

ghumphreys

My 80 series has a 1HZ motor which has just clocked 390th. Just starting to notice it is getting tired especially when towing my boat which is almost 2t, so the question i have is would it be better to rebuild current motor and then turbo it or replace it with a 1hdft. Have had a good run out of this motor and would like to get similar run out of new one.
Any advice would be good.

Split pin

Hey Buddy do what I did when our motor went belly up. I sent the car to Brunzwick diesels and it came back with a chev V8 diesel 6.5 litre. I also tow a boat and a van and I tell you you wont be disappointed. I wasnt and the fuel economy is pretty close to what I had before. Go check them out at brunzwickdiesel.com.au.

Grumpy

Hey Buddy do what I did when our motor went belly up. I sent the car to Brunzwick diesels and it came back with a chev V8 diesel 6.5 litre. I also tow a boat and a van and I tell you you wont be disappointed. I wasnt and the fuel economy is pretty close to what I had before. Go check them out at brunzwickdiesel.com.au.

I've heard a lot about the new 6.5 Diesels, was yours petrol or diesel before the conversion.

croozza

My 80 series has a 1HZ motor which has just clocked 390th. Just starting to notice it is getting tired especially when towing my boat which is almost 2t, so the question i have is would it be better to rebuild current motor and then turbo it or replace it with a 1hdft. Have had a good run out of this motor and would like to get similar run out of new one.
Any advice would be good.

When was the last time you had the valve shims replaced, only costs a couple of hundred and it is just like new again.

ghumphreys

i had valves injectors and pump all done about 7- 10k ago made a fair difference, put a snorkle on it about 3k ago and that also made a difference, maybe it is not completly buggerd so is it smart to turbo it now or with a rebuild

monk2

i had valves injectors and pump all done about 7- 10k ago made a fair difference, put a snorkle on it about 3k ago and that also made a difference, maybe it is not completly buggerd so is it smart to turbo it now or with a rebuild

not advisable to turbo a tired motor rebuild then put turbo or go the chev diesel

Split pin

I agree with Monk. If you turbo a reasonable old motor you will break it a lot sooner and dearer lol.
If you go and rebuild the motor and you want to turbo the motor later on. Do the rebuild with adding a turbo in the future in mind.That way when you have the after market turbo installed or you install it yourself you wont have to worry about the motors internals handling the extra power.

V8 4runner

My advice is to take your time and do your homework.
If you are thinking of upgrading the 4x4 in say the next 3 years... flog it off now !
otherwise an engine conversion of any kind will make it into a keeper for many years to come.

look at your options...
rebuild your motor = $
buy a change over motor =$
chev V8 deisel = $
holden / Ford V8 = $

for any motor that is not designed to drop strait in will cost you some big bucks, like around the 3 grand mark for all the conversion kit / adaptors etc ON TOP of what the motor costs you.

but like I said earlier... do your homework and you will be rewarded with a very capable vehicle for what you need it for.

cheers

ghumphreys

Thanks V8 4Runner our plans were to keep it as we love our 80series and was just woundering what the smartest way to go was. im sure i want to stay with a genuie toyota motor wether i rebuild my current motor & or turbo my current motor after rebuild or put a factory turbo motor

phs

a 1hz after 390 clicks should have plenty of life left in it if it was service properly they will go around the clock.

the
1HDFT is a good idea for an upgrade BUT you might want to look at a gear box upgrade at the sametime maybe diffs too ? as toyota did upgrade there box when useing the 1HDFT mind you iv heard only good things about the upgraded box very strong ...
as for the 80 series box's iv only heard there only suited for the power they make factory std.

iv been looking for my next rig for quite some time and i decided it will be a 1HDFT with the newer box ( H150F ) cant remember exactly. for the reason of it been the most refined and economic 4.2td with good power and great low down torque.

iv always said nissan have very good drive trains but the toyota motoros are second to none.

Last edited:

ghumphreys

a 1hz after 390 clicks should have plenty of life left in it if it was service properly they will go around the clock.

the
1HDFT is a good idea for an upgrade BUT you might want to look at a gear box upgrade at the sametime maybe diffs too ? as toyota did upgrade there box when useing the 1HDFT mind you iv heard only good things about the upgraded box very strong ...
as for the 80 series box's iv only heard there only suited for the power they make factory std.

iv been looking for my next rig for quite some time and i decided it will be a 1HDFT with the newer box ( H150F ) cant remember exactly. for the reason of it been the most refined and economic 4.2td with good power and great low down torque.

iv always said nissan have very good drive trains but the toyota motoros are second to none.

Thanks for that so in your oppion providing good service history which i have should be able to turbo my motor

phs

^^^^ well not exactly yes the motor will be fine for many more km's BUT to turbo it at 390 clicks ?, its recomended to turbo a diesel befor 300 the earlyer the better, not to say you will have any dramas but you might, people have done it at 500,000 and its been ok but 390 is high kms to add a turbo. but for what you have to lose give it a go. getting a new HDFT and box will cost big $$$ get a cheap second hand one and you'll probly find out sooner or later its stuffed and pay for it to get rebuilt. turbo kit fitted should be around 3500

croozza

^^^^ well not exactly yes the motor will be fine for many more km's BUT to turbo it at 390 clicks ?, its recomended to turbo a diesel befor 300 the earlyer the better, not to say you will have any dramas but you might, people have done it at 500,000 and its been ok but 390 is high kms to add a turbo. but for what you have to lose give it a go. getting a new HDFT and box will cost big $$$ get a cheap second hand one and you'll probly find out sooner or later its stuffed and pay for it to get rebuilt. turbo kit fitted should be around 3500

If your going to get a second hand motor, make sure it is not an import, as it would most likely be glazed up.