To fill up or not ?

Bomber2012

I was on my way to work this morning and noticed my fuel was getting low , the local servo was just up the road so decided I’d pull-up there . Got to the servo to see the diesel tanker parked up filling their tanks , I decided to keep going as I had enough fuel to get me through til after work .
Am I being a bit precious or does anyone else avoid getting fuel when the tanker is there ?
Ive heard all the crud on the bottom of the servo tanks is stirred up whilst being filled and your buying dirty fuel , what do you think ?
Stop and fill or drive on ?

John U

Hadn't ever thought of this but it makes a lot of sense. Will keep driving if I see a tanker at the servo from now on.

CTL

The newer modern servos have large filters between the tanks and pumps. How often they change them is something to consider :oops:

Also, how do you know a tanker has not just filled the tanks and left without you seeing them.

But having said that, I drive on if I see the tanker in the driveway.

synchro

I always look for somewhere else if the fuel truck is at the servo - it stirs up the servo tank - maybe the systems deal with that, maybe not - however it is just not worth the risk.

itlldoo

all the pumps have their own filters, i know i change them regularly !
not to mention 100's of meters of pipe underground before the fuel reaches the pump
older servos maybe a concern, but they still have filters for particulates,
NOT WATER, we have dip tests, sensors and alarms if there is water ingress now !

synchro

all the pumps have their own filters, i know i change them regularly !
not to mention 100's of meters of pipe underground before the fuel reaches the pump
older servos maybe a concern, but they still have filters for particulates,
NOT WATER, we have dip tests, sensors and alarms if there is water ingress now !

Yes I agree and yet we still hear many reports of vehicles having fuel contamination issues - yes many are from outback sources but many are still from urban service stations so clearly there are still problems.

discomatt

While on our Kimberly trip I filled the Disco 4 from near empty on both tanks, about 160l went in, after I filled up walked around the corner to pay only to see a tanker filling the diesel tanks out the back, AH CRAP was my first thought but nothing I can do now...
Walked in to pay and the attendant asked how my day was, I answered great until I saw the tanker out the back, his response was " Ah don't worry about that all the fuel is filtered and tanks are continually monitored for water and algie because we are liable for damage done to your car."
He stated that people worrying about dirty fuel was a massive con by aftermarket filter suppliers and the service stations are always onto it.
Changed the fuel filter after that trip and the mechanic said it was still like new.

Albynsw

About 7 years ago a Sydney big name station had contaminated fuel and a number of cars were damaged, a mate had both his diesel cars damaged on that day and they were repaired at the fuel companies expense.

Colly18

I've never given consideration to the suggested issue. But my thoughts are the fuel would be filtered to some degree prior to reaching my tank at the bowser. I can't imagine the industry letting too much junk through servo pumps, as surely they would stuff up all the quicker if they did(?) Add to that, particularly with modern vehicles, I place faith in vehicle fuel line filters and suspect regular maitenance there is a bigger issue. For what it is worth over the years I've filled up several times when tankers have been off-loading at servos, without any issues. Maybe my good luck, rather than good judgement? :)

Aza013

About 7 years ago a Sydney big name station had contaminated fuel and a number of cars were damaged, a mate had both his diesel cars damaged on that day and they were repaired at the fuel companies expense.
Yep I know that one very well :(
$15000 engine rebuild payed by fuel company on my other car.

Bomber2012

As mentioned if the tanks are being filled I’d prefer to drive on , the corporate world are not renowned for their honesty.
Its to easy for them to shift blame on an old engine like mine that’s 500k deep , it would be interesting to see where most of the blown engine claims have come from , I’m tipping most are from the cities .

boobook

Every time my fuel warning light has come on ( maybe 6 - 7 times), it was within about 30 mins of filling up at a remote servo.

If there is a tanker there I ask the driver if he has done the diesel yet. If not I fill up. I've asked a few drivers if I'm being paranoid about not filling up after a servo refill. More than one driver has said water and crap get stirred up in the servo tanks, and they'd personally never fill up after seeing a tanker at a Service station.

That's good enough for me.

There is generally little downside in moving on if you manage your fuel. If stuck in a remote location and desperate for diesel. I'd take a break for 30 mins then fill up.

phs

I always keep receipts and 99-100 times fill up at the same servo.

a few weeks ago saw a tanker there asked if he done the diesel yet which we replied yes and off I went

Colly18

This article from the NRMA has good advice. I like the idea of keeping a receipt in case of something

Liked the article bit about 'never fill a diesel vehicle with petrol' :) Had a mate's wife do that and he wondered when things started going haywire 50 km up the road. He was so darn lucky. He managed to get the vehicle trucked back home and we managed to drain the tank and fuel lines and get it running on diesel again. 2 years later and it's still going strong.

dabbler

Family was in retail petroleum (ie servos) for twenty plus years. The old man was head of Franchisee Council for about 8 years and talked regularly with servos operators across Qld. He always said don't take on fuel if a tanker is around because what the public are told and what's said in private aren't always the same. Even if you need to boil the billy down the road, wait as long as you can if options are limited.