To Oztent or not to Oztent?

SPOD_Here

Still thinking of an Oztent? Now would be a good time to act, $100 cash back deal. I've no association wit) 'em , just a satisfied customer of Snowies over the years...

Link

darb

I've got an RV5, used to have an RV3. Love it.

avon-exploring--1003.jpg

Last edited:

stevemc181

I've pulled the trigger and also gone down the Oztent Rv-5 path. Getting a bit over using my pop-up Malamoo tent, particularly crawling out of the bastard on my hands and knees in the morning. We are heading off in 12 days time on a 6 week adventure, so expect we will set it up around 32+ times , we should get a pretty good idea on how they are to live with as a touring tent.

Decca

Does anyone have the Oztent JV Signature series tent?
Looks like a tarted up RV2 or 3 with extras for a reasonable price.
The zip on flooring for the annex appears a good idea.

McGinnis

As ubiquitous as OzTents seem to be, I've never been a fan. They're not great in awful weather (especially wind), are heavy, and too big to fit in anything but a troopy, which just means more weight on the roof and another thing to catch branches on. The design is good in fair weather, once they've been set up, which is most of the time I suppose. For the cost, the canvas seems subpar too.

While I've never used one myself, I'd love to check one of these out in person. Like an OzTent that packs up to a more reasonable size.

I use a Campmor Safari Rambler, which is basically as indestructible as tents get (8.3mm spring steel poles). Otherwise I'd probably go with a Freedom or Southern Cross centrepole tent.

All that said, most people with OzTents love them, so YMMV :)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Love the centre poles. Quick and compact.

Very OLD post !!

Touring style tent ?
If so yeah . . . Add a side pole kit for a clear floor area too.

Have never owned an Oztent, but seen many used, pain to put away wet through, much heavier wet (bad enough dry !), really nothing is as quick as they say, if set up properly they take same or longer than a canvas tourer.

Thats me talking from a daily tourer type of traveller, I don't set up for 2, 3, 4 days or more which might see the Oz tent more of a winner.

barcher

We have an oztent rv4, purchased after our centre pole tent wore out. Rv4 is a great tent. Bad things are it does get condensation inside, fly sheet helps with this, but another accessory to take. It is big and heavy, has to go on the roof rack. Not a quick tent, certainly not 30 seconds like they bang on about. Quality does seem good though especially the floor thickness.

Aaron Schubert

As ubiquitous as OzTents seem to be, I've never been a fan. They're not great in awful weather (especially wind), are heavy, and too big to fit in anything but a troopy, which just means more weight on the roof and another thing to catch branches on. The design is good in fair weather, once they've been set up, which is most of the time I suppose. For the cost, the canvas seems subpar too.

While I've never used one myself, I'd love to check one of these out in person. Like an OzTent that packs up to a more reasonable size.

I use a Campmor Safari Rambler, which is basically as indestructible as tents get (8.3mm spring steel poles). Otherwise I'd probably go with a Freedom or Southern Cross centrepole tent.

I have to disagree mate. Absolutely fantastic in all types of weather, including feral wind. They are expensive, but never had a problem with the canvas quality in over 100 nights spent in it.

Aaron

Sean Logue

I disagree too mate , not because i love it. If it had any probs I would say. I have it 2 years now , does hold up well to all weather. Go's on top of the Hilux fine , don't know why you think ya need a Troopy to carry it.

Now I have all the upgrades to the front room , its way better then has ever been... Absolutely a amazing tent...

Photo 9-9-18, 5 44 14 pm by Sean Logue, on Flickr

McGinnis

Go's on top of the Hilux fine , don't know why you think ya need a Troopy to carry it.

On top sure - just another thing to snag branches and adds more weight on the roof. I meant the only thing that could carry one without it going on the roof is a troopy.

But fair enough, I'm glad people like them; I've recommended them to friends before (with the aforementioned caveats), they're just definitely not for me.

patrolgu4

I've got RV4 just for two of us. I like the tent assembly but hate its size when packed, its 2 meters long 20 kg sausage! . It certainly is an exercise trying to bench press it on the roof rack and I don't even want to know how much I'm overloading the roof with all these things when we go out camping.
Storing it in the shed is another PITA.
It is not ~30 secs tent either but it beats conventional tents with ease for sure. I wasn't and still I'm not a fan of this tent but I couldn't find a better alternative and it was a gift from my family in the end. It keeps missus happy cause she can stand up in it and have foldable bed too. Crawling out of tents on all fours is not desirable in my age group anymore, leave it up to kids.
If there is a tent with an ease of assembly as Oztent but half the weight and size I'll swap immediately.
Cheers

peterfermtech

In the 60's my dad owned an EH panel van and my mum sowed up a tent from some canvas on her singer that looked just like this. Mum and Dad slept on a mattress in the back of the van which was where us kids traveled and they backed the van up to the tent. Later he bought an HT panelvan and continued using the tent. Gives me a smile every time I see one.
regards

Sean Logue

On top sure - just another thing to snag branches and adds more weight on the roof. I meant the only thing that could carry one without it going on the roof is a troopy.

But fair enough, I'm glad people like them; I've recommended them to friends before (with the aforementioned caveats), they're just definitely not for me.

And that's fair enough it's not for you.

I been all over the Vic High Country with it , never been snagged. Unless you went down some goat track that no one hardly uses and all over grown.
Weight its only 23 kg spread out over 2 meters , so that nothing.