To Oztent or not to Oztent?

Sean Logue

I've got RV4 just for two of us. I like the tent assembly but hate its size when packed, its 2 meters long 20 kg sausage! . It certainly is an exercise trying to bench press it on the roof rack and I don't even want to know how much I'm overloading the roof with all these things when we go out camping.
Storing it in the shed is another PITA.
It is not ~30 secs tent either but it beats conventional tents with ease for sure. I wasn't and still I'm not a fan of this tent but I couldn't find a better alternative and it was a gift from my family in the end. It keeps missus happy cause she can stand up in it and have foldable bed too. Crawling out of tents on all fours is not desirable in my age group anymore, leave it up to kids.
If there is a tent with an ease of assembly as Oztent but half the weight and size I'll swap immediately.
Cheers
It's 30 secs with out pegging all the ropes down :D. Now with all the front wall panels i have, takes 10 mins... Does warm your chest and shoulders up throwing it up top ... I am about to camp at Wonnangatta Station for 6 nights. Could not think of a better set up, besides a X2 Patriot Camper.

darb

Lover of RV5 with front room, but there's no way its a 30 second tent lol. None are. Takes longer to get it out of bag, set it out, set it up, then start pegging down, pegging out lines, poles, sides, front wall, spreader bars and such.

Still rate it though.

In crap a wind a good strong geodesic dome will be more resilient and not catch as much wind (rv tends to have a lot of flat sailable panels) ... however I won't use one because I find the setup always more complex - I detest having to thread poles through sleeves (and the rihgt one in the right sleeve), at lesat with the RV5 you just step in, lift up - she's up. The rest is just ancillary to taht I guess.

Wife loves it - that'll do for me.

GreenHead-Nov-2018--1015.jpg

GreenHead-Nov-2018--1050.jpg
GreenHead-Nov-2018--1051.jpg

Last edited:
If there is a tent with an ease of assembly as Oztent but half the weight and size I'll swap immediately.
Cheers
Check this out:

Haven't seen one in person, but I do have other EPE gear and the quality is great. Similar size and style to the OzTent, but half the length.

stevemc181

I rarely bother pegging our RV5 tent down at all, but we usually pull up for the night late in the afternoon and are gone by 8 or 9 the next morning. If it's likely to be windy, I'll peg it down or if we are staying more than one night, but generally we get it out of the bag, stand it up and it's done. I've never bothered with awnings or sidewalls as we don't basecamp much.

darb

Yeha i do because it's WA and wind is a fact of life here, that being said we actually only use the Rv5 for extended stays (particularly the front room) ... otherwise it's just the pair of swags (featured in the pics above)

Hotdog

It's 30 secs with out pegging all the ropes down :D. Now with all the front wall panels i have, takes 10 mins... Does warm your chest and shoulders up throwing it up top ... I am about to camp at Wonnangatta Station for 6 nights. Could not think of a better set up, besides a X2 Patriot Camper.
Spent 4 weeks in and out of a RV4 doing Lawn hill and the gulf. We have all the panels and it was the longest trip with the tent, just 3 or 4 days prior and all the over night stops became a chore near the end. I'm not getting any younger and the up and down of the roof rack was a bit much so as the LC76 doesn't have a lot of packing space we have now upgraded to a Patriot X1. :D

patrolgu4

Check this out:

Haven't seen one in person, but I do have other EPE gear and the quality is great. Similar size and style to the OzTent, but half the length.
I had a look, while it has half a size it is over weight beast comparing to even Oztent, whooping close to 30 kg vs 22 kg. Nah thanks
Still interesting tent for sure essentially reworked foldable base Oztent with extra telescopic poles.

Regards