To go Camping or not to go camping?

smwhiskey

Hi all

After 3 days of working from home, I'm seriously considering self-isolating somewhere out bush (possibly Landcruiser Mountain Park) for a few days.

Any thoughts or advice about the sensibility of this?
One might suggest that the desire to escape is only going to grow stronger the longer we're all confined

Simon

tommyb

Just make sure you take your own supplies. Country towns are in the same situation as the rest of us with shops selling out of the essentials which is putting a real strain on the locals.

Kippie

We still go camping, but unlike previous trips, make sure that we are totally self sufficient in all aspects. I know that it is considered selfish not to support local businesses by buying supplies at local stores, but under the circumstances the locals probably need it more than us.

smwhiskey

Thanks all. Even the thought of escaping for a few days is making the cabin fever feel a little less constrictive :D

Decca

If you can go somewhere not too far from home (easy to get back if necessary), have mobile/sat phone coverage, and be completely self sufficient; sounds a good idea.

Noel Preston

I'm heading off for a few days on Monday as long as work doesn't happen over the weekend. Flat out last month and only one job this month.

discomatt

Flat out last month and only one job this month.
I feel that pain, work has gone from a steady 40-50 hours every week with up to 70 when flat out and now down to 15-20 hours and I am predicting it will drop to 8 soon and that will last for a few months
Hopefully they don't close the state borders , we will go away for 1 month

smwhiskey

I feel that pain, work has gone from a steady 40-50 hours every week with up to 70 when flat out and now down to 15-20 hours and I am predicting it will drop to 8 soon and that will last for a few months
Hopefully they don't close the state borders , we will go away for 1 month
Hey Mate,
Are you near Brisvegas? (Capalaba to be precise). I might have a really small data cabling job for you. Need 3 Ports of Cat 5E connected from the study to various rooms around the house (to keep the younger members of the household happy - apparently wireless access isn't good enough any more).

Simon

discomatt

Hey Mate,
Are you near Brisvegas? (Capalaba to be precise). I might have a really small data cabling job for you. Need 3 Ports of Cat 5E connected from the study to various rooms around the house (to keep the younger members of the household happy - apparently wireless access isn't good enough any more).

Simon
Na mate, I am a Mexican that loiters around the hills near Melbourne

boobook

Hey Mate,

Simon

I just went through that. The latest wifi with good coverage and a full line speed isn't enough. Gotta keep that ping time down for Gaming. LOL.

And Gaming is the only activity for a teenager for the foreseeable future.

LOL

smwhiskey

I just went through that. The latest wifi with good coverage and a full line speed isn't enough. Gotta keep that ping time down for Gaming. LOL.

And Gaming is the only activity for a teenager for the foreseeable future.

LOL
Yeah this is my second run through this process. Originally wired up the kids bedrooms and the lounge room but now one of the kids has moved into the garage and wants a cable hookup and I figure while the people were here doing the job I'd get our bedroom and the living area done as well.

Only quote I got for cabling 3 data points, replace 1 powerpoint and add a new one was over $1500. Only cost us about $450 to get the first 3 data points done.

But If we get locked down and I don't get a better quote then theres a good chance I'll end up doing it myself with the kids doing the monkey work in the ceiling. Its too hot to do it at the moment so we're waiting for the temperature to drop..

Simon

smitty_r51

I paid $880 for 4 room cat6 back to a central hub about 6 months back in Canberra. Took them a couple of hours. All internal walls so wood frame and gyprock