Change background image

To Oztent or not to Oztent?

Discussion in 'Tents' started by Threshold, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Active Member

It's 30 secs with out pegging all the ropes down :D. Now with all the front wall panels i have, takes 10 mins... Does warm your chest and shoulders up throwing it up top ... I am about to camp at Wonnangatta Station for 6 nights. Could not think of a better set up, besides a X2 Patriot Camper.

2. darb

darb Well-Known Member

Lover of RV5 with front room, but there's no way its a 30 second tent lol. None are. Takes longer to get it out of bag, set it out, set it up, then start pegging down, pegging out lines, poles, sides, front wall, spreader bars and such.

Still rate it though.

In crap a wind a good strong geodesic dome will be more resilient and not catch as much wind (rv tends to have a lot of flat sailable panels) ... however I won't use one because I find the setup always more complex - I detest having to thread poles through sleeves (and the rihgt one in the right sleeve), at lesat with the RV5 you just step in, lift up - she's up. The rest is just ancillary to taht I guess.

Wife loves it - that'll do for me.

GreenHead-Nov-2018--1015.jpg

GreenHead-Nov-2018--1050.jpg GreenHead-Nov-2018--1051.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Sean Logue likes this.
  3. McGinnis

McGinnis New Member

Check this out:

Haven't seen one in person, but I do have other EPE gear and the quality is great. Similar size and style to the OzTent, but half the length.

4. darb

darb Well-Known Member

I like the roof design!

5. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

I rarely bother pegging our RV5 tent down at all, but we usually pull up for the night late in the afternoon and are gone by 8 or 9 the next morning. If it's likely to be windy, I'll peg it down or if we are staying more than one night, but generally we get it out of the bag, stand it up and it's done. I've never bothered with awnings or sidewalls as we don't basecamp much.

6. darb

darb Well-Known Member

Yeha i do because it's WA and wind is a fact of life here, that being said we actually only use the Rv5 for extended stays (particularly the front room) ... otherwise it's just the pair of swags (featured in the pics above)

7. Hotdog

Hotdog Active Member

Spent 4 weeks in and out of a RV4 doing Lawn hill and the gulf. We have all the panels and it was the longest trip with the tent, just 3 or 4 days prior and all the over night stops became a chore near the end. I'm not getting any younger and the up and down of the roof rack was a bit much so as the LC76 doesn't have a lot of packing space we have now upgraded to a Patriot X1. :D

Sean Logue likes this.
  8. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

...and 3 times as long to set up even with 2 people.

9. McGinnis

McGinnis New Member

Maybe. If the OzTent is a 30 second tent, that makes this a 1 minute 30 second tent. I'd trade 60 seconds of my life for not having to carry an OzTent on the roof just personally.

10. patrolgu4

patrolgu4 Active Member

I had a look, while it has half a size it is over weight beast comparing to even Oztent, whooping close to 30 kg vs 22 kg. Nah thanks
    Still interesting tent for sure essentially reworked foldable base Oztent with extra telescopic poles.

Regards